D520 LAN/Ethernet not connecting

laserboy

Probably not. I'm not too concerned with the LAN being broken. I rarely use it, honestly. But I'd like to have it working for others that have the BCM4401 and don't have a compatible wireless card, or do not have the means to get one. (They're destitue, cards are unavailable in their region, etc..)

I did find that 10.6.3 was the last version of OS X Snow Leopard that would let me BCM4401 work properly. Anything past that, and the card becomes ignorant.

(Also, anyone else notice that when you adjust the display brightness on their Latitude, the on-screen bezel doesn't display in OS X? Yet, when I push the "Pause" key, it attempts to adjust the display brightness and shows the bezel, however it doesn't actually adjust the brightness. It tries to increase the brightness, but wont. I haven't found a key for dim brightness lol.)

The pause key does say it is increasing the brightness, but nothing happens! Guess that does not bother me. And honestly, for most things the wifi is fine. But when downloading a larger file - i'd rather have the ethernet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pause key does say it is increasing the brightness, but nothing happens! Guess that does not bother me. And honestly, for most things the wifi is fine. But when downloading a larger file - i'd rather have the ethernet.

I took the plunge last night and fired up a Live Ubuntu CD and rebranded my BCM4312 card to an AirPort card.

Results were amazing! I'm finally able to get Wireless N speeds without having the WLAN card drop out of working existence and not function until I reboot. If I had the router in "N" mode, I could surf the web for about 30 seconds on my BCM4312 card before it went stupid and stopped working. If I left it in "G" mode, I never had a problem.

Problem I'm running into is that now in Backtrack 4, I can no longer use the b43 module to test wireless penetration. (Its cool. I have an Intel 2200/B/G/N card that works great for that!) Card works great for Windows though. No issues at all. Still detected as a BCM4321!

But, having OS X pickup my wireless N router and achieve N speeds is going to make me completely forget about not having working LAN lol.

I took the plunge last night and fired up a Live Ubuntu CD and rebranded my BCM4312 card to an AirPort card.

Results were amazing! I'm finally able to get Wireless N speeds without having the WLAN card drop out of working existence and not function until I reboot. If I had the router in "N" mode, I could surf the web for about 30 seconds on my BCM4312 card before it went stupid and stopped working. If I left it in "G" mode, I never had a problem.

Problem I'm running into is that now in Backtrack 4, I can no longer use the b43 module to test wireless penetration. (Its cool. I have an Intel 2200/B/G/N card that works great for that!) Card works great for Windows though. No issues at all. Still detected as a BCM4321!

But, having OS X pickup my wireless N router and achieve N speeds is going to make me completely forget about not having working LAN lol.

Well the n does sound great. I like it on my windows laptop. The D520 was sitting on my office desk collecting dust so now it is perhaps used a little more.

Regarding the LAN, I am not so convinced that it is an issue with installing OSX as an issue with OSX. The web seems to abound by Mac users complaining of this issue with no real solution in sight. I am just hoping that the problem will one day cure itself.

Ive tried booting in safe mode, booting with 1 cpu, playing with various forms of the BCM440x kext,

Can someone tell me how to remove drivers and then have the computer rediscover the card?

Well the n does sound great. I like it on my windows laptop. The D520 was sitting on my office desk collecting dust so now it is perhaps used a little more.

Regarding the LAN, I am not so convinced that it is an issue with installing OSX as an issue with OSX. The web seems to abound by Mac users complaining of this issue with no real solution in sight. I am just hoping that the problem will one day cure itself.

Ive tried booting in safe mode, booting with 1 cpu, playing with various forms of the BCM440x kext,

Can someone tell me how to remove drivers and then have the computer rediscover the card?

Pull out BCM440X.kext from /Extra/Extensions.

Run EDP and select option "1". At the "Kext Configuration" menu, select option "A" to "Rebuild using present config". Reboot.

Then, put BCM440x.kext back in Extra/Extensions and perform the same steps in EDP.

It should rebuild the kext cache and force the BCM440x.kext to reload. When you remove it from Extra and rebuild with EDP, it should remove the LAN from "Networking" in System Preferences.

• Administrators

Hi,

Sorry to tell you, but lan will never work correctly on D520.. the kext is flawed and no better version exists.

Sorry.. for some reason the D520 dont use the same lan chip as the other models.

Hi,

Sorry to tell you, but lan will never work correctly on D520.. the kext is flawed and no better version exists.

Sorry.. for some reason the D520 dont use the same lan chip as the other models.

I've had it work, in 10.6/10.6.3. Don't know what changed, but it stops working there.

Also, it worked phenomenally in Leopard. I think it will work, however I'm not too bothered by it now that I've rebranded my Dell card.

have you tried putting the 10.6.0 kext back?

I used the kext from EDP 1.5. in all of my testing. Same kext works in 10.6.0/10.6.3, however no longer works after that. Couldn't tell you why. Seems to load, LAN shows up in System Preferences, but gets a MAC address of 00:00:00:00:00:00. No way to change it to the legit MAC address that I can see.

• Administrators

the problem with the kext is, that its from 1.4 .. your welcome to see if you can find a newer version.. i sadly dont have a D520 to test on anymore... even better advice, replace it with a D530 :)

the problem with the kext is, that its from 1.4 .. your welcome to see if you can find a newer version.. i sadly dont have a D520 to test on anymore... even better advice, replace it with a D530 :)

Replacing it with a D530 is out of the question. I love my D520 too much!

I did acquire a D820 CoreDuo 2.17Ghz 4Gb RAM with a nVidia 512Mb card. Planning on dropping OS X on that just to see. If it works, it'll become my new HackBook Pro. Also acquired a Insprion 1525 that seems to be pretty compatible with OS X, but I'm thinking about making that a Linux machine.