New Hard Drive, New Problems

Barry

I received a 750GB Seagate Momentus hard drive on Friday and have been trying to get OS X 10.6.7, Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu to run on it. I've come across some odd problems in trying. I have successfully done a dual-boot of OS X and Windows 7 on my 500GB Seagate Momentus hard drive and in a comparison between the two I've come up with some problems that I'm not sure what to do with. Here's what's happening...

I used the USB Installation guide and successfully created 3 partitions on the drive and installed Mac OS X 10.6.7, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Ubuntu 11.04 (Need to switch back to 10.10 due to a lack of firmware for Broadcom). I installed the Chameleon bootloader as suggested in the EDP guide and also downloaded EDP 1.5 rather than 1.8. I set up everything the same way as I had on the 500GB hard drive and restarted. It would go to an error screen where in the top-right corner it would say "boot0: GPT; boot0: test; boot0:test; boot0: error." Using the bootloader on the pen I could still boot into any of the operating systems I wanted, but for some reason the bootloader doesn't quite seem to register on the internal hard drive. Something that caught my attention that I thought was odd is that before I even install Chameleon or run ./edptool.command the system profiler tells me on the 750GB hard drive that I have an nVidia graphics card with Intel being the vendor. Meanwhile, on the 500GB hard drive it says I have the Intel GMA 950 chipset. I believe that I do have the Intel chipset and not the nVidia chipset and so I'm curious if this factors into things. One thing I'm going to try when I get home is swapping my wifi cards. Besides the obvious hard drive change, my wifi card is the only hardware to have changed between OS X installations. I'm curious if the change from the Intel 3945 wifi card and the Broadcom 4311 wifi card may have altered Snow Leopard's profile of an Intel chipset. I've also done different partitioning set ups to see if my issue lies within the set up of the hard drive and I still can't see what's wrong there.

I was curious if maybe the addition of Linux to the series of OSs on my laptop could have been causing a problem and so I tried installing just OS X on the entire hard drive. It still read that I have an nVidia graphics card and not an Intel Chipset. The bootloader still doesn't work. I've also tried variations in which version of Chameleon and which EDP I install and still nothing. I've looked at the preference pane for Chameleon on both hard drives and they are exactly the same. And just as a stretch of possible luck, I copied my Extra folder from the functional hard drive to an external hard drive and pasted its contents into the Extra folder. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. If swapping the wifi cards works I'll update the post.

If anyone has any questions about my system or specifics on what I'm doing feel free to ask.

• Administrators

if you can post your specs in your signature it will help with troubleshooting down the road. depending on which latitude you have there are variants of intel and nvidia so you need to know this. check in windows or linux. when you build edp 1.8 wich works with 10.6.7 update. also has selections for specific variants of latitudes like d620-intel option=4, d620-nvidia option=5 so make sure to build for correct machine. edp 1.8 has a compatible chameleon so you might want to use it... you can go higher if you find it... i think chameleon is at 927 as of last night

if you can post your specs in your signature it will help with troubleshooting down the road. depending on which latitude you have there are variants of intel and nvidia so you need to know this. check in windows or linux. when you build edp 1.8 wich works with 10.6.7 update. also has selections for specific variants of latitudes like d620-intel option=4, d620-nvidia option=5 so make sure to build for correct machine. edp 1.8 has a compatible chameleon so you might want to use it... you can go higher if you find it... i think chameleon is at 927 as of last night

Ah, sorry. I thought I mentioned all of that in the message. I was half-awake when I typed that up. I have a Dell Latitude D620, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7200, and 4GB of RAM. I currently have the Dell 1490 Wireless Card installed, but I just tried installing Mac OS X on the other hard drive with the Intel card in and it didn't seem to change anything. It still says in the system profiler on Mac OS X that I have an nVidia Graphics Card. Sorry if my explanation of things is getting a bit convoluted. I have tried different versions of Chameleon and different versions of the EDP. What process would you suggest going about getting Mac properly working with a bootloader that isn't on a USB Pen?

well have you tried building for d620 nvida by mistake in the past?

I've tried both nvidia and Intel GMA950 for D620 on separate times when I've reformatted the Hard drive. It doesn't seem to change anything.

Hi Barry,

I had the exact problem as you had. I tried many different methods including making the hdd active as suggested by Bronxteck with no success and still facing message of "d0: gpt d0: test d0: test d0: error". I wonder if it is caused by the new 750g Hitachi harddisk (7200rpm). Before this harddisk, I used a 60g harddisk using D620SLV1 method to install OSX with no problem.

Appreciate your kind comment.

By the way, my video accelerator is Nvidia 7300.

Best regards,

FC