D620 - Can't return from black screen

smergs

I'm running osx 10.6.7 on a Dell Latitude D620 (Nvidia).

Overall everything works great (thanks for all of the help on this site!!!).

The issue I am having is instead of going to the screensaver the screen will go black (just using the built in LCD) and then I can't return from the black screen. The OS is still running and I can hear sounds when I am clicking and typing but the screen will not return. (Not Sleep mode) Also it is back lit when it does this, it's just that it isn't displaying anything.

That said, I've had the laptop unplugged and it does go into sleep mode automatically some of the time and will return from it fine when it does.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

I'm running osx 10.6.7 on a Dell Latitude D620 (Nvidia).

Overall everything works great (thanks for all of the help on this site!!!).

The issue I am having is instead of going to the screensaver the screen will go black (just using the built in LCD) and then I can't return from the black screen. The OS is still running and I can hear sounds when I am clicking and typing but the screen will not return. (Not Sleep mode) Also it is back lit when it does this, it's just that it isn't displaying anything.

That said, I've had the laptop unplugged and it does go into sleep mode automatically some of the time and will return from it fine when it does.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

I may have an answer for myself. I think the issue was happening when the display went to sleep. I just set that to never. And actually it looks like the screen saver is coming up. I have a 4 month old baby and typically when I've ran into this it was because I was preoccupied with her so I wasn't keeping an eye on the computer.

Anyway, still back to the same question, is there a fix for this other than disabling sleep mode for the display and the computer itself?

I didn't. I must have overlooked it. Will try now. Thanks!

That didn't fix it. Although, I guess an easy fix would be to just have the computer go to sleep instead of setting the screen to go to sleep. So basically they'll both happen at the same time. That should fix it since it seems to come back fine when the entire computer goes to sleep.

That didn't fix it. Although, I guess an easy fix would be to just have the computer go to sleep instead of setting the screen to go to sleep. So basically they'll both happen at the same time. That should fix it since it seems to come back fine when the entire computer goes to sleep.

Try setting a hotcorner to sleep the display before you close the lid.

I've found that if I close the lid without sleeping the display, the display will NEVER wake back up. Screen turns on, but no image is displayed. I'm forced to hold the power button down on the laptop and turn it off that way.

However, if I set a hotcorner and sleep the display before I close the lid, the screen wakes back up just fine.

• Like 1

Try setting a hotcorner to sleep the display before you close the lid.

I've found that if I close the lid without sleeping the display, the display will NEVER wake back up. Screen turns on, but no image is displayed. I'm forced to hold the power button down on the laptop and turn it off that way.

However, if I set a hotcorner and sleep the display before I close the lid, the screen wakes back up just fine.

I have the same issue. Display doesn't recover from display sleep. When I come back to the laptop and the display is asleep, I just close the lid wait for a couple seconds and reopen and that seems to make the display work again.

I have the same issue. Display doesn't recover from display sleep. When I come back to the laptop and the display is asleep, I just close the lid wait for a couple seconds and reopen and that seems to make the display work again.

I've just recently obtained a d620 NVidia and am currently looking at the DSDT for a fix (no luck yet). I think a solution could be determined if I knew what DSDT methods are called when the driver wakes up the screen. I know the backlight is turned back on, so I was thinking about also calling the video device and telling it to wake up also. Something for the weekend I guess.

Another thing, I had my laptop connected to an external monitor and noticed that when the display wakes from sleep, the external monitor behaves as expected.

Just a quick update:

I tried the fix mentioned in the link above and it didn't help. Originally the DSDT did not have a _DSM entry for the nvidia device, so I added one and after much hacking I got the device to be correctly detected without the need for GraphicsEnabler=Yes. From here I tried the change specified, but that did not help.

On a side note, I realised that the nVidida chip is on a different bus to the GMA chip. From this I was able to construct a DSDT that would work on either chip. This means, I can plug my HDD into my GMA d620 and have graphics work, then plug it into my nVidia d620 without modification.

Some things I noted: The GMA has the backlight abilities in the DSDT _DSM entry which gives the system the ability to dim the display prior to blacking out as well as having the brightness control in the display settings. The nVidia _DSM entry did not have this. I tried adding all the AAPL lines into the _DSM for the nVidia chip but was unable to get any brightness controls in the system.