Mac OSX Lion release

Agrerald

Me thinks that, by selling Lion trough the App Store only (you need to have SnowLeo running) or as an add on to new mac on an USB stick (hence, officially buying Apple HW), Apple is effectively and efficiently killing the discussion if hackintoshing is legal or not. Buying the DVD online or in Apple Store, one could at least claim "I bought it and I can do whatever I want with it. Even install on a non-Apple-HW". Even though it was strictly forbidden by EULA to use it on any other than Apple HW, this EULA was not recognized by courts in many countries. Apple couldn't do a thing about it and hence - they didn't.

But now, without App Store, all new hackintoshers will be unable to buy Lion officially. They will need to use torrent to get a copy. And there is no court covering this. I am curious if Apple will remain tolerant of the hackintosh scene or - now with a clear unlawful situation new hackintoshers will be in - if they'll try to hunt down the scene.

But now, without App Store, all new hackintoshers will be unable to buy Lion officially. They will need to use torrent to get a copy. And there is no court covering this. I am curious if Apple will remain tolerant of the hackintosh scene or - now with a clear unlawful situation new hackintoshers will be in - if they'll try to hunt down the scene.

What if you buy it through the app store like any other user? Install Snow Leopard buy Lion through the AppStore -> -> Install. That's legal AFAIK...

What if you buy it through the app store like any other user? Install Snow Leopard buy Lion through the AppStore -> -> Install. That's legal AFAIK...

That's why I said "all new hackintoshers" will have trouble with it. You will not be able to obtain official Leo or SnowLeo DVD, after Lion is established. Hence, it will not really make any difference, if you torrent one of those to buy Lion trough the AppStore or torrent Lion directly. You will need to pirate one or the other. Not that this will keep many of doing it... but it was kind of "clean" the way it worked.

• Administrators

Got DP4 running on a Dell Latitude D430 using clone method (install on a mbp, then use superduper to clone to a dmg, then on the D430 running SL, clone to the Lion partition, use EDP and wolla)

However.. i have one problem.

My screen is really dark, even when i turn up brightness to 100% its still very dark.. seeing that it turns down brightness durring boot straith after loading fakesmc.. so i guess its some new power function??!

Anyone else have that problem or know of a solution ?

That's why I said "all new hackintoshers" will have trouble with it. You will not be able to obtain official Leo or SnowLeo DVD, after Lion is established. Hence, it will not really make any difference, if you torrent one of those to buy Lion trough the AppStore or torrent Lion directly. You will need to pirate one or the other. Not that this will keep many of doing it... but it was kind of "clean" the way it worked.

I've always had a problem with putting Mac OS X on non officially Apple branded hardware, due to the fact that it indeed does break Apple's EULA and could theoretically become a headache if they find out.

What keeps me doing it?

I have more of a problem with them taking a GNU operating system, tailoring it to their hardware (Which isn't even their hardware anymore.), and charging up the butthole for it. It used to be when you bought an Apple, you were paying for superior hardware and customer care. The OS was just an added benefit. Then, the OS became decent and their hardware was still rock solid. Things were good. Now, I can build a Mac Pro for a quarter of the price Apple is charging and I'm basically paying for an operating system that originally was released under the GPL that has no apparent benefit, and they are forcing me to run it on their computers. Microsoft doesn't do this, and I feel Apple shouldn't be allowed to either.

So, I'll continue to run Snow Leopard on my D520 in a small partition, just so I can continue running later versions of OS X if necessary. Pain in the butt, yes. But I'm done buying Apple's marked up hardware.

I've always had a problem with putting Mac OS X on non officially Apple branded hardware, due to the fact that it indeed does break Apple's EULA and could theoretically become a headache if they find out.

Well, I even have less qualms to use Apple OS on non-Apple HW. Basically because German law experts are claiming since ages, that Apple EULA would not hold the water in front of the court. It's just too one sided and contains some paragraphs which are not covered by or even entirely opposite to German laws. That's probably the reason why Apple never tried to sue any private person acting against EULA in this country (and, AFAIK worldwide). Now, they did sue but then, they sued people who tried to build up a business around hackintoshing.

go into energy saver and uncheck "slightly dim the display while using this power source" then sleep and wake

Leon, that's what I did with D430 and SL, experiencing the same problem. It worked for SL. Did it work with Lion?