D430 / 10.6.6 - boots only from USB, not HDD

moonman

ok what methods do you use to install osx?

maybe something like this can help

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257464&hl=

Thanks. I tried that new Chameleon installer, but no go. I still get the same errors.

I guess at this point I have to reinstall 10.6. Maybe I'll create a new USB pen too, in case it's gotten corrupted or something.

So, any good tips as I recreate my install USB pen?

EDP 1.8 still the best? Which new version of Chameleon is the best? Best update for 10.6 for no problems? 10.6.7? 10.6.8? Other?

Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

you having this issue reminded me some one else on the forum had the same issues and i don't think we came to any conclusion either...

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/495-new-hard-drive-new-problems/page__p__3307__hl__boot__fromsearch__1#entry3307

but my guess is maybe it's as simple as marking the partition active? you did say it was new.

heres a quick guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

you having this issue reminded me some one else on the forum had the same issues and i don't think we came to any conclusion either...

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/495-new-hard-drive-new-problems/page__p__3307__hl__boot__fromsearch__1#entry3307

but my guess is maybe it's as simple as marking the partition active? you did say it was new.

heres a quick guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22844

Thanks but didn't work.

I've reinstalled 10.6 again, with EDP 1.8 and Chameleon 2 CR5 r665. The updated to 10.6.7 without rebooting in between.

Still get the same errors if I try to boot directly to HDD. No problems if I boot to USB and then select HDD in Chameleon screen.

I've rebooted from the USB and am now in Terminal, as per the instructions on the Insanely Mac page you linked to.

As per instructions:

diskutil list > I got /dev/disk0 as the GUID partition scheme, EFI and Apple_HFS (my HD name)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > I got "Enter help for information" and fdisk: 1> p

p > I got Disk: /dev/rdisk0

and a bunch of info about "geometry" and "sectors" (big number)

Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

*table with # id etc.

4 rows, only first has any info

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63

*numbers 2 to 4 just have zeroes.

SO I assume I should select partition 1, right?

**AT THIS POINT I assume I have to type: f 1 (as the partition is 1)

Can someone have a look and see if they can understand anything about the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks but didn't work.

I've reinstalled 10.6 again, with EDP 1.8 and Chameleon 2 CR5 r665. The updated to 10.6.7 without rebooting in between.

Still get the same errors if I try to boot directly to HDD. No problems if I boot to USB and then select HDD in Chameleon screen.

I've rebooted from the USB and am now in Terminal, as per the instructions on the Insanely Mac page you linked to.

As per instructions:

diskutil list > I got /dev/disk0 as the GUID partition scheme, EFI and Apple_HFS (my HD name)

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 > I got "Enter help for information" and fdisk: 1> p

p > I got Disk: /dev/rdisk0

and a bunch of info about "geometry" and "sectors" (big number)

Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55

Starting Ending

*table with # id etc.

4 rows, only first has any info

1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63

*numbers 2 to 4 just have zeroes.

SO I assume I should select partition 1, right?

**AT THIS POINT I assume I have to type: f 1 (as the partition is 1)

Can someone have a look and see if they can understand anything about the problem?

Thanks for any help.

Well, fdisk says I've activated partition 1, but I still can't boot from the HDD.

Could it be a problem with the new hard disk? It's a Samsung 120GB HS12YHA for Macbook Air Rev. A, but the connector is the same and it seems to work okay. Could there be a problem with the partitioning? Would it be worth a try to make 2 partitions and install 10.6 onto a smaller partition, making sure it's the 1st partition?

No idea here.

I wanted to say too that when I just received the new HDD I installed Windows 7 onto it, to see how it ran. I also flashed the Bios to A09.

I have a 2nd D430 that works great, so I've been comparing the two. Re. the boot file, on the old D430 (works great) the boot file is VISIBLE on the main volume. Whereas on the new D430 (problems) the boot file is INVISIBLE.

I used an older boot loader (Chameleon 1.7 I think) for the old D430, which works great. Was there anything different previous to the new install methods?

Looks like a no go.

I've tried redoing my USB pen, re-installing 10.6 a couple of times, using Chameleon Wizard to update to the latest version and make sure that the HFS partition with Snow Leopard is active.

But all I get is the boot0 error if I try to boot directly from the HDD.

Next up, I'm going to try to clone my working 10.6.7 install on my other D430 using Super Duper, then try to clone it to this 2nd D430.

I found a guy on the web who's made a bootable backup clone of a working 10.6.7 hackintosh, but he didn't clone it back to an internal drive.

No idea if it's doable, but nothing to lose.

From what I understand, to make the external bootable clone, he had to:

1) clone the working system with Super Duper to an external USB drive

2) install Chameleon on the cloned system

3) replace the boot file in root from the working system to the cloned system, which made it a bootable working clone.

I would then have to clone the external drive to my internal drive. No idea.

• Administrators

well that's probably because he wanted a mobile image using the usb so he would have a running OS so that it would make it easy to work with the hdd without an adapter (ugh...ziff socket)... imaging a drive is as simple as zipping a file. you can either clone from one drive to another or to a .dmg image. transfer depends on the medium your using. like one partition to another partition on same drive or to a thumbdrive/ usb hdd or to one of those multi thingy's ide/sata/to usb for physical drives.

in your case i would do the usb drive like you stated

clone your working install to a drive that your cloned image would fit to. if edp is already on that image then your good to go as it's the same machine build already. so the only missing part would be to install chameleon to the usb drive and you should be boot-able to your image. then you can setup the native hdd as necessary from within the OS chose source and target wait a while once it's finished then install chameleon to your freshly restored hdd. reboot and you should be good

Well, I got the working HD cloned to the USB drive, then installed Chameleon r665, and it booted up just fine. A little slow, but it worked.

I then formatted the internal HD and cloned my system to it. Then installed Chameleon to it too.

I then rebooted, but once again I get the boot0 error from the internal HD.

Booting from the USB drive, then selecting my internal HD in Chameleon, works fine. The internal HD that had the working system cloned to it is exactly the same as my working system on the other D430.

BUT, I can't boot from it.

No idea what to think now.

I know the HD is okay and so is the RAM.

I installed Windows 7 on this HD 2 days ago and it worked great.

I've tried to activate the partition from Chameleon Wizard and in Terminal, and in both cases it says the partition is activated. But then I can't boot from the HD.

I'm stuck. I'm obviously no expert, so don't know where to go next.

Thanks anyway.

Hi,

The problem could be the drive. I was going to buy a drive from a dealer on eBay but the ad stated that the drive would only work in the iPod and nothing else. I emailed the seller and he stated it had to do with the drive. He stated he would be getting some in that would work with the Dell. If I remember he stated it had to do with the boot sector or something that Apple had specified for the drives?

I hope this helps.

ron

I was actually pretty surprised that using Super Duper worked, just like on a Mac. If I get the boot error sorted out, it looks like cloning via Super Duper could be a nice way to keep not only a perfect backup of your current system, but also a way to install the system quickly onto a new D430.

I'm starting to think it's an incompatibility with the hard drive.

1) I just installed Windows 7 on it and it works fine.

2) I installed Snow Leopard on the D430 last week, with the old hard drive, and it went fine. I used the exact same install procedure with a USB pen as I'm trying to do now. I had no problems booting from the HD.

The old drive was a 120GB Samsung HS122JC. I replaced it because it was a bit noisy and I didn't trust its reliability in the short term.

The new drive is a 120GB Samsung HS12YHA/A for Macbook Air Rev. A, and it is new and covered by warranty. seems to be in perfect working order. It has a slightly different form factor than the old drive, but the connector is the same and it connects perfectly to the D430 hard drive connector.

Has anyone ever heard of any incompatibility with this drive and OSX86 installs?