After update to 10.6.8 I lost wi-fi and ethernet

poldas

Same thing happened to me. Thought my Broadcom card went out and took my keyboard off and everything to check it. Wish I would have read here about other people having problems. Can someone please help on how to roll back to the 10.6.7 kexts as mentioned.

Thanks for any help provided.

Similar problem but not quite the same.

I have a Dell D620 with nVidia graphics. I installed an Atheros AR5BXB6 which is a unit that has been sold in macs before. Installing 10.6.0 gave me a faultless wifi performance. When I upgrade to either 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 the wifi stops working. I don't think that rolling back the kexts (however that may be achieved) to 10.6.7 will therefore work in my case. Perhaps they can be rolled back to 10.6.0? I have gone through this process 3 or 4 times now and it's very reproducible.

Everything else on the Dell works with the new update, it's just the wifi that's the problem.

This seems to be common with 10.6.8. Can someone please provide some suggestions and instructions.

Thanks,

Darren.

• Administrators

the only thing i could think of is you need to revert to 10.6.0 - 10.6.3 networking kext... we have been going through this since the 10.6.4 update i guess people have forgotten about this issue and it always rears it's ugly head on every update since. you can use pacifist to extract the kexts you need from one of the combo updates. which kexts? depends on what wifi you have as most have replaced there intel wifi with something different only you know what has been bought! lol..

Thanks again Bronxteck for the reply.

So I use Pacifist to extract kexts. So what your saying is that I need the combo update 10.6.3. I see that Apple still has it on their site. So I will download that and Pacifist.

I have the Broadcom 1490 (4311 on the Chip.)

So I guess I would the networking Kext would be pretty obvious.

Just taking a stab at it, on the Rebranding my wifi card as Airport webpage (on this site), would I use those Product/Vendor IDs as a means of identification.

Thanks again for your help.