After update to 10.6.8 I lost wi-fi and ethernet

poldas

Im getting really confused now. Should I be using the Pacifist way or the smbios.plist way. I understand the Pacifist way...I just dont know what I am looking for. I tried looking last night using Pacifist and Combo update 10.6.3 and I got way to lost. I have no idea where to look in what directories or what file I am even looking for. And the smbios.plist way is way over my head. I am just a newbie and don't even really understand directory structure etc. of the Mac OS so this talk of doing this and that and editing is way over my head. I don't even know where this file is located and even if I find, what I should do with it. Is it a simple cut and paste with a plist file I find on the internet matching the similar specs of my D620 or I have to edit it using ID/Product numbers...I have no idea.

So please:):) if we mention something like this, please include what I have to do to wet wifi back. I appreciate the help so far very much. I just get really overwhelmed. I like baby steps first and then bigger steps later.

Thanks again.

Beeson, I am really sorry man as I feel I messed it all up cuz two different issues got into the same thread. Anyway, what do you have as a computer? D620 => Macbook 2,1 boot plist, D630 => MB 3,1 plist, both posted here. What I would suggest for your wifi card is just to rebrand it as Airport! Download Ubuntu, waste an hour of your life (if you are really confused) and may be 10 minutes if you are not :D Just rebrand your card. You should get native support in OSX if you do that, which theoretically is update resistible. GOOD LUCK!

Do you want me to fix the DSDT I sent you for your resolution? And then send it back again to you?

P.S.

Ok, HERE, this is the same DSDT I sent you, only for 1440x900 resolution. Please, after you extract the dsdt file rename to dsdt.aml. Try and tell me if it works for you.

-Simon

Hi Simon,

Same error after trying the updated DSDT. I tried to also copy it into the root and /Extras but still got the same error.

Nick

Hey don't worry simeonoff :rolleyes::rolleyes: I wasnt directing anything at you or anyone else. I just a little frustrated because I don't know anything about Mac. Its mainly a side hobby I have to make a Hackintosh computer. Its interesting the discussion we are having about this and I enjoy reading it a lot.

I have a D620, 4gb ram, Nvidia graphics and a Broadcom 1490 card I installed in it. Had it working up until the 10.6.8 update and lost just the Wifi.

I am thinking of rebranding, but I just don't have the stuff as of right now, A usb drive that I can dedicate to Ubuntu etc. And I was going away this weekend so I was just wanting a quick fix.

So when I do rebrand which I have a question about in itself, this will take care of the problem of updates and losing wifi.

I bought the card off Ebay, and it was recognized instantly after messing around with it and on a new install, after I figured out the switch etc. But from what I have read, it recognizes it as a 3rd party card. With this card, to me, it seemed like it recognized it as a Airport Card even though I haven't rebranded it yet. But I am not familiar enough with it to know what it should have looked like

Hi Simon,

Same error after trying the updated DSDT. I tried to also copy it into the root and /Extras but still got the same error.

Nick

:( The only thing that comes to my mind is you replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext with the ones from 10.6.7. Make sure you delete the original files first, and then put the ones I attached in your S/L/E folder. Repair permissions and rebuild kextkache, I recommend Kext Wizard. Here.

Hey don't worry simeonoff :rolleyes::rolleyes: I wasnt directing anything at you or anyone else. I just a little frustrated because I don't know anything about Mac. Its mainly a side hobby I have to make a Hackintosh computer. Its interesting the discussion we are having about this and I enjoy reading it a lot.

I have a D620, 4gb ram, Nvidia graphics and a Broadcom 1490 card I installed in it. Had it working up until the 10.6.8 update and lost just the Wifi.

I am thinking of rebranding, but I just don't have the stuff as of right now, A usb drive that I can dedicate to Ubuntu etc. And I was going away this weekend so I was just wanting a quick fix.

So when I do rebrand which I have a question about in itself, this will take care of the problem of updates and losing wifi.

I bought the card off Ebay, and it was recognized instantly after messing around with it and on a new install, after I figured out the switch etc. But from what I have read, it recognizes it as a 3rd party card. With this card, to me, it seemed like it recognized it as a Airport Card even though I haven't rebranded it yet. But I am not familiar enough with it to know what it should have looked like

I found this They mention of how to fix non working wifi cards. I myself use a USB wifi card, since my built-in wifi is intel. But yeah, You basically need IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.6.7. If there is something you should look for when in Pacifist, I think these are the files.

:( The only thing that comes to my mind is you replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext with the ones from 10.6.7. Make sure you delete the original files first, and then put the ones I attached in your S/L/E folder. Repair permissions and rebuild kextkache, I recommend Kext Wizard. Here.

I appreciate the help. I tried to patch and then double click on my drive and couldn't to delete the existing kexts. When I tried to run the KextWizard with the kexts, it kept on crashing. I think it may be best to just stay at 10.6.7 for now?

I've just installed the O/S at least 10 times :)

• Administrators

I appreciate the help. I tried to patch and then double click on my drive and couldn't to delete the existing kexts. When I tried to run the KextWizard with the kexts, it kept on crashing. I think it may be best to just stay at 10.6.7 for now?

I've just installed the O/S at least 10 times :)

what chameleon version are you running bye the way?

Well I tried it again by keeping the finder and Kext Wizard open prior to running the update 10.6.0 --> 10.6.8. Deleted the existing kexts by dragging them to the trash, then installing the older kexts and finally repairing all of the Extras and S/L/E.

Now I am getting an

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x2acc8a): "Version mis-match between Kernel (23) and CPU PM (21) "@/CourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.15.3/osdmk/i386

Chameleon is version 2.0-RC5 r747 which is the one that was on EDP 1.8.

Nick