OSX Lion on D630

Duscrom

I'm running a Dell D630 on w/ nVidia GPU and 2 GB of RAM. I plan to upgrade to 4 GB soon, and hopefully an SSD.

Anyway. I'm wondering about the upgrade process for Lion from SL. Will the App store update work? What if I wanted to install it on my current System? I had to use Pirate EFI-X just to install SL on this system, though it runs on Chamellian. (Don't ask.. it was a long painful process, but works)

I can't get Lion GM to boot on my D630 Nvidia, I dont know what Im missing, followed the same process I used to install DP4, but hangs. Its not locked up, keyboard and such still function, but doesnt load the GUI to install it.

Well I got Lion GM going!

What I did was followed this guide to create my install media:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

After installing the Extra_Lion_DP4.pkg to my USB media I replaced two files modified to work with Lion so that it works flawlessly.

LionGM_D630_NVIDIA_Extra.zip

put these two files into the extra dir, over writing any existing.

DSDT.aml - modified to replace the _ADR with _UID in device (PCI0)

smbios.plist - modified with a correct smBoardProduct.

After putting these two files in to place the system boots perfectly with out any random freezes etc. even no need to replace AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext

Hope this helps!

Edit 7 July 2011

Known issue with OSX Lion on D630 NVidia

* Graphics has severe artifacts on 3D games after a random amount of time, usually minutes.

Any one have any suggestions, I don't know if I can use the kexts from 10.6.8 or what?

Edited by devious
  • Like 1

Hey Devious

I've got a D630 intel and tried following your guide + that on insanelymac but without success. When booting the install partition, I get a terminal screen (as with verbose mode) that runs through a long list of files it's loading, and then finally the system just reboots.

Are there any tips on getting this working, or could you perhaps share an image of your working install (I can host it).

Thanks,

James

Hey Devious

I've got a D630 intel and tried following your guide + that on insanelymac but without success. When booting the install partition, I get a terminal screen (as with verbose mode) that runs through a long list of files it's loading, and then finally the system just reboots.

Are there any tips on getting this working, or could you perhaps share an image of your working install (I can host it).

Thanks,

James

James,

I think that's because the DSDT is for the NVidia model.

if you send me a dump of your DSDT or if you have a working OSX, I used DSDTSE to dump the DSDT and then searched for Device (PCI0). under that you should see Name (_ADR, Zero) change _ADR to _UID, hit the compile button and place that in the place of the DSDT file.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. I worked on mine for weeks before I found a valid fix. I'll work to help you until we find a valid fix.

If any of the gurus on the forum happen to read this and have any insight it would be appreciated ;)

It should have dawned on me - the files quite clearly say NVIDIA! Whoops. I can certainly send you my working DSDT that I've got running on 10.6.7 - that would be great.

Out of interest - I have an image of a clean install of Lion on a Macbook Pro (from the notes, Clean Install Snow Leopard, Clean Install Lion - shutdown before Intro Video/Registration and image) - do you think there's a chance of getting this working or would the install method posted via InsanelyMac be best?

Thanks,

James

What steps did you take Bronxteck?

I did the following without success...

Restore Lion Image to clean partition

Install Chameleon RC5

Install EDP

Tried to boot but just ends up rebooting. I'm going to try Devious' method - with the correct DSDT and see how I get on

Thanks!

Dazzler, hence Dassler, hence simeonoff, hence me... Yes, I will be glad to share my dsdt with you guys, it should work just fine with any D630 with Intel graphics, Try it an see if it suits your taste. It works with any version of SL 10.6.x (including 10.6.8) and of course Lion boots up just fine as well.

Few remarks and thoughts on how to get Lion roaring on your D630:

1. Create a bootable installation flash drive with Lion, by restoring from Base_System. (Simply follow this guide)

2. Follow the guide up to the point of just restoring the original files to the flash. Don't install the suggested Extra folder.

3 .Copy the Extra folder that I attached below to the root of your flash drive with Lion on it.

4. Run Kext Wizard -> Rebuild Kextcache and repair permissions of the /Extra folder that you just copied to your Lion installation flash.

5. Install chameleon to the flash. I recommend using revision 1095. Attached below as well.

6. Reboot, boot with the Flash, Install Lion.

7. After installation is done, boot into your SL or any other OS X partition, but Lion's.

8. Copy the "Extra" folder from the flash to the root of your newly installed Lion partition.

9. Repair /Extra using Kext Wizard.

10. Ok, before you reboot there is one thing you should know. Lion will not detect your KB (it will but the setup assistant will not). Two things you can do here to bypass the stupid Setup Assistant KB check. If you have a usb keyboard, attach that when asked for a keyboard by the Setup Assistant on first boot in Lion. If you don't have an external Keyboard go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/ of you Lion partition and open the Info.plist and delete two strings <string>DeviceSelection</string> and <string>KeyboardTypeSelection</string>. Save the Info.plist. Aaaand that's it.

11. You are all set! Enjoy your new Lion setup.

Lion_Extra.zip

Chameleon 2 RC5 VS.dmg.zip

• Like 2

Thanks for your contribution simeonoff!

I made progress yesterday, using my DSDT (from working 10.6.8) and editing as per Devious' suggestion above.

This will not allow me to boot into the install routine - on first attempt I selected a partition to install to, and the system halted very shortly after the progress bar showed, saying 'Installing Lion' and giving an estimated time of 20 minutes. I rebooted and this time it's erroring saying I cannot install Lion on this computer - I'm guessing something has gone astray here.

I will give your suggested method a try!

Thanks for your help everyone!