OSX Lion on D630

Duscrom

Ok so to be clear, its distorted graphics on power on and acts like its going to boot but does not?

Yes, the graphics are completely distorted - you can see the top right corner where it says press F2 for setup and F12 for boot options and then you can see the progress bar over top of it but it gets 3/4 of the way across and freezes (regardless of having a USB device in or not at boot)

Yes, the graphics are completely distorted - you can see the top right corner where it says press F2 for setup and F12 for boot options and then you can see the progress bar over top of it but it gets 3/4 of the way across and freezes (regardless of having a USB device in or not at boot)

OK, well what it really needs is a bake, BUT you can do this to get the system going as well. remove the keyboard and loosen screws I believe 2 and 3 on the cooling system ( two closest to the gpu so that it takes the heatsink off of the gpu. power on the system and go immediately into the bios and let it sit until the machine shuts off on its own( its a safety feature in the system) this will cause the gpu to heat up and in my case it heated up and redid the connections. This is a common problem on D630's even if you turned in to get the fix after the Nvida Lawsuit. once the machine shuts off screw down the heatsink and power on once more, you should have a working system once again.

I've had to do this atleast three times before on my system, but was remedied once I got speedstep working on my GPU and CPU, Ive yet to have to do it again.

quick note on the screws on the heatsink, dont tighten them down as far as they will go, just so that the heatsink is snug on the gpu.

OK, well what it really needs is a bake, BUT you can do this to get the system going as well. remove the keyboard and loosen screws I believe 2 and 3 on the cooling system ( two closest to the gpu so that it takes the heatsink off of the gpu. power on the system and go immediately into the bios and let it sit until the machine shuts off on its own( its a safety feature in the system) this will cause the gpu to heat up and in my case it heated up and redid the connections. This is a common problem on D630's even if you turned in to get the fix after the Nvida Lawsuit. once the machine shuts off screw down the heatsink and power on once more, you should have a working system once again.

I've had to do this atleast three times before on my system, but was remedied once I got speedstep working on my GPU and CPU, Ive yet to have to do it again.

quick note on the screws on the heatsink, dont tighten them down as far as they will go, just so that the heatsink is snug on the gpu.

Interesting approach on this - I will certainly try it. Of course being a holiday week and me out of town I don't actually have the machine! So I will try this when I get back to it.

So, on another note - which BIOS do you have then? Do you have the patched one or the standard Dell? Just curious so I can have the recovery ready if need be.

Interesting approach on this - I will certainly try it. Of course being a holiday week and me out of town I don't actually have the machine! So I will try this when I get back to it.

So, on another note - which BIOS do you have then? Do you have the patched one or the standard Dell? Just curious so I can have the recovery ready if need be.

Im using the official A17 Bios, as the one on this forum isnt functioning correctly

Dazzler, hence Dassler, hence simeonoff, hence me... Yes, I will be glad to share my dsdt with you guys, it should work just fine with any D630 with Intel graphics, Try it an see if it suits your taste. It works with any version of SL 10.6.x (including 10.6.8) and of course Lion boots up just fine as well.

Few remarks and thoughts on how to get Lion roaring on your D630:

1. Create a bootable installation flash drive with Lion, by restoring from Base_System. (Simply follow this guide)

2. Follow the guide up to the point of just restoring the original files to the flash. Don't install the suggested Extra folder.

3 .Copy the Extra folder that I attached below to the root of your flash drive with Lion on it.

4. Run Kext Wizard -> Rebuild Kextcache and repair permissions of the /Extra folder that you just copied to your Lion installation flash.

5. Install chameleon to the flash. I recommend using revision 1095. Attached below as well.

6. Reboot, boot with the Flash, Install Lion.

7. After installation is done, boot into your SL or any other OS X partition, but Lion's.

8. Copy the "Extra" folder from the flash to the root of your newly installed Lion partition.

9. Repair /Extra using Kext Wizard.

10. Ok, before you reboot there is one thing you should know. Lion will not detect your KB (it will but the setup assistant will not). Two things you can do here to bypass the stupid Setup Assistant KB check. If you have a usb keyboard, attach that when asked for a keyboard by the Setup Assistant on first boot in Lion. If you don't have an external Keyboard go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/ of you Lion partition and open the Info.plist and delete two strings <string>DeviceSelection</string> and <string>KeyboardTypeSelection</string>. Save the Info.plist. Aaaand that's it.

11. You are all set! Enjoy your new Lion setup.

Hi I'm trying to follow the guide above, and Ive got to the point (step 4.) where i need to repair the kext permissions after adding the /extra folder to the root of the Lion Install USB.

Unfortunately I am running 10.5.8 and the Kext Wizard is telling me I this app cannot be run on 10.5.8 - is there any other way to repair these permissions?

Hi I'm trying to follow the guide above, and Ive got to the point (step 4.) where i need to repair the kext permissions after adding the /extra folder to the root of the Lion Install USB.

Unfortunately I am running 10.5.8 and the Kext Wizard is telling me I this app cannot be run on 10.5.8 - is there any other way to repair these permissions?

Where did you get this guide from? I had some good success my D630 but did this:

I would first start by getting the usual downloads and setting up your USB installer.

*myHack works great, get this

Then you will just want to follow the wiki starting with these three tips:

*http://www.osxlatitude.com/lion/

*EDP: http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/

*Extra: http://www.osxlatitu...pported-models/

and then move into what you have done thus far and what is/isn't working. Then we can assist diagnosing the issue and forming a resolution! :)

Good luck!