Triple boot: Osx/Win/Linux

qaz

In anticipation of having more than one operating system on my D620 Intel version I partitioned my drive in 3 different partitions under the GUID partition table before I installed Snow Leopard in it. All went well and I am posting from it right now, but I haven't installed the other OSes nor made a GPT conversion yet.

I partitioned my 250GB drive as follows:

Disk0s1 = 120 GB for Osx ------(already running 10.6.8)

Disk0s2 = 110 GB for Windows --(unused partition -I haven't installed anything there yet)

Disk0s3 = 20 GB for Linux -----(unused partition -I haven't installed anything there yet)

(Sizes are aproximate of course)

As I was reading the wiki regarding dual booting the instructions at one point said that Windows would install in the 4th partition of the drive :blink:

I don't mind following instructions to the T, but do I need to repartition de 2 unused partitions to reflect what the wiki says or can I go on the way I have it, convert the partitiion table to GPT and install Windows in my second partition and Linux in the 3rd partition as I originally imagined I could?

Thanks!

Should I make the assumption that this topic is beyond the expertise of the 30+ forum members who read the topic?

Did I offend anyone without realizing it on my 1st post?

• Administrators

lol... no sorry it's just that at this moment we are developing edp1.9 so time is a bit scarce... and i don't think any of the members are running 3 different os's we are just concentrating on Lion and 10.6.7/8.

as for 4 partitions windows being the fourth in my case i did not do that and may not be necessary ...i think if you install grub the wrong way it creates a swap file that can lead to a fourth partition, unless you take into account the 210mb efi partition that gets generated by default then yes it is 4 but you only create 3 as efi is not visible. it's confusing and thats probably why no one has touched the subject... lol... i loaded windows on the second partition (really 3rd) and unbuntu on the third (really 4th) but it didn't last to long before i got tired of fixing the damn windows partition every time i messed around with chameleon... yeah it was nice but useless after awhile. Im a pc guy and i found that osx was less strenuous on my life...lol it fulfilled my daily needs

so to recap this ramble

1st part was efi 210 mb (generated automatically when partitioning)

2nd part lets call it 1st mountable partition OSX

3nd part lets call it 2nd mountable partition Windows

4th part lets call it 3rd mountable partition TimeMachine Backup... or whatever lets say unbuntu but this too was a major pain in the ars to get working properly and grub destroyed the whole boot loader setup and again had to start from scratch many times (But it is possible and chameleon can boot all three correctly... Google was my best friend )until i got wise and started cloning the installed partitions which was dependent to the os but i think i used Clonezilla don't remember... then reimaged them back in the order i wanted.... (Are you sure you want to go thru all this... lol)

OK, I might be biased, ignorant or just unable to grasp the concept: why bother installing such a complicated configuration?

With OS X you have a perfect platform to virtualize virtually (pun intended) all OS's you might need. I am using Parallels for a long time now and whenever I need Windows (which version ever), I just start it, without the need to power down, reboot and tinker around complicated setup environments. The same is valid for Linux and some other Unix OS's. You can also run an instance of OS X in an VM (server by default, client with some tricks). And, at least according to some involved, you would be even able to virtualize Lion within Lion by default.

If Parallels or VMWare are to expensive, you can always use Virtual Box. It works out of the box.

Well, that's me, your milage might vary.

(English is my second language. I needed to convey the idea a little better so I edited it a bit, thanks for your replies).

OMG! Just when I threw the towell, then I come back and there's more than one answer!!! Oh well. To answer the question as to why would anyone be interested in running Windows in a non emulated environment the answer is that there's more to Windows than office apps. Office apps can now even run well right from the cloud. A great example of that is Audio applications. It turns out that there are audio applications that do not exist in the Mac. For those like me who switched to the Mac at a later point in their digital endeavors and might have been doing audio recordings (multitrack recording) using Windows apps for a few years emulation is not an option. When it comes to audio applications you need the full power of the hardware and then more. You can always name great audio apps that are either multi-platform or are exclusive to the Mac that would be a great substitute to many Windows audio applications but that doesn't mean much when you have done an entire album for a customer let's say (or for yourself or whatever) using a specific audio application written for Windows and a few years later the cousin of the sister of the step dad of your best friend knows someone who is a producer and loves the song but can't stand the fact that the cowbell is not loud enough. Then you go, fire up Windows, bring up the project back (it wouldn't load in any other software since it's not a spreadsheet) and there it is you do some chain compression work to the Cowbell, listen to the mix, export the file and done. Instruments in many of these software packages are a lot of times emulations of classic hardware (synthesizers, samplers and effects) and they take TONS of CPU cycles on their own and in some extreme circumstances you would distribute the CPU load between several computers. (This is becoming less common as CPUs are becoming more and more powerful though that's not exactly the case with our Dells in here). So as you can see we are not yet at the stage where you could run hardware emulation (synthesizers, samplers and effects) inside of a software package that's also being emulated in a Virtual Windows environment in a Mac. That might be an option in 4 years maybe.

So being able to dual boot in scenarios like these matters lots.