10.8.5 PS2 trackpad / touchpad worked better during install.

appletosh

Installed 10.8.5 on my old laptop (C776CA). The trackpad during the installation process was very smooth and not overly sensitive.

After the installation, it's extremely sensitive and does not work very well. I also cannot change any settings in the Trackpad section in System Preferences, as it does not detect a trackpad to be present, even though it "works."

I would like to know how to get the same trackpad driver / kext that was used during the installation, as it worked much better.

Thanks!

OK, I may be mistaken about it being PS2. Those kexts were already there and I ran myFix and nothing changed.

I'm really confused now. Perhaps it's not a PS2 device? What are the names of other trackpad kexts? I don't know which ones to copy over from the USB installer.

It didn't show up in the lspci command I ran in Terminal. Is there a method to find out what my device is?

Thanks!

• Administrators

What machine are we talking about here, let's start by the beginning to clarify everything.

Trackpad kexts are called xxxPS2xxx. Did you replace the existing PS2 kexts you found in your /Extra/Extensions by those found in the same folder of the USB installer? Try that and re-run myFix (full), then report back.

Not sure how to post the list, but it was just the default/generic Extra folder in any myHack (3.3) installation or app. I tried with Lion and mLion and it happened on both.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. I've since given up on the machine (HP/Compaq C700 series) I'm trying this on, there's just a few too many things, as I've discovered, that just won't work properly beyond Leopard/Tiger.