OS X Mavericks - Update or Clean Install?

Dan_Marshall

Hi all,

As the title suggests - I am going to upgrade my Hackintosh 'Plex' Server this weekend to Mavericks (Dell Optiplex 745 DT, currently 10.8.5). I'm just curious, is it best to:

a) Update to Mavericks with my 'myHack 3.3 Mavericks installer - If so, how can this be done?

B) Clean instal Mavericks using the myHack 3.3 Mavericks installer

All my hackintosh machines over the years were made with mHack so would no have no trouble doing the install clean using my extra folder. But, I have read a few people doing Mavericks as an upgrade and wanted to see if there is a specific way for this using myHack (all my OS progressional installs have been 'clean')

The machine is running perfectly and have used myHack as my main installation procedure.

Oh and by the way, many congrats to the team merging with Conti to bring some of the best (IMHO) Hackintosh minds and resources available to all of us under the one roof!  :)

Regards,

Dan

Tried the update (from the Darwin load page - select OSX myHack installer) and updated successfully to 10.9 :) on Dell Optiplex 745

Generally an improvement and snappiness 'feel' to the OS. Was a few issues with my back up apps not working as they should and since this is a media server (and I'm totally crazy for cloning / back ups) I have riverted back to 10.8.5 until these issues are resolved as I'm not confident to run the system without scheduled back ups working properly.

On another Hackintosh (Dell Optiplex 990, i5 & Nvidia 8400GS) - Updated as above and the system is very sweet and running really well :)

Dan

• Administrators

Hi,

In theory, you can "upgrade" to Mavericks by doing a fresh install over your existing ML partition. You wouldn't lose anything.

However, I would strongly advise that you 1st try a fresh install of 10.9 on a small dedicated partition. This could avoid any nasty surprises in case there are issues. At least, you'd keep your ML installation intact and you could make an image out of it to keep as a full backup.

Hi Hervé,

Thanks for the suggestions - will definately try.

As above - I am a stickler for clones / back ups so have a few options I can try. The biggest thing for me is my back up strategy does not work on Mavericks as it did in ML (Mostly due to a software issue with Carbon Copy Cloner but am sure it could easily be resolved with an update),  so I will need to investigate this a bit more before I take the plunge to Mavericks for the Dell Optiplex 745.

Will try a clean install and take it from there.

Love this forum and the OSX Latitude / myHack combining together :)

Dan