Mavericks on E6420 Intel HD3000

ohpossum

Mavericks working on an e6420 with Intel HD 3000

Here are my steps (this is going from memory):

1) Created myHack installation disk using Patel's guide - https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/3112-e6410-mavericks-guide/ (Note: Don't use the E6410 M file from Patel's Guide)

2) After myHack is done copying the Maverick install files to the USB drive, copy the attached E6420_Extras folder to the myHack drive. 

3) Eject the myHack drive and attach it to the e6420. Boot from the myHack drive. If it doesn't boot, put it back on your original machine, run myHack again and install Chameleon to the myHack drive

4) When available, boot the myHack drive with "-f -v". Eventually it will prompt for choosing your language.. Chose wisely. next choose Utilities -> Disk Utility to start Disk Utility to format the e6420's internal drive. Chose 1 partition, GUID, name it whatever you'd like.

5) After partitioning, quit Disk Utility. Click on Utilities again and choose myHack. Chose "Install Chameleon" and install it on the newly partitioned internal drive. 

6) Quit myHack and go forward with the install. 

7) After install, myHack will prompt for which Extra to use. Choose "use my own" and pick the "E6420_Extras" folder on the myHack drive. 

8) I had to force the post-install reboot by holding down the power button. 

After it reboots, when available, boot with "-f -v" and you should be good to go.

Notes:

Factory wifi (Dell 1501) doesn't work and won't work..ever. I put an older wifi card from a d630 in the WWAN slot. 

Dual dvi monitors on the docking station work if you run NoSleep (https://code.google.com/p/macosx-nosleep-extension/) and shut the laptop's lid.

Ethernet port on the docking station works unless you disconnect it and reconnect it. The driver isn't sensing the connection status correctly and will show "Not Connected" when it is reconnected. 

USB on the docking station is flaky..still working on that. 

Volume controls don't work for the headphone jack. I installed the VoodooHDA Pref Pane, but it doesn't seem to do anything. 

I never had any luck with myFix actually working. After moving kexts around I repaired disk permissions using Disk Utility. It also stuck that myHack.kext in S/L/E which caused all sorts of problems. 

you really can't go wrong with "sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/", "sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/", "sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/", and "sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/"

E6420_Extras.zip

Hello everybody.

I just want to let you all know that I installed Maverick. As Jake Lo, It's the same as install ML but with one difference  After the installation the system always need to start with -f, so I just used the Chameleon Wizard and told it to start with -f option all the time. Now everything is starting just fine.

The only issue that I have is with the headphone. For some reason It's not working, I plug my headphone but the system doesn't know and everything keeps playing in the speakers. With ML that wasn't an issue. Jake Lo, do you have the same problem?

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro 

• Moderators

Hello everybody.

I just want to let you all know that I installed Maverick. As Jake Lo, It's the same as install ML but with one difference  After the installation the system always need to start with -f, so I just used the Chameleon Wizard and told it to start with -f option all the time. Now everything is starting just fine.

The only issue that I have is with the headphone. For some reason It's not working, I plug my headphone but the system doesn't know and everything keeps playing in the speakers. With ML that wasn't an issue. Jake Lo, do you have the same problem?

Any ideas of how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro 

Test this one by telanx.

Hi Jake Lo, as usual, thanks for your help.

Something weird happens, I installed the kext using kextUtility and after reboot I lost the sound. I don't know if it was a user problem (me) or what, so I decided to run MyFix to try to repair and return to the previous status. That worked, I was able to recover the sound and also the jack headphone are working. So, basically, I don't know what I do wrong or what I do ok but is working :D

Regards

Alejandro

• Moderators

Hi Jake Lo, as usual, thanks for your help.

Something weird happens, I installed the kext using kextUtility and after reboot I lost the sound. I don't know if it was a user problem (me) or what, so I decided to run MyFix to try to repair and return to the previous status. That worked, I was able to recover the sound and also the jack headphone are working. So, basically, I don't know what I do wrong or what I do ok but is working :D

Regards

Alejandro

KextUtility install file to SLE, you should stick with myHack when you update kext. Put new kext in E/E, run myHack/myFix (quick).

Hey guys,

So I update this post as I believe it is more specific than the "E6420 Research Thread".

I have successfully installed Maverick (OS X 10.9)

I have almost everything working here, here the list of what doesn't work :

- SD Card (Don't think it can ever work, Can anyone confirm ?)

- Quicktime and QuickLook on video (CoreAudio/CoreVideo crash ?)

- Sleep

- Battery Status

- Screen brightness

What annoyed the most (but is now working):

- WiFi (Replaced with Broadcom BCM94322HM8L)

- The sound (Finally got it right thx to Jake Lo, I stole the AppleHDA.kext from there)

- The resolution at boot (Also modify E6430 smbios.plist --with vimdiff-- using the smbios.plist from JakeLo, thank you for this !!!)

- Trackpad (I used RehabmanMerge.zip 979.39KB from there, thank you Bpedman !!!)

Ok so I modified the package Dell Latitude E6430 from Compatibility & Bootpacks, and changed the few details listed above to match the E6420. This finally after two weeks work pretty well.

Ok, So back to what does not work :

> Sleep (I'd say it doesn't matter much, I have bought a 120Gb SSD for 60EUR / Universal Caddy for 10EUR)

My boot will be fast enough, to disable sleep and just shutdown the hackintosh whenever not in use.

> SD Card (I don't really care either)

> Battery Status (I have a running laptop with 0% battery life, bet you're jealous)

> Screen Brightness (Is it any patch for this)

> Quicktime, Ok I'd say it doesn't matter as VLC works fine, and flash / html5 etc...

Now the big trouble is that the laptop heat a lot, and sucks the battery pretty fast.

I am really concerned about the heat even doh, it is smooth and only crash when readin video using Quicktime or the Quicklook.

The strange thing is that Final Cut Pro which I think also use CoreVideo / CoreAudio run fine.

Can anyone help please ?

This built is really the only thing I could use so feel free to use it.

(Indeed the Nero Extra provided by JakeLo, make my E6420 flickering on black screen, until the screen stay stuck in black).

JakeLo, if you got some time to help me on this, I would really appreciate it.

Extra.zip

• Moderators

Hey guys,

So I update this post as I believe it is more specific than the "E6420 Research Thread".

I have successfully installed Maverick (OS X 10.9)

I have almost everything working here, here the list of what doesn't work :

- SD Card (Don't think it can ever work, Can anyone confirm ?)

- Quicktime and QuickLook on video (CoreAudio/CoreVideo crash ?)

- Sleep

- Battery Status

- Screen brightness

What annoyed the most (but is now working):

- WiFi (Replaced with Broadcom BCM94322HM8L)

- The sound (Finally got it right thx to Jake Lo, I stole the AppleHDA.kext from there)

- The resolution at boot (Also modify E6430 smbios.plist --with vimdiff-- using the smbios.plist from JakeLo, thank you for this !!!)

- Trackpad (I used RehabmanMerge.zip 979.39KB from there, thank you Bpedman !!!)

Ok so I modified the package Dell Latitude E6430 from Compatibility & Bootpacks, and changed the few details listed above to match the E6420. This finally after two weeks work pretty well.

Ok, So back to what does not work :

> Sleep (I'd say it doesn't matter much, I have bought a 120Gb SSD for 60EUR / Universal Caddy for 10EUR)

My boot will be fast enough, to disable sleep and just shutdown the hackintosh whenever not in use.

> SD Card (I don't really care either)

> Battery Status (I have a running laptop with 0% battery life, bet you're jealous)

> Screen Brightness (Is it any patch for this)

> Quicktime, Ok I'd say it doesn't matter as VLC works fine, and flash / html5 etc...

Now the big trouble is that the laptop heat a lot, and sucks the battery pretty fast.

I am really concerned about the heat even doh, it is smooth and only crash when readin video using Quicktime or the Quicklook.

The strange thing is that Final Cut Pro which I think also use CoreVideo / CoreAudio run fine.

Can anyone help please ?

This built is really the only thing I could use so feel free to use it.

(Indeed the Nero Extra provided by JakeLo, make my E6420 flickering on black screen, until the screen stay stuck in black).

JakeLo, if you got some time to help me on this, I would really appreciate it.

Do you have only HD3000 or Optimus with Nvs4200? the Nero bootpack I created should have sleep and battery status working. What's your screen resolution?

Please add you specs, create a signature file with the specs.

Hi Jake,

Thank for your reply.

So here's my Spec. Indeed I do have the Nvidia NVS 4200M.

My Dell Latitude E6420 Specifications:

• BIOS Version A06
  • Intel® Core i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
  • 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 2 DIMMs
  • 512MB NVIDIA NVS 4200M
  • Intel® HD Graphics 3000
  • SCREEN | Samsung LCD panel (SEC Model 544b, MJ154 - 140KT) 14.0†HD+ (1600x900) Anti-Glare LED
  • HDD  | Western Digital Scorpio Black wd5000bpkt 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5"
  • Dell Wireless Bluetooth 375
  • Intel® 82579LM Gigabit
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Wireless Half mini-PCI card (Replaced by Broadcom BCM94322HM8L)
  • Integrated HD Video Webcam
  • IDT Audio
  • HDMI
  • SD Card Reader | O2Micro Integrated MMC/SD controller
  • Broadcom Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)
  • Dell ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor

• Moderators

Hi Jake,

Thank for your reply.

So here's my Spec. Indeed I do have the Nvidia NVS 4200M.

My Dell Latitude E6420 Specifications:

• BIOS Version A06
  • Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
  • 16GB DDR3 1333MHz 2 DIMMs
  • 512MB NVIDIA NVS 4200M
  • Intel® HD Graphics 3000
  • SCREEN | Samsung LCD panel (SEC Model 544b, MJ154 - 140KT) 14.0” HD+ (1600x900) Anti-Glare LED
  • HDD  | Western Digital Scorpio Black wd5000bpkt 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 2.5"
  • Dell Wireless Bluetooth 375
  • Intel® 82579LM Gigabit
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Wireless Half mini-PCI card (Replaced by Broadcom BCM94322HM8L)
  • Integrated HD Video Webcam
  • IDT Audio
  • HDMI
  • SD Card Reader | O2Micro Integrated MMC/SD controller
  • Broadcom Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF)
  • Dell ControlVault w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor

Ok, try this guide with boot pack. It's for an E6520 but with the same specs beside the bigger screen and number pad.