D830 Intel Fully working on Lion

chris88962

Fully working, here's what I've got for those that need it.

Backup your IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext files from working SL install. Install with kextutil on Lion to restore wireless.
Remove AppleACPIBattery if you have it. It will KP on Lion. Install the latest VoodooBattery after install.
Make sure boot.plist is set for i386 kernel. Video drivers won't work on x86_64.
If you have bluetooth, you may get messages about no keyboard connected after install. Go to system preferences/bluetooth/advanced and tell it not to pop up the wizard if no keyboard/mouse are detected.
USB kb/mouse only while in installer. Built in will work again on first boot.
May need to remove AppleHDA.kext to boot properly after install. Not sure, but I deleted it. I'm using voodoohda.

I've attached my working DSDT, install it first and you'll have video support during Lion installer. It isn't based on the current one available on this site, and I don't remember where I got it. It's been modified to support the IOPci introduced in 10.6.8/Lion and is set for DVI dual link.
dsdt.aml.zip

I've attached a modified version that :SHOULD: work for those of you with the 1280x800 screens, but I have no way to test it.
dsdt.aml.1280x800.zip

Hope this helps somebody out, I sure spent enough time working out all my issues. Also a thanks to the countless posts by countless people on countless sites I searched through to get all this going on day 1.

Hey Chris,

I tried your DSDT on my D630. I saw that it had quite different Video implementation for the X3100 than the one I used in mine. And I thought, hey this might solve my lag in mission control, but unfortunately it didn't. So I think you are experiencing some lag in Mission control as well as I do. I am not talking about huge lag, just irritating enough :) Especially when you have more than 10 apps/windows open (you can see it's not very smooth) :) There are graphical glitches elsewhere as well, all over the place to be honest. Like when you resize windows, even sometimes in System Preferences. Tell me if you are experiencing the same. Thanks. I will attach my DSDT so you can try it. I think you might like it :) Don't forget to edit it for your screen resolution as I set the DualLink to 0x00 not 0x01.

dsdt.aml.zip

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any graphics glitches, but definately some lag when there's too much open. I'd accepted poor graphics support as my lot in life with the x3100. I've just spent about 10 minutes opening, closing and resizing windows trying to generate some graphics glitches. So far, everything has drawn to screen flawlessly. Maybe a bit laggy though...

What system definition are you running in? I'm on MacBook5,1.

I'll give your dsdt a shot too. I'm always searching for one that's better than what I've got. Thank's for your response, I'll let you know how my search for graphics glitches goes.

I had trouble getting native CPU scaling to work on 3,1.

I've switched to your DSDT. I haven't noticed any difference functionally, but it sure is nice to have one that doesn't generate compile errors.

Any changes I should be aware of, having switched? Native support for anything I was using kexts for previously?

As for graphics, I'm not seeing any real performance drop since SL. Mission Control is choppy, and so is resizing windows once they're bigger than 1024x800 or so. Maybe I'm accustomed to slow OSX performance, since it's been pushing 1920x1080 this whole time. Still not one graphics glitch. 100% correctly displays everything. I don't have any kexts that should be making me run glitch free. Just the usual voodoo items, and the ones from vmware fusion.

guys i think i might have found part of issue for lag. in dsdt Device (MB2) has IRQNo 0 . remove the zero leave it {} and then the hpet can use irq0 efficiently... instead of irq2.

My HPET in dsdt:

Device (HPET)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                   Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {0}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {8}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {11}
                       IRQNoFlags ()
                           {15}
                       Memory32Fixed (ReadWrite,
                           0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                           0x00000400,         // Address Length
                           )
                   })
                   Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Return (0x0F)
                   }

Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Return (CRS)
                   }
               }

And here's Device (MB2) no such IRQ interrupts:

Device (MB2)
               {
                   Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C01"))
                   Name (_UID, 0x02)
                   Name (CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
                   {
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0900,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0900,             // Range Maximum
                           0x01,               // Alignment
                           0x80,               // Length
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x0092,             // Range Minimum
                           0x0092,             // Range Maximum
                           0x02,               // Alignment
                           0x01,               // Length
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x00B2,             // Range Minimum
                           0x00B2,             // Range Maximum
                           0x02,               // Alignment
                           0x02,               // Length
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x1000,             // Range Minimum
                           0x1000,             // Range Maximum
                           0x10,               // Alignment
                           0x06,               // Length
                           )
                       IO (Decode16,
                           0x1008,             // Range Minimum
                           0x1008,             // Range Maximum
                           0x08,               // Alignment
                           0x08,               // Length
                           )
                   })
                   Method (_CRS, 0, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Return (CRS)
                   }
               }

So there's now way this could be an issue with my system. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway!

oops i guess this model doesnt have that stray irqno {0} that my inspiron 1520 has.

however the lag i suffered was with MacBookPro3,1 smbios.plist and i lost wifi. but i started using MacBook5,1 not pro and speedsteps work. unlike Macbook4,1 for me that is inspiron 1520 nvidia 8600m T7500.

if the smbios.plist is mising a specific entry for SMboardproduct Mac-Fxxxxx then u get lag too.

I have a intel D830 and so far all my attempts to install Lion on it are fruitless. It would be nice if you could elaborate or should I say simplify the process above.

I searched tonycrapx blog, his method of update is not working for me. When I try to launch the Lion.app directly it does not launch, I have to enter the Content>Shared Resources folder and manually select the InstallESD.dmg, once that is mounted the installer opens but quits by saying Lion can not be installed on this system. Any ideas why?