Maverick on Lenovo x201

Maay

Hello guys !

After spending the week-end trying to get it to run, I need help. Consider me a noob and forgive me if I ask dumb questions.

I have a Lenovo x201 on which I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to install Maverick.

Machine is a x201 (3680 VKW), with a i5 cpu, 4Gb ram, and BIOS ver 1.40 set to default settings. Intel HD graphics and a screen of 1280x800 resolution.

I have created a USB boot drive with myhack on ML (ML on virtualbox...), no Extras (myhack didn't ask for any, and I was considering to do EDP once started).

I get to boot on the USB drive, and all goes well until I get to what must be the language selection screen. The problem is, the video is all garbled, I can't see a thing (looks very much like the screen resolution is not set properly). Can't proceed with installation. And I can't figure what's wrong.

I have tried to add x201s extras, and then I get to boot in graphic mode (nice !), but then I get stuck on a bluetooth controller error, and no langage selection screen either. So I got back to the original myhack boot drive without extras.

I have tried with all sorts of flags (-x, -f, -v, graphicsenabler=yes, "graphics mode"="1280x800x32" and a couple others...) but it seems i haven't found the sweet recipe needed to get past that screen. Funny enough, when I boot without flag, I get a nice apple and rotating wheel, but the same garbled screen for language selection.

Can anyone help me ? what am I doing wrong ?

I'll go on trying to figure out what's wrong, but I'd sure appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot !

Maay

• Like 1

Hello Hervé

Thanks for the answer.

I did look at Leon's post, but the guide is rather short.

Installation method:

Standard myhack+EDP method

Installation notes:

Graphics will look fucked up during installation, but will be fine after EDP installation

My graphics does look fucked up (completely garbled screen, can't see what i'm doing), but how do you get from there to a machine where you can actually run EDP ? that's pretty much my question.

Is there a way to set a temporary graphic setup that works ?

Or should I revert to try installing ML instead ? (Leon did instal ML, not Maverick)

• Administrators

Ha, if you can't see what you're doing, I see your issues! :?

How about trying to force to a lower resolution through the Chameleon bootloader? You know, with option such as "GraphicsMode=1024x768x32". Or trying to force display to an external screen?

Thanks for the suggestion, but... I've been doing just that pretty much all afternoon, trying various resolutions, on the laptop LCD and on an external monitor, and I just can't find an appropriate one. Most of the time, I get a gray screen with some whitish vertical bands, and for some resolutions I seem to be getting something but not much. The best I got so far, and I've tried dozens of configurations, is a (very) partial view of the left side of the screen, scrambled, far from enough to be able to do anything with it.

Note : I can't blame a faulty video hardware, it's running just fine with Windows...

I wish Leon had posted how he got around the problem he mentions (fucked up graphics...)

has anyone any suggestion to offer ? I'm stuck here  :(

oh, and by the way, I get the same issue with ML too... (Edit : I get the same issue with ML if I don't use the x201s Extras. Because with the Extras, I can boot properly and get a proper install screen too. No keyboard though. Not yet. But I'm trying a workaround... Maybe I'll be able to install ML. Work in progress... Anyway, I'd still appreciate any help you may have to get me out of this mess)

desperately need help  :$

Maay

• Administrators

Well, according to Leon, his X201s is quite different from "regular" X201: different screen res (he's got the WSXGA+ 1440x900 LCD) and probably different kext like framebuffer... So, you're not out of muddy waters yet I'm afraid. 

• Moderators

oh, and by the way, I get the same issue with ML too... (Edit : I get the same issue with ML if I don't use the x201s Extras. Because with the Extras, I can boot properly and get a proper install screen too. No keyboard though. Not yet. But I'm trying a workaround... Maybe I'll be able to install ML. Work in progress... Anyway, I'd still appreciate any help you may have to get me out of this mess)

desperately need help  :$

Maay

Maay,

Try adding the attached files to your bootpack. If you have voodooHDA, remove it and AppleHDADisabler as I've included a patched AppleHDA. Remember to run my fix(quick).

Extra.zip

Hello Everyone

Here's the update of the day. With the file suggested by Jake, and a DSDT suggested by redracer68 on Leon's post about the x201s, I get no further with Mav than yesterday (stuck on the language selection screen if I don't use the extras, and can't get past a bluetooth controller missing message if I do).

I am able however to install ML, although not completely. I don't get chameleon on boot (instead i get "boot0:error", and i need to use my usb drive to select the drive to boot from), takes a long time to boot, the keyboard and red dot don't work (need external USB keyboard & mouse), no sound, no wifi, and it breathes hot air like a dragon... and probably a few other things i haven't seen yet. But I basically got ML running. It's not Mav, but it's better than nothing. And if we can get ML to run properly, maybe that will help get Mav running as well... (me crossing my finger)

Now, I am afraid to go any further and mess things up further.

What do I need to do to get :

- chameleon

- a working keyboard (red dot i don't care)

- wifi

- and if possible sound...

- and if all goes well, a cooler system :-)

I know I should play around with myhack and edp to get that to run, but now that i've got an almost running machine, i'm afraid to tweak blindly... Any step by step procedure around ?

Thanks  :rolleyes: