- AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

- DisplayMergeNub.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

- Lenovo-x201s.10.8.5.bt.kext

- lspcidrv.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

- VoodooPS2Controller.kext

To be frank, i'm a bit lost and I am not sure that list is appropriate. But as it is, I can boot and I get most things working, decent video playback, boot time is average, heat is under control, my keyboard and track point are working, I have sound... I can't get the dvd drive to work yet, and it is very possible that this set up is not optimised. But it works, and I really don't know how to improve it on my own.

Oh, and boot freeze on a gray screen if I boot with -f flag.

That's how far I've got with ML  :$

As for the sceenshot, this is indeed what I get, except that for Intel HD Graphics, the line under revision ID says (in french) something like "information of kernel extension : no kext loaded". Not sure what to do with that.

• Moderators

Hello Jake,

Content of my Extra/Extension folder is now :

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

- AppleIntelE1000e.kext

- AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext

- DisplayMergeNub.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

- Lenovo-x201s.10.8.5.bt.kext

- lspcidrv.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

- VoodooPS2Controller.kext

To be frank, i'm a bit lost and I am not sure that list is appropriate. But as it is, I can boot and I get most things working, decent video playback, boot time is average, heat is under control, my keyboard and track point are working, I have sound... I can't get the dvd drive to work yet, and it is very possible that this set up is not optimised. But it works, and I really don't know how to improve it on my own.

Oh, and boot freeze on a gray screen if I boot with -f flag.

That's how far I've got with ML  :$

As for the sceenshot, this is indeed what I get, except that for Intel HD Graphics, the line under revision ID says (in french) something like "information of kernel extension : no kext loaded". Not sure what to do with that.

How are you able to have audio? I don't see voodooHDA or AppleHDA in your folder. You don't need to boot with -f flag if it boots fine. 

You might not have full QE/CI  if you don't see the second Intel HD Graphics as in my screenshot, the first will indicate no kext loaded.

What's the processor on your system?

What error are you getting for the DVD drive?

How are you able to have audio? I don't see voodooHDA or AppleHDA in your folder. You don't need to boot with -f flag if it boots fine. 

You might not have full QE/CI  if you don't see the second Intel HD Graphics as in my screenshot, the first will indicate no kext loaded.

What's the processor on your system?

What error are you getting for the DVD drive?

Hello Jake

Thank you for your questions. Forgive me if I sound a bit naive about this, I'm a real beginner here. I might have done a couple of unorthodox moves with my system.  :$

I do have AppleHDA in the System/Library/Extensions folder. I guess that's why I have sound. Don't know how it got there though, nor if it is taken into account during boot or if it resides in a cache that I haven't wiped out. It works, that's all I know. I do have to remind the computer once in a while to use the speakers as output though.

For the graphics, I have two lines. One is called "Intel GMA4500" and does not have the "no kext loaded" message. The other line is "Intel HD Graphics", and this one has the "no kext loaded" message. See extract from system_profiler :

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
      Type: GPU
      Bus: Built-In
      VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
      Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
      Device ID: 0x2d10
      Revision ID: 0x0002
      Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Intel GMA4500:

Chipset Model: Intel GMA4500
      VRAM (Total): 288 MB
      Device ID: 0x0046
      Displays:
        Display:
          Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz
          Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
          Main Display: Yes
          Mirror: Off
          Online: Yes
          Built-In: Yes

Processor is an intel i5 M560 2.67GHz.

For the DVD drive, I could read data, but couldn't read a video DVD directly. But I've solved that, I've installed libdvdcss.pkg, and modified DVDPlayBack with this command found here 

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x49\x6E\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|\x45\x78\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|g' /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback

Now I can read DVDs on my build. VLC doesn't work too well yet though, but that's a minor inconvenience.

That's about it for today. If you have any suggestions as to how to proceed, i'm all ears  ^_^

And if you need a system hardware dump of some sort to create a tailor made Extra folder, just let me know. If I need to shed some $$ to support, let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks a lot

Maay

• Moderators

Hello Jake

Thank you for your questions. Forgive me if I sound a bit naive about this, I'm a real beginner here. I might have done a couple of unorthodox moves with my system.  :$

I do have AppleHDA in the System/Library/Extensions folder. I guess that's why I have sound. Don't know how it got there though, nor if it is taken into account during boot or if it resides in a cache that I haven't wiped out. It works, that's all I know. I do have to remind the computer once in a while to use the speakers as output though.

For the graphics, I have two lines. One is called "Intel GMA4500" and does not have the "no kext loaded" message. The other line is "Intel HD Graphics", and this one has the "no kext loaded" message. See extract from system_profiler :

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
      VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory
      Device ID: 0x2d10
      Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Intel GMA4500:

Chipset Model: Intel GMA4500
      VRAM (Total): 288 MB
      Device ID: 0x0046
      Displays:
        Display:
          Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz
          Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
          Main Display: Yes
          Mirror: Off
          Online: Yes
          Built-In: Yes

Processor is an intel i5 M560 2.67GHz.

For the DVD drive, I could read data, but couldn't read a video DVD directly. But I've solved that, I've installed libdvdcss.pkg, and modified DVDPlayBack with this command found here

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x49\x6E\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|\x45\x78\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|g' /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback

Now I can read DVDs on my build. VLC doesn't work too well yet though, but that's a minor inconvenience.

That's about it for today. If you have any suggestions as to how to proceed, i'm all ears  ^_^

And if you need a system hardware dump of some sort to create a tailor made Extra folder, just let me know. If I need to shed some $$ to support, let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks a lot

Maay

Donations are always welcome here

Ok, from your profiler, you do have QE/CI enabled using redracer68's DSDT. The AppleHDA in SLE should be the original not patched version if you're using myHack method. And the way you describe having to manually switch from Headphone to Internal speaker sounds to me to be VoodooHDA issue. You're probably using cache. When you update the E/E folder, do you run myHack/myfix (quick) after each update?

If you have spare drive or  partition your HDD, I'll see about creating a bootpack for Mavericks.

Donations are always welcome here

Ok, from your profiler, you do have QE/CI enabled using redracer68's DSDT. The AppleHDA in SLE should be the original not patched version if you're using myHack method. And the way you describe having to manually switch from Headphone to Internal speaker sounds to me to be VoodooHDA issue. You're probably using cache. When you update the E/E folder, do you run myHack/myfix (quick) after each update?

If you have spare drive or  partition your HDD, I'll see about creating a bootpack for Mavericks.

Hello Jake

Donation is made, you all deserve it  ^_^

I've reworked my Extra folder, and applied myfix each time. You were right about the audio. Here's the list of kext I now have :

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleHDADisabler.kext

AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext
DisplayMergeNub.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Lenovo-x201s.10.8.5.bt.kext
lspcidrv.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

I now have an almost fully operational ML build (I'm waiting for my wifi key to solve that last problem)

I made three partitions on my HDD of about 100gig each, one is the ML test build (which I'm using now), the second is a full backup copy of the first, and the third is spare. So I could very well test Mav on that third and last partition, or even split it in two to have one test partition for Mav and another for the copy.

Now that I have a working ML, I'll try again to install Mav. But if you have a set of kext for me, I'll gladly test them. If you need a dump of my hardware, just let me know.

Many thanks !
Maay

Update :

I've tried installation of Maverick with the same exact Extra folder i now have on ML, and there is progress. I get a proper language selection screen, none of those garbled screens I had before ! But installation fails right after that with a "The OS X installation couldn't be completed" error message. I'll have to dig a bit further to get going, but I'll do that tomorrow. At least there is hope now  ^_^

ML Update : QE/CI works like a charm on ML

• Moderators

Update :

I've tried installation of Maverick with the same exact Extra folder i now have on ML, and there is progress. I get a proper language selection screen, none of those garbled screens I had before ! But installation fails right after that with a "The OS X installation couldn't be completed" error message. I'll have to dig a bit further to get going, but I'll do that tomorrow. At least there is hope now  ^_^

ML Update : QE/CI works like a charm on ML

Let's see if this boot pack works for you. I upgraded some files, mainly AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB. If it doesn't work, then delete AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB and replace it with AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.bak and try again.

Extra-Lenovo_201x_mav.zip

Let's see if this boot pack works for you. I upgraded some files, mainly AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB. If it doesn't work, then delete AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB and replace it with AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.bak and try again.

attachicon.gifExtra-Lenovo_201x_mav.zip

Hello Jake

Thank you for your proposed boot pack. I've tried it, and here's the result with the boot pack as is, installed on a fresh Maverick installer USB disk and with myFix applied as well. I boot with -v flag, messages go listed on the screen as usual, and then there's a rather long pause (couple of minutes ?) before the screen goes into graphic mode. There again a rather long pause with only the mouse cursor showing, and then I end up on the language selection screen.

When I press the arrow to go the next screen, i get several seconds later the message "the OS X installation couldn't be completed". Note to Bronxteck, this message comes before any disk selection screen, nothing is installed on the hard drive at this point.

I have tried to go through the log to understand what was stopping the installation, but this is chinese to me and nothing obvious showed up.

I have tried to change the .kext, but I either get a system that won't go into graphic mode at all (or maybe after a very long time), or halts anyway on that same error message. None of the combination i've tried (applying myFix each time) has given any better results that this.

I tried the .bak you have sent, but it is actually slightly worse, as I get a graphic mode screen, but split in four, with improper resolution apparently.

How should I proceed from there ?