Mavericks on E5420: Graphics woes

404NotFound

I'm trying to install Mavericks on my E5420, however I'm not even able to boot into the installer. As soon as I get past the boot messages, this happens:

CfqmgPr.jpg

I've tried using both the E5520 and generic Extras, setting the graphics mode at the boot prompt, booting with -x, playing around with GraphicsEnabler... nothing helped, only the pattern looks differently each time.

System configuration:

CPU - i5 2520

GPU - HD 3000

Display - 1600x900

Bios - A01

Any ideas?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I'm trying to install Mavericks on my E5420, however I'm not even able to boot into the installer. As soon as I get past the boot messages, this happens:

CfqmgPr.jpg

I've tried using both the E5520 and generic Extras, setting the graphics mode at the boot prompt, booting with -x, playing around with GraphicsEnabler... nothing helped, only the pattern looks differently each time.

System configuration:

CPU - i5 2520

GPU - HD 3000

Display - 1600x900

Bios - A01

Any ideas?

Give my bootpack a try. You should consider upgrading your BIOS too.

Extra-E5420_Mav.zip

• Administrators

I had that kind of graphics non-sense when installing ML (or was it Mavericks?) on a E6420. All I required was the correct DSDT, which I got from one of JakeLo's posts. But booting with the incorrect DSDT would give me this sort of things...

It worked. Awesome! Thanks, guys!

I was able to install Mavericks, however the installed system automatically goes to sleep after a couple of seconds, so I'm only able to use it in blocks of about 5 seconds. Is this a common / known problem? Could a bios update fix the problem? That machine never saw a Windows installation, so a bios update might be a major pain...

• Moderators

It worked. Awesome! Thanks, guys!

I was able to install Mavericks, however the installed system automatically goes to sleep after a couple of seconds, so I'm only able to use it in blocks of about 5 seconds. Is this a common / known problem? Could a bios update fix the problem? That machine never saw a Windows installation, so a bios update might be a major pain...

Run myfix (full). See if that helps with the automatic sleep. If not, add a -f switch to the boot.plist.

Can you confirm a few things?

Does audio work?

Does HDMI work?

Does HDMI Audio work?

Sleep works, that's confirm

Does it sleep and wake when closing and opening lid?

Screen brightness is controlled by Fn+Pause and Fn+F3 or Fn+up  and down button

Audio control is by the right side

Keyboard backlit is controlled by Fn+right arrow

Screen snapshot is by Fn+PrintScrn

Fn+F1 for sleep, tab power button to wake

You'll have to replace the wireless card I believe.

myfix didn't help, but -f did the trick.

Does audio work? - YES

Does HDMI work? - YES

Does HDMI Audio work? - YES

Sleep works, that's confirm - NO, stopped working with -f, screen just goes black

Does it sleep and wake when closing and opening lid? - NO

Screen brightness is controlled by Fn+Pause and Fn+F3 or Fn+up  and down button - YES

Audio control is by the right side - YES

Keyboard backlit is controlled by Fn+right arrow - YES, it's a hardware feature though

Screen snapshot is by Fn+PrintScrn - YES

Fn+F1 for sleep - NO

tab power button to wake - YES

wireless card - NO, BCM4313 - maybe I already have something compatible at home

ethernet - NO, BCM5761 - I think I just have to find a proper driver

Is there anything I can do about sleep mode?

EDIT: HDMI results added.

• Moderators

myfix didn't help, but -f did the trick.

Does audio work? - YES

Does HDMI work? - YES

Does HDMI Audio work? - YES

Sleep works, that's confirm - NO, stopped working with -f, screen just goes black

Does it sleep and wake when closing and opening lid? - NO

Screen brightness is controlled by Fn+Pause and Fn+F3 or Fn+up  and down button - YES

Audio control is by the right side - YES

Keyboard backlit is controlled by Fn+right arrow - YES, it's a hardware feature though

Screen snapshot is by Fn+PrintScrn - YES

Fn+F1 for sleep - NO

tab power button to wake - YES

wireless card - NO, BCM4313 - maybe I already have something compatible at home

ethernet - NO, BCM5761 - I think I just have to find a proper driver

Is there anything I can do about sleep mode?

EDIT: HDMI results added.

Have you try manually putting it to sleep?

Try this for you LAN card http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/79-bcm5722d/

Intel wireless is not supported. Need to be replaced.

Small update: The ethernet driver worked, thanks a lot! The MAC defaulted to 00:00:00:00:00:00 though, so I had to set it manually.

I don't know why, but sleep also works now. Maybe it's because of something I did while getting rid of the App Store "Unknown Error".

Does audio work? - YES

Does HDMI work? - YES

Does HDMI Audio work? - YES

Sleep works, that's confirm - YES

Does it sleep and wake when closing and opening lid? - Closing: YES*, opening: NO

Screen brightness is controlled by Fn+Pause and Fn+F3 or Fn+up  and down button - YES

Audio control is by the right side - YES

Keyboard backlit is controlled by Fn+right arrow - YES, it's a hardware feature though

Screen snapshot is by Fn+PrintScrn - YES

Fn+F1 for sleep - YES*

tab power button to wake - YES

wireless card - NO, BCM94322 already ordered

ethernet - YES

* only after putting it to sleep manually for the first time

The very last minor thing that's missing is multitouch (at least two-finger scroll) on the Alps DualPoint touchpad. Is it supported at all? All in all, looks like the E5420 is a great base for a Hackintosh.

• Moderators

Small update: The ethernet driver worked, thanks a lot! The MAC defaulted to 00:00:00:00:00:00 though, so I had to set it manually.

I don't know why, but sleep also works now. Maybe it's because of something I did while getting rid of the App Store "Unknown Error".

Does audio work? - YES

Does HDMI work? - YES

Does HDMI Audio work? - YES

Sleep works, that's confirm - YES

Does it sleep and wake when closing and opening lid? - Closing: YES*, opening: NO

Screen brightness is controlled by Fn+Pause and Fn+F3 or Fn+up  and down button - YES

Audio control is by the right side - YES

Keyboard backlit is controlled by Fn+right arrow - YES, it's a hardware feature though

Screen snapshot is by Fn+PrintScrn - YES

Fn+F1 for sleep - YES*

tab power button to wake - YES

wireless card - NO, BCM94322 already ordered

ethernet - YES

* only after putting it to sleep manually for the first time

The very last minor thing that's missing is multitouch (at least two-finger scroll) on the Alps DualPoint touchpad. Is it supported at all? All in all, looks like the E5420 is a great base for a Hackintosh.

I noticed that you have to put it to sleep manually the first time before it starts to work or maybe let it run long enough, it'll start to work. If reopening lid won't wake system, do you just tab on the power button to wake it up?

For multitouch, you could try this work-in-progress kext by bpedman here. Use the RehanMerge version. There's some known issue, you could read more about it there. Mainly about the Z value not hold it's value after reboot.

Thank you for answering and updating the questionnaires. Just want to see how far this boot pack supports so I could include it into the guide.