Dell E6520 with NVS 4200M on Mavericks (10.9)

sandflee

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you beat me to it. Same reason I couldn't boot on E6520 but on E6420 is because of different processors. So after switching SSDT, I was able to get it working on E6520 too. You could also remove AppleACPIPlatform, not needed. With the voodooPS2controller, you can scroll with trackstick too.

I'll update my guide too, Optimus now works on both vpro and non-vpro system.

Nice work guys. I was able get the sound working with the kernel flag and kext changes suggested by El. When I applied his SSDT with the GenerateC/PStates, I could not boot. When i removed the GenerateC/Pstate flags, I was able to boot but the CPU stepping was not working well. It was either very low CPU frequency or at the max. I switched back to my original SSDT, and the CPU stepping and sound are working. I am still at Chameleon r2266. It must have been the kernel flag. I will take out the AppleACPIPlatform to see if that works.

Well, AppleACPIPlatform kext is needed (at least for me). While booting it goes into an infinite loop saying:

SMC: smcreadKeyAction Erro ACID kSMCBadAgrumentError (0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8012876530

By the way, how do I check whether I have vpro system?

• Moderators

Nice work guys. I was able get the sound working with the kernel flag and kext changes suggested by El. When I applied his SSDT with the GenerateC/PStates, I could not boot. When i removed the GenerateC/Pstate flags, I was able to boot but the CPU stepping was not working well. It was either very low CPU frequency or at the max. I switched back to my original SSDT, and the CPU stepping and sound are working. I am still at Chameleon r2266. It must have been the kernel flag. I will take out the AppleACPIPlatform to see if that works.

By the way, how do I check whether I have vpro system?

It should say on the sticker on your palm rest. If no sticker there, you can remove the bottom cover. Inside the cover is a yellow sticker, if it says 3, it's non-vpro, 1 is vpro enabled.

While we're on this topic, what's the best way I can check my CPU speed steps and CPU voltage/frequency inside OS X?  I remember running across one utility that placed that info in the menu bar ... but I can't recall its name.

I use HWMonitor v 5.3.820. It shows the CPU voltage, multiplier, temperature, ... etc.

Using HWMonitor I confirmed what sandflee said was true.  My custom SSDT broke speed step and was causing my CPU to constantly run at max speed.  

I found the correct "mobile" version of ssdtprgen.sh and was able to generate a new SSDT that fixed the issue.  My i5-2520M vPro CPU now idles @ x8.0 792 MHz and maxes out at x30 2.97 GHz.  I attached my updated SSDT for those that have a similar E6520 CPU.

SSDT_i5-2520M_vPro.zip