Mavericks on Optiplex 745

sulemanzp

Yes, my Dell D630 is a myHack, as well as a couple of installs on personally-made sytems, most of which are in some flavor of Gigabyte P45 - Q6600 - 9600GT, Mountain Lion. Never had trouble with getting it to work like I am with this one. It has to be the fact that this is a straight 32-bit PCI card, and not a 64-bit PCIe card. I'm sure Mountain Lion and Mavericks have no idea what to do with it. I have this 745 running Lion right now with a hacked GeForce 7300 LE and hacked native drivers, but they are only 32 bit, so I can't go past Lion with it. That's why I tried to use an 8400GS, but with the PCI interface, I'm pretty sure it's sunk.

Of course, any insight into my thought process is welcome. I should be getting the 8400GS/PCIe card in Friday, so I'll be working with it on Monday with any luck. I'll keep this thread posted on that progress.

--Justin

• Like 1

Woo-Hoo! I'm replying under Mavericks on my Optiplex 745 right now!

Full audio, full QI/CE, fully upgraded to 10.9.1

No issues at all, but I will have to find a way to get some heat out of this Small Form Factor case. Between the Q6700 and the 8400GS, the air temperature inside the case is about 120F, with the CPU die running about 150F at "normal" use. If I ramp the CPU to 100% doing a video render, I will run it up to 186F, which is too hot for my liking. The 8400 is running about 145F.

Thanks for everyone's help. I used Dan's DSDT, but removed his device properties from his chameleon plist. Added voodooHDA and AppleHDA disabler later.

Everything works great. That PCI version of the 8400 was certainly the problem.

--Justin

• Like 1

Hi Justin - Congratulations mate!!

Gotta love the feeling when it all works great!!

Re temps: Mine is the desktop version and it comfortably sits between 32 degrees C and 40 degrees C. Ups to 60-64 when using handbrake for rendering video.

The graphics card does run quite hot as well as mine is passive cooling. From my understanding Graphics cards always run hotter, sometimes much hotter! My 8400 idles around 80 degrees C but I've never pushed the graphics capabilities.

What I have found that helps cooling is that I take the machine apart approx every 6 months to clean down and clear out of all the dust. It is amazing how much dust gets picked up! This helps dramatically on these machines so I can only conclude the ventillation is not the best (especially ramping up that CPU from the stock one :)

Congratulations on your new Hack! Glad we all could help out

Dan

Hi Justin / Hervé:

Just one other thing I remembered, regarding the device properties for the onboard ethernet controller for the Dell Optiplex 745.

The reason I injected the properties for the device to the chameleon.Boot.plist  is so the ethernet controller reads as a 'Mac controller - 'Ethernet' and not 'Ethernet Adaptor en0' in the System Preferences/Network prefpane.

There was a few issues regarding the App Store / iMessages and Facetime with the en0 setting but 'tricking' the ethernet controller to read as a genuine Mac controller solved these.

If your app store / facetime and imessages works as it should - then great! If not, below is the procedure I followed to make the on board Ethernet card read as 'Ethernet'. This was written by the guy who originally helped me set up this machine back in 2012. If Hervé or any other more knowledgable lads (than myself - and that's not hard lol :)) on here can add anything in with this procedure be sure to chime in :)

"It’s time to get the App Store fully working.  The thing that does the trick was injecting the EFI string of the onboard ethernet controller in com.apple.Boot.plist (located in Library/Preferences/System Configuration) and org.chameleon.Boot.plist (located in /Extra).

Use EFI studio 1.1 (http://www.mediafire.com/?xz14ytrmddo), select "Ethernet device", click on "Add Device" and ask it to write the string it found to com.apple.boot.plist (located in Library/Preferences/System Configuration). Then open the edited file with TextEdit and find:

< key>device-properties</key>

< string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>

(where x is the ethernet device EFI string)

Copy the lines, open your org.chameleon.Boot.plist located in /Extra (with textedit), and paste the copied content along with these 2 lines:

< key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

< string>Yes</string>

and then close all open files.  Delete all network connections displayed in System Preferences/Network prefpane and also trash the  NetworkInterfaces.plist located in Library/Preferences/System Configuration.

Reboot and manually add a new network service using the (+) button in System Preferences/Network;  the system should auto-name it "Ethernet" (instead of "Ethernet adaptor en0") which implies that the network card/interface is seen as an original built in Mac connection.

You should now be able to use Software Update to check for updates to the OS and any Mac Apps."

And that's it - Here is what my org.chameleon.Boot.plist looks like (with the device properties for my Ethernet Card) as a reference:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
 <key>DSDT</key>
 <string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
 <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>ForceHPET</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>GenerateCStates</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>GeneratePStates</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
 <key>SMBIOS</key>
 <string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
 <key>SystemType</key>
 <string>1</string>
 <key>Theme</key>
 <string>LoginToLion</string>
 <key>Timeout</key>
 <string>2</string>
 <key>USBBusFix</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>UseKernelCache</key>
 <string>Yes</string>
 <key>device-properties</key>
 <string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0400000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Hope this helps :)

Regards,

Dan

• Administrators

@Dan, what we can try and do re: Ethernet controller is add the info in the DSDT as opposed to inject device properties through the boot plist. That's always more elegant if I may use that term. Post us your current IOReg output and your DSDT and I'll see what we can do.

• Like 1

@Dan, what we can try and do re: Ethernet controller is add the info in the DSDT as opposed to inject device properties through the boot plist. That's always more elegant if I may use that term. Post us your current IOReg output and your DSDT and I'll see what we can do.

Hi Hervé,

Thanks a million mate - attached files. 

Dan's DSDT.aml.zipDan's Home Server's Mac Pro IOReg.zip

As per previous posts, the machine is running flawlessly at the moment but anything to help it run better or cleaner I'm all for it :)

Regards,

Dan