D820 installation issue

neverly1

Hi,

today I tried to install Lion on my D820 with nvidia graphic.

I generated a bootable USB stick with myHack.

First thing is, that there was no input for Extras.

I did this step aber completion of myHAck.

The installation manual is maybe wrong at this point.

Is this ok?

I could boot with this USB stick.

I could not see any kernel panic. 

Display changed from internal display to external display.

A bitmap was shown with a on/off switch.

What is going wrong. Please help.

• Administrators

If you were not prompted for the "Extra" folder (=bootpack) during USB installer creation, just re-run myHack and select "Install Extra" pointing to your downloaded boot pack. This can be done at any time, even to replace the Extra folder of the installer by another bootpack in order to reuse the OS X USB installer on a different computer.

• Administrators

Is that after completing the "Install Extra" process with the downloaded D820 nVidia boot pack?

Check your BIOS version, update to the latest BIOS if you're not running it and make sure your BIOS setup is configured as per recommended settings. You can refer to the pinned threads about D830 and D620 BIOS settings for that. I've no D820 to make the list but you could actually contribute to making it.

no, I did the "Install Extra" process with the downloaded D820 nVidia bootpack inside vmware.

I mean I reboot, change my hdd and boot the usb stick with lion on it.

then I see a lot of messages (5 or 6 pages of them) 

After that the display changes to a grey wallpaper, 

display changes to external vga and a dispplay with an on/off switch is displayed.

Any idea?

• Administrators

I'm afraid there are often problems with myHack USB installers created from virtual machines. You also need to make sure you have a proper retail Lion installation app as recovery images/medias aren't any good.

Might be a silly question, but you have a Core2Duo CPU, right? Not a CoreDuo? You need 2Go of RAM minimum too.

If in any doubts, post us the info shown in Processor Info and Device Info pages of your BIOS setup.

• Administrators

Your BIOS settings are wrong. Again, look at the pinned BIOS settings threads for D830 and D620 and adjust accordingly. Update your BIOS to latest version if you're not running it.

You can always try the D620 nVidia or M65 bootpack if you want. The machines are quite similar.