Inspiron 13z (5323); is DSDT patching important?

harverby

Hi all,

Ok, this is likely a stupid question, but I'm still learning. I have an Inspiron 13z (also listed as a 5323 on some sites) with an i5-3317U. I managed to get it up and running with 10.9 thanks to MyHack and KextWizard (I was having issues with trying to get the EDP framework set up; now that the install is done EDP runs!). At this point, everything save WiFi (waiting for an OS X compatible card to come in from China), waking from sleep (trackpad won't work when it wakes) and the SD Card reader is working (though I only have basic trackpad functions at this time; no scrolling or gestures). Overall, I'm pleased with the machine in its current state and it is quite functional.

My question is, would the machine benefit from DSDT patching at this time? What areas would I expect to see additional benefits in the operation of this laptop? Can I do better? More than happy to do a system dump for DSDT patching if that would be of benefit to others in the community with this laptop.

Looking forward to advice from those who are far more knowledgeable on the subject! Thanks!

H

Meh. Do you have VGA and HDMI output working? That is a main use of patching. If you have some unrecognized devices some DSDT patches can make them recognizable, also getting trackpad working out of sleep could be a DSDT problem, are you also using a SSDT? That is more sleep related.

Also (I'm a trackpad kext guy) Do you have an ALPS or a Synaptic trackpad? If synaptic, try RehabMans VoodooPS2, it even has 3 finger touch! If ALPS check out the E6520 ALPS driver (just Google it) and try the merge and or the v7, it isn't as deviled, but I am working on it.

I haven't had a chance to try HDMI out. I'll have a look at it this afternoon. I did not use an SSDT to the best of my knowledge.

As for the trackpad, it is an ALPS model (I had previously looked it up from an Ubuntu live stick that I have). I had already tried the ALPS driver that you suggested back in early November, prior to your posts in that thread. As a matter of fact, I also have the refurb Inspiron 13z-5323 that user bmp152 has, and had the exact same issues with the driver (I could point and click, but no scrolling and no dragging; with the current kexts I'm using, I can at least drag, otherwise I have to use a USB mouse to re-position windows). Happy to hear that you are looking at recompiling the driver (and hope that you've recovered from your PDAnet issue).

If you can find an SSDT for your laptop, it would probably help your situation. I was unable to find one, but there is almost always some obscure thread that has one. (:

Also did you use the rehabmanmerge file or the ALPS v7?

The Merge is the newest version.

Did you ever test HDMI?

I did try HDMI out and it worked flawlessly, mirroring my screen on my TV. I was quite pleased, as I might make a few presentations for work on this machine.

I had previously tried both v7 and the merge file with no love. While having scrolling would be nice, my current set up at least has a nice functional pointer that is quick and accurate and I can drag windows, something that didn't work with either the v7 or merge drivers. But I'm following that thread actively and will wait and see if anything else materializes to boost ALPS trackpad functionality.

I haven't seen an SSDT file on my machine available, but thought I might try one of the scripts that allow you to generate  your own SSDT (that's the fun of hackintoshing!).

And if someone want a reasonably priced laptop to start hackintoshing with, I would really recommend the 13z that I have (I got a great deal on a refurb).

I have applied an SSDT patch using a script I found on another site. I put the patch in the Extra folder on my hard drive and made some changes to my org.chameleon.plist (I'm supposed to put drop SSDT, correct? And also uncheck the other CPU states?). Still no love with respect to sleep on the computer. If I put it to sleep, it awakens very irregularly.

Perhaps I will give DDST patching a try.

actually drop ssdt skips ssdt loading... remove that and try. but you have to have a specific goal when patching, it wont turn performance, if you want turned performance there is a link to performance turning at the bottom of the page.

Hi all,

Ok, this is likely a stupid question, but I'm still learning. I have an Inspiron 13z (also listed as a 5323 on some sites) with an i5-3317U. I managed to get it up and running with 10.9 thanks to MyHack and KextWizard (I was having issues with trying to get the EDP framework set up; now that the install is done EDP runs!). At this point, everything save WiFi (waiting for an OS X compatible card to come in from China), waking from sleep (trackpad won't work when it wakes) and the SD Card reader is working (though I only have basic trackpad functions at this time; no scrolling or gestures). Overall, I'm pleased with the machine in its current state and it is quite functional.

My question is, would the machine benefit from DSDT patching at this time? What areas would I expect to see additional benefits in the operation of this laptop? Can I do better? More than happy to do a system dump for DSDT patching if that would be of benefit to others in the community with this laptop.

Looking forward to advice from those who are far more knowledgeable on the subject! Thanks!

H

Harverby, I see here you have the SD card reader working?  I have same 13z, and that's the only thing I can't get to work.  What kext are you using?

Actually, I got a bit wordy in the post, but the SD Card Reader was one of the things that I have yet to get working. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Were you able to make a patched DSDT file for the 13z? For such a recent Dell model I was hoping that it would have been a bit more popular for hacking...

H