Need help installing Mavericks on Shuttle XS35GT

niad

I have previously posted this thread:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2764-need-help-with-shuttle-xs35-gt/

I have now for some time had ML up and running very stable and been able to install all updates until 10.8.4. After 10.8.5 and latest iTunes the installation was broken so i reverted to 10.8.4.

Now i am in the process of trying to install Mavericks and for that purpose i made a new 10.9 boot usb stick with the bootpack for this but i cannot get any graphics to start the installation. Just when the graphic mode shall start the screen goes black.

I then tried to make a new ML bootstick but the same thing happened there, no graphics.

I have previously made a working bootstick with the bootpack for ML and before that i had to use a custom kernel so the graphic mode has been working before with previous versions of the bootpack for ML.

I need help with how to solve this, i have tried bootflags as -x -v -f GraphicsEnabler=NO and YES, pciuid....2000 3000 and nothing helps.

It does not seem to be a kernel panic i just cannot get the screen to show the picture, the screen senses a signal because it does not go to sleep.

• Moderators

I have previously posted this thread:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2764-need-help-with-shuttle-xs35-gt/

I have now for some time had ML up and running very stable and been able to install all updates until 10.8.4. After 10.8.5 and latest iTunes the installation was broken so i reverted to 10.8.4.

Now i am in the process of trying to install Mavericks and for that purpose i made a new 10.9 boot usb stick with the bootpack for this but i cannot get any graphics to start the installation. Just when the graphic mode shall start the screen goes black.

I then tried to make a new ML bootstick but the same thing happened there, no graphics.

I have previously made a working bootstick with the bootpack for ML and before that i had to use a custom kernel so the graphic mode has been working before with previous versions of the bootpack for ML.

I need help with how to solve this, i have tried bootflags as -x -v -f GraphicsEnabler=NO and YES, pciuid....2000 3000 and nothing helps.

It does not seem to be a kernel panic i just cannot get the screen to show the picture, the screen senses a signal because it does not go to sleep.

Did you replace the kernel for a custom_kernel as you did on the ML installer previously?

@Jake Lo

I did not replace the kernel for a custom one as i needed to months ago because since then i have reinstalled with only the bootpack as it is. I beleive that the right kernel (the custom one) has been put in the bootpack since then so it would work out of the box. My machine is exactly the right Shuttle XS35 that is in the compatible machine list and there is bootpacks for ML and Mavericks there. I will try with the custom kernel today just for the hell of it of course.

Thanks for the tip

-- -- 

@Bronxteck

lspci :

niklass-Mac-mini:~ niklas$ lspci
pcilib: 0000:03:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
02:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. SD/MMC Host Controller (rev 80)
02:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technology Corp. Standard SD Host Controller (rev 80)
02:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technology Corp. MS Host Controller (rev 80)
02:00.5 Ethernet controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMC260 PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03)
niklass-Mac-mini:~ niklas$ 

I tried to use the custom kernel and widh that ML booted fine but still not Mavericks, in the Mavericks boot usb i got "uptime in nanoseconds" with the custom kernel. Maybe i need another kernel still for Mavericks?

I will look into patching kernels with dylib, that is totally new ground for me.

I have made a working clone now of my ML disk so i can experiment a bit more. I am thinking of trying to upgrade to Mavericks via appstore but i guess it will be broken as with 10.8.5 then.