D630 w/ nv135m high speed fan with high temperature

xworm

CPU T7500(2.2GHz), SpeedStep works(from 600MHz to 2.2GHz with 200Mhz step),thanks for the article "Performance running with Fakesmc"

CPU

42~46℃ (idle) under windows

48~52℃ (idle)under Mavericks

GPU under Mavericks

65℃ (idle)

78~80℃ (10min 720P mkv)

FAN speed doesn't show on HWMonitor, but from the noise, I'm sure it ran at higher speed than under Windows with same workload.

Is the above status normal ?

• Administrators

I have roughly identical T° readings. my GPU T° can even get higher. I clean the fan regularly, I've renewed thermal paste and even used a copper shim over the nVidia chip but none of this made any difference as far as lowering T° is concerned.

D630 keeps on running, so I just live with it...

What changes does this SSDT bring to the D630 because the T° issue is with the GPU, not really with the CPU?

CPU

42~46℃ (idle) under windows

48~52℃ (idle)under Mavericks

I don't think that is an GPU issue

• Administrators

nVidia GPU always runs hot in that machine, OS X making much heavier use of graphics acceleration than Windows.

What changes does your above SSDT bring ? Better CPU power management, which OS X clearly handles less favourably than Windows?

I replaced my Intel motherboard with an Nvidia version from ebay and have been successful in getting lower temperatures using copper shims. The motherboard came with a T7500.

After much trial and error and following the "Performance tuning using FakeSMC..." article, my temperature readings are now:

Lowest idle temp.: CPU - 36 deg. @796MHz; GPU - 55 deg. @168Mhz
Highest temp. Netflix HD: CPU - 62 deg. @2200MHz; GPU - 72 deg. @400MHz

I used a 0.3mm shim on the CPU and 1.2/1.5mm?? shims (I don't quite remember) on the other two chips, all with Arctic MX-3. Hopefully this will keep my laptop alive for a long time.

Thanks to everyone here for all their work.