Need help with Precision M4400

jruschme

I'm trying to install ML to a Precision M4400 with a QE9300 processor and nVidia FX770M graphics. Based on my read of previous threads, I seem to be hitting every issue in the book.

I built a myHack installer for 10.8 using the M4400 bootpack. I can boot the USB stick, but the boot hangs at the point where it reports that the RTC has 128 bytes of memory.

The best luck I've had so far was a 10.7 install using the bootpack for the Latitude E6400. This installs and boots fine as long as I don't try to run EDP. Doing an E6400 build with EDP gets me a system which does not recognize the KB or mouse and will not even work with a USB keyboard (USB mouse moves, but I can't click anything). The best I've been able to do is to use the E6400 bootpack with the addition of the Intel E1000 Ethernet driver and Voodoo audio.

Help, please....

JR

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever get this resolved? I have same system as yours and also get stuck at the same spot. I thought it was still loading so left it running for another 6 hours, but it still stayed at the same spot. 

I'm downloading 10.9.1 now to see if maybe my 10.8.2 is damage in some way. 

• Administrators

I would suggest 2 different things to try with your USB installer:

1) try and boot with option cpus=1 in case it's the QuadCore CPU that's causing the issue

2) in /E/E, remove NullCPUPowerManagement and replace FakeSMC v4.0 by one of Kozlek's recent FakeSMC versions (latest being v6.0.1042 at time of writing: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/ -> download one of the binaries zip further down the page on the right side under "Recent releases", then place the plugin kexts inside the PlugIns subfolder of the FakeSMC kext). The Chameleon boot plist then needs to be modified so that P & C states are selected. Finally re-run myFix (quick) on the USB installer before attempting to boot it.

Well, before reading your response, I decided to skip 10.8 and try 10.9. With Mavericks, the boot completes and I can install the OS.

Still assessing things, but one quick note... the M4400 bootpack does not include any PS/2 kexts. As a result, the keyboard and trackpad are unavailable until EDP is run.

• Administrators

Indeed, that's a bit of a problem so we need to review our bootpack. You should however find the generic PS2 kexts on the USB installer:

- either in /ExtraBackups

- or in /Applications/Utilities, right click on myHack to open its contents, then browse to Contents/Resources/Extra

These normally contain the kexts that are part of myHack's Generic bootpack.

New problem... if I run EDP and take the default options (NullCPUPowerManagement=OFF, use patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) for the M4400, I get a panic on reboot: "Attempt to re-register power management interface--AICPM present in xcpm mode" which appears to be coming from AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

If I enable NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler in EDP, I can boot with no issues.

Which brings me to the next issue, sleep or, rather, the lack thereof. Admittedly, sleep is listed as unsupported on the model page. As it stands, closing the lid has no affect and selecting SLEEP from the menu produces a state more akin to unrecoverable catatonia (i.e., I have to force power off and reboot).

Any suggestions?  Thanks....

• Administrators

I would try without patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, i.e. the regular Vanilla kext (which means no NullCPUPowerManagement either) + Kozlek's FakeSMC + P&C States enabled in Chameleon boot plist.

Regarding sleep, try without SleepEnabler but set the Hibernate mode to 0 through sudo pmset hibernatemode 0 Terminal command, i.e. plain old sleep mode.

Update... It seemed like I was closer to working sleep when I was using the E6400 bootpack so, on a whim, I swapped in the E6400 DSDT.aml file. Suddenly, sleep is working both with lid close and from the Apple menu.

To sumarize my current config:

1) EDP build for M4400 using NullCPUPowerManagement and no SleepEnabler

2) DSDT.aml from Latitude E6400 bootpack

3) Chameleon generating P&C states (not sure if this is necessary)

JR