6530 Dual Boot & Optimus

itzkr0me

Hello again All!

I've successfully installed Mavericks onto a 6530 using Jake's guide (Excellent resource).

My question is this:

I had installed Windows 8 onto the main drive, and then Mavericks onto a secondary SATA drive. As long as I have optimus disabled, both OS's can boot fine separately (choosing the appropriate drive). The issue is when I try to use Chameleon to boot into windows, I get a windows boot error (boot manager). Is there any way to resolve this?

My second issue is with optimus. I have to have it disabled in bios in order to boot OSX successfully. This causes an issue since I use the NVIDIA card in windows to power two external monitors through a dock. Am I doing something wrong? Can I have optimus enabled for windows and just bypass it for OSX?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm also using the extra SSDT files for the updated CPU in jake's guide (3740 I believe).

• Moderators

Hello again All!

I've successfully installed Mavericks onto a 6530 using Jake's guide (Excellent resource).

My question is this:

I had installed Windows 8 onto the main drive, and then Mavericks onto a secondary SATA drive. As long as I have optimus disabled, both OS's can boot fine separately (choosing the appropriate drive). The issue is when I try to use Chameleon to boot into windows, I get a windows boot error (boot manager). Is there any way to resolve this?

My second issue is with optimus. I have to have it disabled in bios in order to boot OSX successfully. This causes an issue since I use the NVIDIA card in windows to power two external monitors through a dock. Am I doing something wrong? Can I have optimus enabled for windows and just bypass it for OSX?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm also using the extra SSDT files for the updated CPU in jake's guide (3740 I believe).

Disabling Optimus means it uses Nvidia card exclusively. When enabled, it switches from nvidia to HD 4000 for power management. You should not have an issue with nvidia powering 2 monitors.

How is your windows formatted? MBR or GUI?

Disabling Optimus means it uses Nvidia card exclusively. When enabled, it switches from nvidia to HD 4000 for power management. You should not have an issue with nvidia powering 2 monitors.

How is your windows formatted? MBR or GUI?

I have windows installed on a completely separate HDD, MBR I assume.

When I disable optimus, my W8 install does not allow the laptop screen to be used with my other two external monitors through the dock. With it enabled, I can use two external monitors PLUS my laptop screen (total of 3).

• Moderators

I have windows installed on a completely separate HDD, MBR I assume.

When I disable optimus, my W8 install does not allow the laptop screen to be used with my other two external monitors through the dock. With it enabled, I can use two external monitors PLUS my laptop screen (total of 3).

I don't know how Chameleon will handle both GUID and MBR, but you could try running Chameleon Wizard from your OSX disk , and install method to Boot0md.

Screen Shot 2013-12-31 at 11.18.11 AM.png

I don't have windows 8, but I'm running windows 7 with optimus disabled and both external monitors works fine through the dock. What I do is configure it through the Nvidia Control Panel (setup multiple displays).

• Like 1

I don't know how Chameleon will handle both GUID and MBR, but you could try running Chameleon Wizard from your OSX disk , and install method to Boot0md.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-12-31 at 11.18.11 AM.png

I don't have windows 8, but I'm running windows 7 with optimus disabled and both external monitors works fine through the dock. What I do is configure it through the Nvidia Control Panel (setup multiple displays).

Do both your externals work through the dock on OSX as well?

I've got a couple other issues as well, such as the video blanking out every so often (enter usually brings it back. I've checked energy settings, no go there) as well as my battery draining extremely fast. For example, I've been in OSX for 20 minutes and I'm down to 80% battery.