[SOLVED] Crazy screen on E6430 & 10.9.1

pewe1263

I've already made a bootable USB MAV 10.9.1 using myHack 3.3.1 but that gets stuck at the same screen. Boots OK, but after a while doing the circle thingy it stops circling ....

Will try to install your zip over the USB MAV and see where this goes ....

Thanks for the download.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And again, the story continues ....

All this is typed in from the E6430 now on Mav 10.9.1 with latest updates .... 

As said before, installed your zip file on top of the boot usb made. Bootet from that USB and ran through the install process without any screen disturbances whatsoever. Just went perfect, just forgot to delete on the first prompt after selecting the extra from the boot usb when asked by myHack. Something about AppleACPIButtons or something .... selected to delete the nvidia stuff since I do not have that at all. Waited for the reboot to happen.

Now the fun starts:

1. Got the message that the boot partition was not valid .... after just hitting enter just ignored that and bootet
  2. Grey screen with boot options timeout etc. nothing done, continued booting
  3. Now the screen artefacts are back while completing the install ....
  4. After completion .... re-applied your zip file with my hack but no change ...
  5. Typing in this text I noticed that at every keystroke the screen flashes those artefacts ...

What I noticed as well, the enter key is kind of slow .... and the home and end key don't work as are ctrl-c, ctrl-v for copy and paste, they don't work either.

What I found out as well is that my E6430 LCD Display is an LVDS and not an eDP type. Do not know if that is relevant though. 

And for the good, sometimes for a second or two the screen is OK but just for those two seconds and then the artefacts are coming back more or less with a kind of heart beat so pulsing in frequency, sometimes slow sometimes faster ... external keyboard gives same behaviour as external mouse as well.

Maybe I should find that AppleACPIButtons*.* 

Any advise is welcome .... we are almost there .... I hope ....

Some pictures.

First pic is almost ok but that is rather by accident.

The second pic is more like it what I currently get, although when having xcode the screen is just like first pic just on the top bar where the time is displayed that part is almost not readable, I could live with that though .....

Any tips or tricks would be more than welcome !

post-4953-0-97988800-1391810476_thumb.jpg

post-4953-0-48411200-1391810480_thumb.jpg

.... used an old hdd from seagate but all the same, sorry. 

Same behaviour as with SSD. every keystroke a screen artefact change, sometimes parallel a pulsing screen artefact. However, if I go full screen all artefacts are gone but as soon as I move my mouse to the top and get the menu bar it starts the artefacts again. The photo booth full screen, quick time windows do not seem to be effected yet .... full screen safari does however ... think this has something to do with video mode drivers ....

Scrolling the mouse, where applicable, or maximising the window do have an effect. That way all artefacts are gone for some time, sometimes a short amount of time sometimes longer ....

Still have the original wifi on-board, inactivated but present and detectable .... ???

Some devices are switched active in the BIOS as well, I did a load defaults and only changed the ACPI setting. 

No optimus settings in the Bios/Graphics either so I guess I've got none.

Cabled network, left usb port, right usb ports working. Not the build-in sd card reader though.

I could all without the ports etc, Coding software with these screen artefacts is somewhat .... challenging ...

When Booting with -x option is kind of a workaround since than the artefacts are gone.

post-50845-0-83847300-1391871316_thumb.jpg

already went through that possibility, but can't find any setting even close resembling a memory setup for anything. I think it's hardwired. The only video setting I get in the A12 bios is LCD brightness. It looks like the video memory is fixed to 64 MB.

If someone can tell where and how to do that in the BIOS, I'll be glad to do so ....

Maybe it's the OSX that needs to be set to 64 since the OSX is reporting 1024 MB of video memory ?

Attached are pics to show some more detail.

post-50845-0-27202900-1391895168_thumb.jpg

post-50845-0-76797200-1391895188_thumb.jpg

... changed the IntelCapriFB to 2, 3, 8, 9 rebooted after every change. The result is that the screen artifacts are gone ..... for about 4 or 5 seconds then they kick in again, sometimes very brutal ... and then the idea came just to swap the HDD to another E6430 ....

.... and the results were, lett's say surprisingly ... good ...

... took out the HDD out of my E6430, went over to another E6430, same HW, different BIOS in the beginning, booted the HDD, entered the invalid partition and ..... MAV 10.9.1 worked like a dream with NO screen artifacts, with or without GraphicsEnabler or the IntelCapriFB, deleted those two settings and rebooted. Just kept on working, no screen artifacts noticable. Noticed however that the second E6430 was on bios A07 and mine was on A12 .... so downgraded, expecting positiv results .... No change, screen artifacts keep coming ...

I think I need to get some HW exchanged ....