Startup hanging after EDP update and config on D430

mikewse

Ok, so I have keyboard access again and have transferred Install_EDP to the laptop through a USB stick.

When I try to run the install from the command line in single-user mode (text console, no graphic desktop) it complains about missing Window Server, as expected.

So how can I update EDP in this stage?

(Is it possible to trigger a headless EDP install?)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU is Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 1.2 GHz and it has 2GB RAM. Here's the output of lspci for the rest:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

I've managed to get back into the graphical desktop by:

1. Copying the /Extra folder from another D430 I have access to
  2. Choosing the Boot Ignore Caches option on the boot splash screen
  3. Waiting about an hour while laptop showing black screen and sporadic disk activity
  4. Pressing a key to light up the screen

So what is best to do now? Remove /Extra and /Applications/EDP.app and then do a new install+build of EDP?

• Administrators

That sure is a way but make sure you never reboot before you've finished your new build. You can simply re-install EDP and make a new build. Just be cautious with the default options which might be wrong these days...

Are you running BIOS A09?

The /Extra folder I provided above should have worked without issues; it's taken directly from my D430 Lion install and your U7600 CPU vs. my U7700 will not make any difference...

I will certainly not reboot until I feel as safe as I can :-S

Yes, BIOS is A09.

Default build options may be wrong you say? Very interesting - maybe this is what started the problems in the first place. As every time before I just accepted the defaults when doing the update that gave me the problems.

I'm not fluent in what options are important. Could you help me and point out which ones could need tweaking?

Best regards

Mike

• Administrators

From memory, but I'll check tonight because I certainly have not updated EDP on my D430 for ages (no need, it works):

• Default PS2 pack (probably)
  • VoodooHDA
  • TSCSync
  • GMA950 brightness fix

I think that's all you need. Wireless will depend on the card you have and it appears you have none...

If you use the boot plist + SMBIOS + FakeSMC of my /Extra above, you'll have native SpeedStep. So once you've done your EDP build, just copy those files the /E and /E/E and re-run myfix (quick). Then, you're safe to reboot.

Great, looking forward to hearing from you later then :-)

Your view on updates is very interesting to know more about. I have tried to stay up-to-date with new EDP versions thinking that it will improve over time. Usually I have done EDP update + build after every Apple Program Update, even if just iTunes is updated. But are you saying it is better not to update+build EDP?

Having native SpeedStep sounds good. But these tweaks are not achievable through EDP settings and have to be manually added? Is there a list of interesting manual tweaks somewhere?

Thanks for all help
Mike

• Administrators

EDP updates consist mainly of new systems being added. Should anything else of significant importance be added for existing integrated systems, then we would announce it on the forum. We will add some of those tuning items before long, it's just a matter of finding the time to do and test the EDP app thoroughly afterwards...

I've already posted about the performance tuning for the D430 in this very section. You need to look for it, I can't remember exactly; probably a pinned thread...

Coming back to the D430 EDP build, this is what you should opt for:

1. Copy those files I mentioned above from my /Extra to your /Extra/include folder
  2. Launch EDPWeb and proceed with D430 build as follows:

. Kexts:

Standard PS2 controller (myHack), but you're welcome to choose any other, but beware, some might be 64bit and may not work (I don't know which ones)

Default VoodooHDA (but v2.8.4 should work just as well)

Default Ethernet

Wifi according to your card if required (some work OOB)

Voodoo battery

. CPU&Power:

VoodooTSCSync

. Other tabs:

default settings

That should be it.