To the rescue

pewe1263

• Administrators

You can boot OS X from an external HDD connected to USB, no problem on that front. If you do that, you would normally be able to see your internal HDD and do whatever you want with (eg: add/remove kexts from /E/E and run myfix on it).

i've got only an install usb and when booting from USB I can not get to the folders. I have to select a language and have then certain limitations on utilities. Just disk utility, no finder or the likes of it ... and all the folders are greyed out as if the user has no auth to the folders.

???

yep, you are correct, it was the display settings i was fooling around with and rendered the system to be unbootable. Well at least until the load of the BT stuff there it got stuck. Before I deleted the extra folder (and most likely a myfix) rebooted and started in slow motion mode and some low resolution. Then I used the cham wiz to set the 1366*768 and did a reboot where it than got to the forementioned hang just after the BT load. Rebooting with option -s I thought, getting a bash prompt, mounted the hard disk and where I probably deleted some file(s) from the extra folder and got it back to boot.

• Administrators

Deleting /Extra is totally different from deleting /Extra/Extensions: on top of the latter, the former also includes DSDT (if applicable) and Chameleon boot plist + SMBIO plist. Graphics related boot options such as GraphicsEnabler are stored in boot plist, so this is more likely where you action had an immediate effect.