Black screen before Apple screen - Dell Latitude E5520 (HD Graphics 3000) - 10.9 Mavericks

JaneGoodall

EDIT 1: It installs but I am still figuring out how to boot. Any help will be appreciated.

EDIT 0: I plugged in a different external HDMI monitor and I can get to the install screen. Apparently the HDMI port broke on my first external monitor  :(. I'll leave this here for other people having the same problem.

Hi,

I'm new to these forums but I've been a Mac/Linux user for a while. I have a decent programming background (I write unit tests before I code, my code is commented and modular, etc.) in higher level languages but basically no background in assembly or anything lower level., so I don't think I could inject op codes during installation with a PERL script.

I'm following the myHack guide exactly to make a GUID Mavericks stick, so I'm in AHCI mode, legacy BIOS mode, etc. First, I tried the installer from tonycrapx86 and used GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No, and all the other common "easy fixes". I get a black screen after the white Apple logo screen with both myHack and tonycrapx86's installer, though when I run myHack with -v I don't see the Apple screen at all.

The only error message I've spotted in verbose mode before my screen goes black is BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory.

I think I have to load a modified DSDT before it gets to the install screen. Unfortunately there is no option to do that in the installer, and I don't see anything to help me do that from digging around my USB drive. Am I right and if so, how do I do this? I know I can pull it with a Linux boot stick and then edit it in TextWrangler. If not, what could I do try to get the graphics working for the installation? My laptop does not have a discrete graphics card.

Also, I tried everything relevant on this thread and nothing helped me. I don't think drivers are an issue because I don't have Optimus or any other type of discrete graphics card.

Any help is appreciated. Feel free to suggest "obvious" solutions; I've only built one Hackintosh before and it was a desktop that went by without a hitch.

post-51342-0-60042600-1390279896_thumb.jpg

post-51342-0-16380200-1390279901_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hi,

I'm new to these forums but I've been a Mac/Linux user for a while. I have a decent programming background in higher level (I write unit tests before I code, my code is commented and modular, etc.) languages but basically no background in assembly or anything lower level.

I'm following the myHack guide exactly to make a GUID Mavericks stick, so I'm in AHCI mode, legacy BIOS mode, etc. First, I tried the installer from tonycrapx86 and used GraphicsEnabler=Yes and No, and all the other common "easy fixes". I get a black screen after the white Apple logo screen with both myHack and tonycrapx86's installer, though when I run myHack with -v I don't see the Apple screen at all.

The only error message I've spotted in verbose mode before my screen goes black is BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory.

I think I have to load a modified DSDT before it gets to the install screen. Unfortunately there is no option to do that in the installer, and I don't see anything to help me do that from digging around my USB drive. Am I right and if so, how do I do this? I know I can pull it with a Linux boot stick and then edit it in TextWrangler. If not, what could I do try to get the graphics working for the installation? My laptop does not have a discrete graphics card.

Also, I tried everything relevant on this thread and nothing helped me. I don't think drivers are an issue because I don't have Optimus or any other type of discrete graphics card.

Any help is appreciated. Feel free to suggest "obvious" solutions; I've only build one Hackintosh before and it was a desktop that went by without a hitch.

Try this bootpack and include this for Broadcom LAN. Report your result.

Try this bootpack and include this for Broadcom LAN. Report your result.

Thanks, I want the built-in monitor to work but I figure that'd be easier after installation.

What do I do with the "bootpack"? Do I copy it into /System/Libraries/ after installation? I put EDP into the /Applications directory of my USB stick so I could mv it onto my HDD when I boot up for the first time.

• Moderators

Download both bootpack and broadcom kext above. Put broadcom kext in Extension folder. Run myHack from the usb installer, select install Extra and point to the bootpack above. Once done, boot your system with the USB installer with -v switch.

You should be able to get full graphics, mouse, keyboard, LAN, and even sleep. Report your result.

Download both bootpack and broadcom kext above. Put broadcom kext in Extension folder. Run myHack from the usb installer, select install Extra and point to the bootpack above. Once done, boot your system with the USB installer with -v switch.

You should be able to get full graphics, mouse, keyboard, LAN, and even sleep. Report your result.

Does the bootpack need to be anywhere special? Also, do you mean to make a /Extension directory or do I put the Broadcom kext into /Extra/Extensions?

Since I'm loading a bootpack, won't it load the bootpack's kexts instead of the existing ones, so shouldn't I put the Broadcom kext into the same directory as the unzipped bootpack kexts?

• Moderators

Does the bootpack need to be anywhere special?

Basically the bootpack replaces the generic Extra folder in your USB Installer root. So you could just replace the folder and run myfix (quick). That does the same thing.

Download the version for Mavericks since you're installing Mavericks.

Does the bootpack need to be anywhere special? Also, do you mean to make a /Extension directory or do I put the Broadcom kext into /Extra/Extensions?

Since I'm loading a bootpack, won't it load the bootpack's kexts instead of the existing ones, so shouldn't I put the Broadcom kext into the same directory as the unzipped bootpack kexts?

Basically the bootpack replaces the generic Extra folder in your USB Installer root. So you could just replace the folder and run myfix (quick). That does the same thing.

Download the version for Mavericks since you're installing Mavericks.

Thanks. Does it matter where I put the bootpack onto the USB since there's no need to delete the generic Extra folder? Also, if I overwrite the /Extra directory, how come the bootpack kexts don't go into /Extra/Extensions like the default kexts? And why will the Broadcom kext still get loaded, unlike all the other default kexts, even though the bootpack basically replaces the generic Extra folder?

I guessed:

I renamed the bootpack's Extra directory to Extra-E5420_Mav and put it in the root of my USB. Thus, the bootpack's kexts are in /Extra-E5420_Mav/Extensions.

I put the kext into the existing /Extra/Extensions. I do not know if the bootpack will succeed or fail but I expect Broadcom to fail if I am able to load the bootpack since the installer shouldn't use the default /Extra/Extensions kexts.

UPDATE: It didn't even get to the white Apple screen this time. Can you please tell me where I drag and drop the bootstrap? What will the filestructure in my USB look like?

post-51342-0-83108000-1390285709_thumb.png

post-51342-0-31095100-1390285716_thumb.png

You should put the broadcom kext in my bootpack and rename it to Extra. You could rename the default to generic or something. Run myfix (quick). Then try again. Your USB structure looks fine.

I did that, but I can't even use console commands anymore so I can't run myfix at install time like the guide suggest. Instead, booting from USB takes me straight to Chameleon, which gives me 2 options: Boot to my USB stick or boot to my hard drive. Booting to the USB stick causes a white screen of death and I am not given the choice to enter console commands. Booting to my HDD causes a kernel panic. I think I am able to boot to my HDD because I was able to install OS X with the generic myHack (without the bootpack), however after the install I could not boot into it.

Also, once I am there, what exact console command will I run to run myfix in quick mode? I have a feeling that it won't have a man entry.

Or is it possible to run myfix from my working Mac laptop?