Black screen before Apple screen - Dell Latitude E5520 (HD Graphics 3000) - 10.9 Mavericks

JaneGoodall

After selecting USB from the boot menu, I get the spinning |, /, -, and \ thing for a few seconds. Then I see this screen, which contains the following error message:

EB OS read error:  Controller or device error
     Block 0xc018c0 Sectors: 0

post-51342-0-14895700-1390362122_thumb.jpg

If I select the USB stick I see the white screen with the apple logo on my built-in monitor.

Eventually, it switches to my external HDMI monitor and all I get this a white screen:

post-51342-0-49641300-1390362125_thumb.jpg

I don't see anything on my main screen if my external isn't plugged in.

• Moderators

I did that, but I can't even use console commands anymore so I can't run myfix at install time like the guide suggest. Instead, booting from USB takes me straight to Chameleon, which gives me 2 options: Boot to my USB stick or boot to my hard drive. Booting to the USB stick causes a white screen of death and I am not given the choice to enter console commands. Booting to my HDD causes a kernel panic. I think I am able to boot to my HDD because I was able to install OS X with the generic myHack (without the bootpack), however after the install I could not boot into it.

Also, once I am there, what exact console command will I run to run myfix in quick mode? I have a feeling that it won't have a man entry.

Or is it possible to run myfix from my working Mac laptop?

Yes, you can connect your hackintosh to your Mac laptop and run myfix. Replace the Extra folder with my bootpack, run myHack/myfix (quick). 

Important, make sure to select your USB hdd and not the root ( your real mac), or you might brick it.

Yes, you can connect your hackintosh to your Mac laptop and run myfix. Replace the Extra folder with my bootpack, run myHack/myfix (quick). 

Important, make sure to select your USB hdd and not the root ( your real mac), or you might brick it.

Thanks, I assumed it was a command line tool and totally forgot about the myHack on my laptop.

I got a kernel panic with the myfixed USB stick:

post-51342-0-66915800-1390367024_thumb.jpg

Should I replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the bootpack with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from the original Extras? If so, should I rename it to AppleIntel... or keep it as NullCPU...? I have a i5-2540M, so a Sandy Bridge.

I would just try it but I don't want to risk running it without power management, though I suspect I'd just get another kernel panic or it would crash at boot time.

• Moderators

I got a kernel panic with the myfixed USB stick:

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Should I replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the bootpack with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from the original Extras? If so, should I rename it to AppleIntel... or keep it as NullCPU...? I have a i5-2540M, so a Sandy Bridge.

I would just try it but I don't want to risk running it without power management, though I suspect I'd just get another kernel panic or it would crash at boot time.

yes, replace the files but don't rename it. also leave out the SSDT.aml file as it's for a different processor

yes, replace the files but don't rename it. also leave out the SSDT.aml file as it's for a different processor

That helped, I got it installed now but it freezes on the white Apple load screen when I'm booting to the HDD. I think the important line is ... waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out.

Any ideas why it's still looking for the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext when I replaced it with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext?

Boot to HDD in verbose mode:

post-51342-0-02772400-1390450680_thumb.jpg

looks like something wrong with your fakesmc.kext

I opened the package and grepped in it, but it returned nothing:

real-macbook:Contents janegoodall $grep "NullCPUPowerManagement" -r .

real-macbook:Contents janegoodall $grep "AppleIntelCPUPower" -r .

By comparison:

real-macbook:Contents janegoodall $grep "Power" -r .

Binary file ./MacOS/FakeSMC matches

I found this in Info.plist but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement:

<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>

What else should I look for to tell what's wrong with the FakeSMC.kext?

FakeSMC.kext.zip 

FakeSMC-binary-file-as-text.txt My FakeSMC.kext/Contents/MacOS/FakeSMC binary file converted to a text file with >>, makes parsing easier.