No Display After Installation - Dell Latitude D630

ldp

Hi There,

I am new user here & just finished installing MAC OSX 10.6.3 retail DVD that i bought from apple.com. 

Everything seems going smoothly, but after installation, i heard music and then BLACK screen. I have Intel Graphis 965 chipset, initial reading on net seems, this is the issue. The resolution is 1280x800.

As i cannot see anything on the screen, how do i fix this issue? Appreciate your help. 

Thanks

LDP.

• Administrators

How did you install Snow Leopard on your D630? Here we advocate and support the myHack + OSXLatitude bootpack installations. Please read the EDP pages at top of your screen and use the appropriate D630 bootpack for your myHack installation.

Your issue is well-known and usually affected HiRes WXGA+ 1440x900 LCDs, not LoRes WXGA 1280x800 screens. Anyway, a temporary alternative to your issue might be to use an external screen to which you force initial VGA output at BIOS POST/early bootstrap via Fn-F8. On boot completion, when Mac OS X switches to graphical desktop, you'd be likely to obtain proper display on LCD. Basically, you need the patched DSDT, that possess the fix to your issue...

PS: please post in the correct forum section and read the forum before posting in case your questions have been asked and answered before.

Thanks Herve. My apologies for starting a new thread. I tried to search old posts & could not figure out the solution. 

I will go thru the myhack & osx latitude boot pack option you mentioned. I am still trying to understand the details. 

The way i installed is follwoing:

1) used OSX MOD ISO to boot

2) used apple original 10.6.3 dvd to load os

I just tried connecting to external Dell LED, but all i see is stripes on both. I download the myHack 3.3.1.dmg & will try the method you mentioned. If you can share the direct link/s related to similar issue, that will be helpful. 

Thanks for  your time.

LDP.

• Administrators

Hmm, for SL, you'll need an older version of myHack as v3.3.1 has an issue with SL. However, you can try and boot your ModCD installation with boot option GraphicsEnabler=No to see if it gets you to desktop Ok. Then you can always add our bootpack to make use of the DSDT which should sort out your screen issue. Afterwards, it's easy enough to make a myHack installer and start afresh...

Hi Herve, 

Thanks for the inputs. 

When i connected my external monitor i see all stripes, but when i moved the screen back to LCD, i see 4 small desktop screen. It is like 4 desktop in 14" screen. The letters & font is so small, but i was able to install myhack 3.1.2 that you sent and able to prepare the OS Installer. 

I download the dell d630 files from this site, it gave me a folder name EXTRA, now what should i do? 

the USB installer also has an EXTRA folder, do i just copy all the files from downloaded EXTRA folder to the USB Extra folder? Please suggest. i guess i am almost there...

thanks for you time.

Hi Herve, 

Thanks for the inputs. 

When i connected my external monitor i see all stripes, but when i moved the screen back to LCD, i see 4 small desktop screen. It is like 4 desktop in 14" screen. The letters & font is so small, but i was able to install myhack 3.1.2 that you sent and able to prepare the OS Installer. 

I download the dell d630 files from this site, it gave me a folder name EXTRA, now what should i do? 

the USB installer also has an EXTRA folder, do i just copy all the files from downloaded EXTRA folder to the USB Extra folder? Please suggest. i guess i am almost there...

thanks for you time.

This will patch the install USB stick to use the new /Extras:

1) Remove the existing /Extra folder from your USB stick and rename it to /Extra-original on your real Mac.

2) Put the new /Extra onto the USB stick where the old one was.

3) Run myFix in quick mode from your real Mac. Make sure to select your USB stick from the drop-down; DO NOT select /.

• Administrators

Run myHack again and select "Create Extra" from the scroll-down menu. Select "my Own" not "Generic" and the point to the downloaded Extra (the bootpack). This will basically use the appropriate files for your models. You must follow the same process at the end of installation when prompted for the /Extra: select my own and point to /Extra of your USB installer.

Thanks to Herve & JaneGoodall. 

I re-installed Mac OSX using the USB drive and when system prompted for Extra's and i pointed that to another usb stick where i had the extra folder downloaded from osxlatitude. Basic setup is done now. Thanks again for your help. 

I have following queries & issues:

1) Though the laptop works great, when i connect my external Dell LED monitor, the display change doesn't at all. This is not a major issue.

2) After complete installation, i wanted to create single USB with all latest image and tried to create USB media again, this time the file size increased to 15GB & usb is running very slow. Is this normal? all i did was, installed google chrome & google earth. 

Thanks

LDP