optiplex 755 won't power down. No graphic choices?.

Wayne

Installed Lion and Used EDP, everything working fine apart from when I shut down the machine it powers down to a white screen with a spinner then the spinner stops and it won't shut off?., unusually though it will restart if I select that option?.

Also in the Display resolution settings I only have one choice of resolution?.

Any help on these points appreciated as always thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Long/slow shutdowns & restarts are usually an issue of cache and/or AppleACPIPlatform kext which needs replacement. It's available in the bootpack for your model and it should be installed by EDP which also rebuilds cache at the end of system build, so it's kind of strange... If system restarts when you shutdown, you need to patch your DSDT (the Gigabyte shutdown patch available wih DSDTEditor works fine on Vostro200 and should therefore be Ok on your Optiplex 755).

Screen resolution is a matter that depends entirely on your graphics card and the availability of full graphics acceleration. Optiplex 755 on-board graphics is Q35 chipset integrated GMA 3100 (same as Vostro 200) and that is not supported by Mac OS X. You have to use a supported add-on PCIe x16 graphics card and I did not see any such card when you previously posted your lspci output.

Apologies I may have been misunderstood,

the machine stalls at the white screen on power down and does not switch off at all,

what I was trying to say is that if I alternatively select restart instead of shutdown it will do that proceedure perfectly without any problems?, it's just the shutdown proceedure which isn't working correctly.

My optiplex is the USFF or the very smallest optiplex 755.

So basically it won't shut down at all it closes OSX Lion but doesn't turn off the computer and I have to press the on button on the front of the machine to switch it off thanks , any further help kindly welcome please.

• Administrators

Look at the top of your OSXL web page, click on big EDP menu item then select Bootpacks or Compatibility page. You'll see the bootpacks there. Look for your model and target OS X version. If your desired OS X version is not there, grab the latest available bootpack (say Lion for instance).

Look at the top of your OSXL web page, click on big EDP menu item then select Bootpacks or Compatibility page. You'll see the bootpacks there. Look for your model and target OS X version. If your desired OS X version is not there, grab the latest available bootpack (say Lion for instance).

I'm confused a little are you referring to the EDP program itself ?, I let the program install all relevant items automatically,in the final stage do setting up?, is there any possibility of just having the kext file for the shut down feature?, If EDP didn't install it original what difference will installing EDP again make?, when I installed EDP it deleted my Ethernet kext and replaced it with one which didn't work properly.

Hello again Herve I have installed the boot pack once again but it still won't shut down?. I don't know why, I have done my two dell 755 computers using the same method and both of them won't shut down when asked?, is there by any chance another kext that can be suggested for shut down?, apologies but I don't really know anything as regards the computer terminology.

• Administrators

Ok, if doing an EDP system build deleted your LAN kext, you need to report it as a bug. We cannot know about it otherwise.

Regarding shutdown, if you confirm the behaviour i mentioned above, try the patch I also mentioned above if you feel up to it. Failing that, I'll try and have a look at the DSDT.

I'll try that later on today thanks for all your help, basically the computer doesn't shut down at all without having to pull the plug from the mains!, if you press and hold the button on the front of the desktop to shut it off it just reboots again , on shutdown OSX lion closes to. White screen , I waited for 10 mins and it still wouldn't shut down.

Long/slow shutdowns & restarts are usually an issue of cache and/or AppleACPIPlatform kext which needs replacement. It's available in the bootpack for your model and it should be installed by EDP which also rebuilds cache at the end of system build, so it's kind of strange... If system restarts when you shutdown, you need to patch your DSDT (the Gigabyte shutdown patch available wih DSDTEditor works fine on Vostro200 and should therefore be Ok on your Optiplex 755).

1. Copied the appleACPIPlatform Kext into Kext Utility and let it install the kext it proceeded to over write the previous kext, must have been exactly the same, as it renamed it appleACPIPlatform kext.bak

The system still doesn't shutdown at all it's currently been on a white screen for an hour, that's the only issue it not shutting down, you mention the

DSDT (the Gigabyte shutdown patch available wih DSDTEditor where do you get this from please?

Will that sort this problem out ie, all I need to be able to do is shut the computer down , everything else works perfectly.

I try to press the on button and shut it down that way by holding it in for a few seconds but all it does is reboot the system, so I'm forced into pulling the plug