optiplex 755 won't power down. No graphic choices?.

Wayne

• Administrators

/ is what is called a convention (it's what... 40+ yrs old?), where elements between are the individual parameters so to speak.

Eg: DSDT=/Extra/myDSDT.aml

-> = "/Extra", i.e. folder Extra at HDD root (root = /)

-> = "myDSDT.aml", self-explanatory I think...

Chameleon is our bootloader, a necessity on non-Apple systems since those boot differently than good old traditional BIOS-based PCs. To enter boot flags or boot options, you need to interrupt the Chameleon bootstrap when you see either the delay bar or the countdown; this is done by pressing any key on your keyboard.

Re: motherboard, who knows? Probably a Foxconn manufacture in those days... Have a good read through the various 755 threads on the forum. I'd also invite you to read on as much as you can on Hackintoshing and Chameleon and bootloaders in general to improve your knowledge on the matters. There's plenty on that on the Net.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I ask will updating EDP or installing EDP and running through a new build re install the damaged dsdt.aml ?, or will copying the original untouched dsdt.aml to the Extra folder be sufficient Herve?, Thanks as I currently have the machine back to how it was originally, does the bios automatically default to the dsdt.aml in extras on boot up.

I had a thought about how to shut the machine down rather than pull the plug?, if I make the system dual boot, I could go to the windows partition and shut the machine down? Do you think this would work please?. There used to be an area on here around 12 months ago with reference to dual and triple booting the system after installation of OSX and EDP but I can't locate it , any pointers please to were it is nowadays.

• Administrators

Can I ask will updating EDP or installing EDP and running through a new build re install the damaged dsdt.aml ?, or will copying the original untouched dsdt.aml to the Extra folder be sufficient Herve?, Thanks as I currently have the machine back to how it was originally, does the bios automatically default to the dsdt.aml in extras on boot up.

Why do you say "damaged DSDT"? What's makes you think it's damaged? When you do a system build, EDP will indeed re-install some or all of the files that are included in the bootpack (depending on the eventual option changes you may make) but the DSDT file will be exactly the same. I do not believe we have one DSDT file in the bootpack and one different DSDT in the EDP database. That's be easily verified if you had a different behaviour before and after EDP system build, having used the bootpack for installation.

BIOS does not do anything with DSDT file in /Extra. If there is a DSDT file, OS X will load it to override the table found in BIOS. Remember that DSDT files are originally extracted from BIOS and patched to correct such and such defect for OS X (typically CMOS reset) or inject some additional info about hardware (typically Video cards).

• Administrators

It's a rather odd solution just for a shutdown, don't you think? The solution is either to find the suitable DSDT patch of an eventual shutdown/reboot/restart kext that addresses that issue (you know something like the EVOreboot kext that existed in SL).

I'll try and have a look at the 755's DSDT in the coming days.

Hi, I'm having the same issues with a USFF Optiplex 755. When choosing shutdown, the screen stays grey, and I have to turn it off manually.

I tried to apply the intel shutdown fix, but the resulting DSDT crashes at boot time. Hope someone here can tell us how to fix this.