Attempted Mirror with external monitor has trashed my system.

rj1

I have a D630 2GHz, 2GB Ram, Intel x3100, 1280 x 800 display - running 10.6.7 and it was all happy until I tried to mirror the display with an external monitor. The system went haywire and I had to reboot it. Now it gets stuck at the very beginning of the boot process. If I do a verbose boot I just get this one line - "Loaded HFS+ file: [system/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist] 479 bytes from 4255630." - and then it just sits there doing nothing.

Any Ideas please? Greatly appreciated.

I have another small partition called Spare on the same disk with an OS only install on it and this still boots fine.

try booting -x -v

Hi, thanks for responding. I tries it and it still gets stuck in exactly the same way. Incedentally -x boots it into single user doesn't it - what would I do when I got there?

Thanks

OK, I installed EDP 1.9 on the damaged partition, and ran option 3/7 which is to fix the mirror issue. My machine still sticks at the same point when I try to boot it from the damaged partition.

Is there a way to target EDP at a particular partition or does it run from: A, the booted partition, or; B, the partition it is installed on (in which case it failed to fix my problem)?

Thanks

edp runs on the "installed to" partition/drive so no it did not correct your issue. have you tried to repair the partition from the other working partition using disk utility?

OK, did a repair - disk totally fine, no errors reported. Did repair permissions. Still hangs in the same way.