Mavericks Installation of E5420 Issues

jparnell8839

try booting with -f, see if that fixes your instance sleep during boot

replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with NullCPUPowerManagement if you don't want sleep

ok, -f fixed that. thanks!

only thing missing is ethernet. the B57XX kext didn't work. I'm still dropping 40-60% of my packets. so confused....

---edit---

By setting a static IP (along with DHCP reservation for the same IP with my MAC) and DNS and changing the MTU, I've managed to get the packet loss done to between 20% and 40% packet loss. It's very slow, but internet now works. Unfortunately, not enough for the EDP installer to be of any help. It creates an EDP folder in /Extra and places an EDP app in /Applications, but the /Extra/EDP folder is completely empty.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

ok, -f fixed that. thanks!

only thing missing is ethernet. the B57XX kext didn't work. I'm still dropping 40-60% of my packets. so confused....

---edit---

By setting a static IP (along with DHCP reservation for the same IP with my MAC) and DNS and changing the MTU, I've managed to get the packet loss done to between 20% and 40% packet loss. It's very slow, but internet now works. Unfortunately, not enough for the EDP installer to be of any help. It creates an EDP folder in /Extra and places an EDP app in /Applications, but the /Extra/EDP folder is completely empty.

run lspci -nn in the terminal, see if your ven/dev ID is in this list

<string>pci14e4,165a</string>
<string>pci14e4,167a</string>
<string>pci14e4,1672</string>
<string>pci14e4,167b</string>
<string>pci14e4,1673</string>
<string>pci14e4,169b</string>
<string>pci14e4,1693</string>
<string>pci14e4,1712</string>
<string>pci14e4,1713</string>
<string>pci14e4,1691</string>
<string>pci14e4,1698</string>
<string>pci14e4,16b5</string>
<string>pci14e4,16b1</string>
<string>pci14e4,1692</string>
<string>pci14e4,1600</string>
<string>pci14e4,1681</string>
<string>pci14e4,1680</string>

Well, all this is moot. I just ordered this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VX418E Dell Dw 1510 AGN Half Bcm4322 Dual-band N Pci-e Card 802.11a/g/n. Supposedly has native OS X support out of the box without any hacks/kexts. So, do I just pop this in, boot like there's no tomorrow, and voila? I know that works in Windows and Linux :P I'm guessing that's what OOB stands for in this thread

Total was $22.48 after Express shipping, so it'll be here Friday at the latest.

Ok, so wifi now works. I am posting on my E5420 Hackintosh OSXL with 10.9.1.

What all do I need to test for compatibility before submitting the /Extra folder that I used? Includes the modified DSDT.aml

Works:

Built In Sound

Sound hardware keys (Vol+, Vol-, Mute)

BlueTooth

Built in laptop monitor

Built in keyboard

Built in Mouse (as a mouse, not as a trackpad, no gestures)

Function + Up/Down Arrow to adjust brightness

Sleep/Suspend
Middle mouse mini-joystick thingy that nobody ever uses

Hardware Bluetooth/WiFi switch

Does Not Work:

Built In Ethernet (even with BCM57XX Kext)

Built In WiFi (obviously, ordered Dell WiFi card and worked without any further installation)

Untested:

HDMI Video Out

HDMI Audio Out

VGA Out

SD Card slot

PCI slot (No devices to test with)

IEEE 1394 (No devices to test with)

ON A SIDE NOTE:

2 things I'd like to see fixed, but are in no way hindering operation:

• On integrated keyboard, ALT key is acting as Super (Apple Logo) key. Windows key (Super) is assumedly acting as ALT key, don't know the function of ALT on Macs, don't know how to test. Known fix?
  • Integrated mouse trackpad does not seem to support gestures (my primary usage is for scrolling). Is there a known fix for this?

To fix VGA, HDMI, and HDMI Audio go here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1969-guide-for-enabling-vga-and-hdmi-in-intel-hd3000-gpu/

SD Card Reader: Unzip the file attached and open "System Info.app" and the right click on the VoodooSDHC.kext and click "Show Package Contents" and then right click the Info.plist and refer back to "System Info" find your SD card Vendor ID and enter it in the place of the Vendor ID in the info.plist, drop in E/E.

Keyboard Keys Issue: System Preferences ==> Keyboard ==> Modifier Keys ==> change Command Key to Option Key, and Option key to Command Key.

Ethernet: I am not sure but will do some research if you can either run LSPCI in Terminal, or paste the Ethernet device ID and Vendor ID that can be found in the attached System Info app.

Getting Multitouch: Drop this kext into E/E, and follow the rest of the install instructions (i.e. delete appleacpinub.kext....) And you can go to System Preferences ==> Keyboard ==> Shortcuts ==> Mission Control ==> Now chose the action you want (i.e. show dashboard) and click in the shortcut box, and do the gesture you want (it will show some weird keys, ignore it).

Sleep: So sleep works... thats great! Does it work when it enters sleep by closing the lid? Does it also go in and out of Deep Sleep ok?

"PCI slot (No devices to test with)" - PCI slot? Are you referring to the Smart card? The PCI card is internal...

"IEEE 1394 (No devices to test with)" - What device is this?

Sorry for all the questions, some of the info is needed to get the finer stuff tweaked and working smoothly :)

Have a Great Day!

RehabMan-Voodoo-ALPS-2014-0208-update-2.zip

System Information.zip

Thanks for this! I was expecting many, many more hours of Googling before asking for assistance this detailed!

To fix VGA, HDMI, and HDMI Audio go here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1969-guide-for-enabling-vga-and-hdmi-in-intel-hd3000-gpu/

SD Card Reader: Unzip the file attached and open "System Info.app" and the right click on the VoodooSDHC.kext and click "Show Package Contents" and then right click the Info.plist and refer back to "System Info" find your SD card Vendor ID and enter it in the place of the Vendor ID in the info.plist, drop in E/E.

Keyboard Keys Issue: System Preferences ==> Keyboard ==> Modifier Keys ==> change Command Key to Option Key, and Option key to Command Key.

Getting Multitouch: Drop this kext into E/E, and follow the rest of the install instructions (i.e. delete appleacpinub.kext....) And you can go to System Preferences ==> Keyboard ==> Shortcuts ==> Mission Control ==> Now chose the action you want (i.e. show dashboard) and click in the shortcut box, and do the gesture you want (it will show some weird keys, ignore it).

I will certainly attend to this as soon as I am able to. Homework calls, and as of right now I am procrastinating! :P

Ethernet: I am not sure but will do some research if you can either run LSPCI in Terminal, or paste the Ethernet device ID and Vendor ID that can be found in the attached System Info app.

When running lspci -nn in terminal:

0a:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5761 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1681] (rev 10)

Sleep: So sleep works... thats great! Does it work when it enters sleep by closing the lid? Does it also go in and out of Deep Sleep ok?

Yes, closing the lid will make the computer enter sleep mode, opening the lid will bring the screen to life (most of the time. When it does not, I'm assuming that's deep sleep?). I am assuming Deep Sleep functions properly, as if I leave it alone for too long, I have to press the power button opposed to just hitting space, but it always is prompting for login within a second of hitting power (no BIOS/Chameleon loader), but to be honest I don't know how to respond, as I don't know how to test.

"PCI slot (No devices to test with)" - PCI slot? Are you referring to the Smart card? The PCI card is internal...

I was mistaken, not PCI, ExpressCard. The slot above the SD card slot.

"IEEE 1394 (No devices to test with)" - What device is this?

FireWire :) Mine has a FireWire mini port on it.

Oh and does the Internal Microphone work? Your previous post said nothing about that. You can check by going to System Preferances ==> Sound ==> Input ==> and look for a microphone input.

And also, does the Webcam work?

Internal Mic does indeed work. Updating OP with this after this.

Does not have integrated webcam.

Sorry for all the questions, some of the info is needed to get the finer stuff tweaked and working smoothly :)

Have a Great Day!

Questions are no problem at all! You're the one helping me :D

You have a great one as well :)

Sweet. I'm doing homework as we speak... or should be :)

On Deep Sleep, yes, what you described tells me that it is working.

The Express Card may work oob, have you tested it? Mine just worked from the beginning (though I have the E6420). 

I will check about the FireWire Mini port.

About the Ethernet... I have an idea, will you post up the kext you used to get 66% packet loss?

Edit: The Firewire port is supported OOB by OSX, both OSX86.net and tony crap. So knock those off the list (: