Installing 10.6 on D-630

denmanjum

I'm noticing a couple of odd things happening.

Firstly the display is only showing as 1024 x 768 whereas it should be 1280 x 800. It looks OK when I boot from my installer but from the installation itself only 1024 x 768 is available in the Display preferences.

Secondly the trackpad doesn't respond when I use one finger. It only works properly with two fingers, i.e. it acts as if I was using one finger when I use two!

Any ideas how to fix these?  :?

• Administrators

Seems you're booting in 64bit kernel mode, not in 32bit mode. Reboot and manually enter Chameleon option arch=i386. Once booted, if that indeed fixes the problem, make sure to add that to the Chameleon boot plist. Use Chameleon Wizard to select that option.

Hooray! I've finally managed to log in! I haven't been able to do that since the end of November. I think that some over-enthusiastic anti-spam software at the forum was responsible as I kept getting told that my email address had been marked as spam and I couldn't log in.

Anyway, I'm afraid to report that I'm no further forward with the D630. The same problem remains and I don't know how to fix it.

Firstly the display is only showing as 1024 x 768 whereas it should be 1280 x 800. It looks OK when I boot from my installer but from the installation itself only 1024 x 768 is available in the Display preferences.

Secondly the trackpad doesn't respond when I use one finger. It only works properly with two fingers, i.e. it acts as if I was using one finger when I use two!

I am reluctantly considering just putting Windoze 7 back on it and giving it to the owner that way.

• Administrators

did you try adding the resolutions.dylib module to the modules folder as for trackpad if you do not like the performance of your existing trackpad try another kext for it. edp had a few different options with different characteristics.

I suggest reverting back to the Extras pack that Hervé provided for you so you can at least get back to a stage where you can boot.

The important thing about the Intel x3100 based machines is that the graphics drivers only work in 32-bit mode, so your org,chameleon.Boot.plist file (found in the Extras folder) must have the following lines in it:

<key>arch</key>
<string>i386</string>

Either edit the file directly with a text editor or download Chameleon Wizard and use that (the extry will be in the right hand list)

H

Thanks Hyram. I tried putting those lines into the plist but I'm not sure where I should insert them. I tried a couple of places but it didn't make any difference. When I rebooted the display was still wrong. I'm also finding it very hard to do anything because the trackpad is misbehaving badly.