Optiplex 960 Help

jparnell8839

-----EDIT-----

Using generic /Extra folder on MyHack, here's what works and doesn't. Will upload entire package once everything's fixed.

Updated output of lspci -nn (trimmed this time). Notice it recogizes the ATI card for what it actually is :) actually, it recognizes everything, but still no sound :(

00:03.3 Serial controller [0700]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Serial KT Controller [8086:2e17] (rev 03)

00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10de] (rev 02)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a6e] (rev 02)

00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller [8086:3a60] (rev 02)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Turks [Radeon HD 6670] [1002:6758]

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Turks HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6000 Series] [1002:aa90]

Works:

Just about everything not listed below, that I can think of. Give me ideas of what to test.

Ethernet (using hnak's AppleIntelE100e v2.4.14 kext)

Light sleep

App Store/iMessage/iTunes login (with instructions from here)

Does Not Work:

Integrated Sound

HDMI sound

Deep Sleep

Untested:

? Send me things to test?

-----END EDIT-----

Ok, so low and behold, I got the help of a few people on this site and WOW I finally got Mavericks on my Latitude E5420.

So, I'm hoping the fine people of OSXL can help me with another computer. My Dell Optiplex 960. I installed it via iFail method, but there are several things that don't work (sound, especially through HDMI on my AMD Radeon HD 6670, and Apple Store login, to be specific). Specs (via lspci):

00:03.3 Serial controller [0700]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Serial KT Controller [8086:2e17] (rev 03)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10de] (rev 02)

00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:3a6e] (rev 02)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:6758]

01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa90]

Additionally, any advice on building a boot pack by myself would be greatly appreciated. I don't really know how to even begin wading through all the /E files that it requires....

Well, to start, some computers (alot of desktops) boot with generic extra folders, so just run myHack on the USB drive and run install extra, and choose generic. (sorry if you know this already), if it boots, Great! If not post where the boot hangs with the "-v" boot flag.

The kexts you used with iFail will work in myHack as well, so you can use the ones you used to get some of the hardware working. (Please let us know what kexts you used for what hardware).

To get HDMI audio working, I am reading about some issues with this card (like no video after sleep...), did you experience these? If not, then I will move onto the Audio issue (as video is more important than audio.

To get iMessage, Appstore, and other i-apps working, drop the attached "FlieNVRAM.dylib" into /Extra/Modules/ and just reboot (common problem)

After we finish installation, it would be nice to add a list of Working, Partially Working, and Not working to the OP.

Cut down the output of LSPCI to only useful pieces (:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:6758]
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa90]

Well, to start, some computers (alot of desktops) boot with generic extra folders, so just run myHack on the USB drive and run install extra, and choose generic. (sorry if you know this already), if it boots, Great! If not post where the boot hangs with the "-v" boot flag.

The kexts you used with iFail will work in myHack as well, so you can use the ones you used to get some of the hardware working. (Please let us know what kexts you used for what hardware).

To get HDMI audio working, I am reading about some issues with this card (like no video after sleep...), did you experience these? If not, then I will move onto the Audio issue (as video is more important than audio.

To get iMessage, Appstore, and other i-apps working, drop the attached "FlieNVRAM.dylib" into /Extra/Modules/ and just reboot (common problem)

After we finish installation, it would be nice to add a list of Working, Partially Working, and Not working to the OP.

I didn't use any self-injected kexts with unifail installation. Most things worked, but then again I have no idea what unifail injected.

I didn't have an issue with no video after sleep, but I always disable sleep on my desktops. I've re-enabled it, will post updates.

As to App Store woes, somebody on the tonycrap forums posted this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niU8tsQ_S8o and it actually works. Got that one nipped, anyway. (btw, no file was attached)

I plan on Time Machining my desktop (just in case!) and building a MyHack installer, lets just see what this throws at me :) Will update OP with what works/doesn't based on my E5420. Some things will be different, will shift fire as they come up.

Thanks for the help! :D

----EDIT----

Sleep appears to work. Don't know about deep sleep. Gonna go to sleep myself, let you know tomorrow :P

Just FYI, Unifail injects no kexts or dsdt, that is what multifail is for, so as long as you didn't use multifail, it was working oob. If you did use multifail, what optiond did you select?

If deepsleep doesnt work, I have a dimple fix for that on most desktops.

Sorry about not attaching the file, I was tired :P, you may still need that file for iMessage to work though... I will attach it tonight.

Deep sleep did not work , though I am not convinced it was a graphics issue, as Teamviewer didn't recognize that the device was online. I waited all of 5 minutes after hitting the power button (which was flashing, so it was asleep) and it didn't come up.

idk about iMessage, but Messages app works.

As far as multifail goes, I used the EasyBeast method in there. Not sure which kexts are included : /

I'm about to build my MyHack USB installer, so lets see what happens :P

Other things to test: CPU Frequency (Gigahertz), install and run this program, and verify using it that your CPU's are running at the correct speeds, and have the correct # of cores listed. Also, does VGA work? I see a VGA compliant controller above...

Deep Sleep: Lets try changing how it sleeps (i.e. Suspend to disk, RAM, or both). What system definitions do you have? (When you click about this mac, what does it say?)

Ok, now to change the Hibernate Mode, First type:

sudo pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

Record it's output, and try to change it using the below commands (only what is in the quotes), if one of these cause normal sleep not to work, just change it back to what it was before.

“sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0″ = suspend to RAM only (default on desktops)
“sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1″ = suspend to disk only
“sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3″ = suspend to disk + RAM (default on laptops). --- What I think is going to work for you, as I think (correct me if I am wrong) that the OptiPlex 960 has 2 GB of RAM? Probably not enough for Mode 0 to work...

HDMI Audio: Try this, plug in HDMI and do this: Open System Preferences – Sound – Output – And choose for Headphones. If not, I have some other (much more complicated ideas about a DSDT (:  )

Internal Audio: reported on a dead forum post about Snow Leopard that VoodooHDA 2.6.2 works fine, take that from the attached .zip and drop it in /E/E/, then run myFix (Quick)

Also, for good measure, drop the FileNVRAM.dylib into /Extra/Modules/ and reboot.

FileNVRAM-1.1.3.zip

VoodooHDA.kext.zip