Dell Latitude D620 Thread

vorob

Latitude D620 here...

Installing 10.6.0 SL retail disk after using D620 boot disk.

During the install the screen went blank.

The cdrom and HDD lights still flash.

D620 is equipped with 3 GB of memory and the nvidia card.

Any ideas? Its difficult to know when its done if I cant see what its doing.

Ok It's happened again. The damn thing just froze on me. I first thought it was an overheating issue so I bought a laptop cooler pad thing and still it happens. Leon suggested I "next time you have one, grap your /var/log/system.log and /var/log/kernel.log and post them in a new thread in the support forum... might share some light on the case.. also take note of what it says..." except that I have no idea where those log files are. Sorry. Might it be something to do with the fact that I have upgraded the HDD, the processor and the ram?

Maybe because I have a USB audio unit attached?

Maybe because I have usb bluetooth?

A docking station?

Any help would be super.

many thanks in advance.

You need to test the memory .. I'm going to suggest you burn a copy of memtest to a cd and boot it. I would also check the hd using volitans smart utility.

memtest --> http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

smart tool --> http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Were you getting lockups before those upgrades? if so it may very well be the hd or the ram. run memtest overnight and see if it locks or crashes.

gl

Thanks. I'll try that as soon as I've got time. I still got crashes with the old hard disk but the ram has been fine for use in windows and more recently linux with no noticable full system freezes. The processor upgrade coincided with the switch to snowleopard so I have no comparison.

When I have some spare time I'll try changing hardware but it's still only done it to me a handful of times and at such random moments it may take me months and months to find a hardware config that works.

• Administrators

is the memory the same timinig ? .. meaning, are both (if you have two) 667 or 800mhz.. they need to be the same...

Have you looked in your logs to look for any errors ?

is the memory the same timinig ? .. meaning, are both (if you have two) 667 or 800mhz.. they need to be the same...

Have you looked in your logs to look for any errors ?

Ah now this might be the problem!

I think they're different.

I'll get rid of the 1 gig and leave the 2 gig. I was told by an IT hardware tech that it's be fine however he's never used OSX in anything. Is it different then?