Getting ATI radeon x1300/x1550 working on Mavericks

sbhachu

Hi all,

I pretty new to this so I was hoping someone can help me. I have a Dell XPS 210 and I installed Mavericks (using unifail and multifail).  I managed to get the system to boot but I can't increase the graphics resolution from 1024 x 768. I have an ATI Radeon x1300/x1550 graphics card (device id 0x7183) with dual DVI output. How would I able to get this to work?

Any help would be appreciated. 

• Administrators

That card was last supported in Snow Leopard. It's not supported since Lion. I did some extensive work on the matter but could not succeed in getting the card working 100% in Lion, I could only get FrameBuffer support, not full QE/CI:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1579-lion-on-dell-optiplex-755-with-radeon-x1300-128-mb/page-2

There is no support whatsoever fot ATI X1000 Series since Mountain Lion (no kexts or whatever) so you have to replace that card by a supported model. I can recommend nVidia GeForce G210 or GT610 as cheap low-end alternatives. Both work OOB.

OK thanks for confirming. I hoped something was possible as the compatablity and downloads page (http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/compatibility/) had a Dell Vostro 200 bootpack for 10.9 (mavericks) which includes an ATI1300Controller.kext file.

The XPS 210 is slim line case which uses a low profile graphics card and I seem to recall a lower power supply. Do you think those cards you mentioned will be ok? If so, I saw this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eVGA-GeForce-GT-610-Graphics-Card-1-GB-810-MHz-PCI-Express-2-0-x16-HDMI-NVIDIA-/310865633145?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item4861091f79

• Administrators

Absolutely, I got a similar GT610. The card was delivered with 2 low-profile backplanes as additional accessories to default full-height backplane: 1 low-profile for HDMI + DVI connector and 1 low-profile for VGA connector (that has extended ribbon cable). Look here for details.

The X1300 kext in the Vostro200 bootpack is actually for SL only but it's been carried over by mistake; we need to take it out of the bootpacks and make that and EDP optional add-on like audio packs or wireless packs for instance.

Great thanks for all your help. The only concern is that the power supply in the XPS 210 is 275w and for that card the minimum is 300w. Do you think that will be a big issue?

On a side note, I used unifail and multifail for the build as I couldn't find a DSDT/bootpack for my machine. Is there any disadvantages with this or should I try to do the DSDT route?

• Administrators

No issue re: power, no. My Vostro200 Power supply is rated under 300W too.

We don't support those methods you've mentioned, they have their own dedicated web site. Here we support and advocate myHack... All I can say is you may not need a DSDT table if all your hardware appears detected & functional (eg: graphics, audio, etc.) and all expected features operating normally (eg: restart, shutdown, sleep, wake, etc.). Our bootpacks are a facility we provide for models we've setup and tested in order to ease installation for the mass, but it's nothing magical and anyone can, in theory, come up with a bootpack. They only require a bit of knowledge and experience.

Thanks Herve

Installed the graphics card and rebuilt the machine with myHack (without the DSDT) and most things are working great. Only a couple of queries.

1. I noticed on some of the screenshots on your post that you have a icon in the main menu for display settings, I don't seem to have this. Do I need to install something?

2. Sleep seems to be working but on wake the computer comes back pretty straight away but it take a bit of time for the monitors to switch back on. Is that the same for you?