[SOLVED] E6230: OS X + Windows Dual Booting Issues

mrsunshine

Hello!

I am trying to install OS X 10.9.1 and Windows on the same hard drive but can't seem to get it to work.

I followed the "Dual Booting Demystified" guide on the myHack website with no luck.

Here's what I've done so far:

• Boot OS X installer using myHack USB
  • Open Disk Utility
  • Partition the HD into two parts:
    1. OS X: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
    2. Windows: MS-DOS (FAT)

And from there:

Scenario 1:

• Install OS X
  • Install Chameleon
  • Plug in bootable Windows 8.1 USB
  • Reboot while holding down F12
  • Under UEFI BOOT: > UEFI: (USB)
  • Install > Custom
  • Select "Windows" partition (FAT)
  • Format to NTSF
    Problem: Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk has an MBR partition table.  On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Scenario 2:

• Do not install OS X
  • Plug in bootable Windows 8.1 USB
  • Reboot while holding down F12
  • Under UEFI BOOT: > UEFI: (USB)
  • Install > Custom
  • Select "Windows" partition (FAT)
  • Format to NTSF
    Problem: Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk has an MBR partition table.  On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

I have tried partitioning the HD under both GUID (GPT) and MBR.  Both gave me the same error:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk has an MBR partition table.  On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Possible reason(s):

Maybe it has something to do with me selecting UEFI BOOT.  I tried selecting "USB Storage Device" under "Legacy Boot" but it just shows a black screen with a white blinking underscore.

I am creating the Bootable USB on my Mac using Boot Camp.

What am I doing wrong?!

Thank you in advance! 

Regards,
Mr. Sunshine

P.S.

I have a Dell Latitude E6230.

• Moderators

I have tried partitioning the HD under both GUID (GPT) and MBR.  Both gave me the same error:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk has an MBR partition table.  On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Use GUID and disable UEFI in BIOS

Possible reason(s):

Maybe it has something to do with me selecting UEFI BOOT.  I tried selecting "USB Storage Device" under "Legacy Boot" but it just shows a black screen with a white blinking underscore.

I am creating the Bootable USB on my Mac using Boot Camp.

You mean creating the Windows 8.1 bootable USB?

Use GUID and disable UEFI in BIOS

You mean creating the Windows 8.1 bootable USB?

Thanks for the quick reply Jake!

I forgot to mention my settings:

In BIOS:

General

-Boot Sequence: Internal HHD --> USB Storage Device --> Onboard NIC

-Advance Boot Options: Enable Legacy Option ROMs

Secure Boot = Disabled

With that said, I believe I already have UEFI turned off.

After holding down F12, if I select to boot from "USB Storage Device", it takes me to a black screen with a blinking underscore.

I am creating the Windows 8.1 bootable USB using Boot Camp on my Mac.

I tried this with 2 different Windows 7 .iso and an 8.1 .iso.

• Moderators

Thanks for the quick reply Jake!

I forgot to mention my settings:

In BIOS:

General

-Boot Sequence: Internal HHD --> USB Storage Device --> Onboard NIC

-Advance Boot Options: Enable Legacy Option ROMs

Secure Boot = Disabled

With that said, I believe I already have UEFI turned off.

After holding down F12, if I select to boot from "USB Storage Device", it takes me to a black screen with a blinking underscore.

I am creating the Windows 8.1 bootable USB using Boot Camp on my Mac.

I tried this with 2 different Windows 7 .iso and an 8.1 .iso.

I don't know what process you use to build the bootable usb from iso, but here's my process:

From Windows, launch Diskpart

run the following command, hit Enter after each command

• list disk (note the disk # of your USB you want to build on)
  • sel disk 1 ( whatever disk number your USB is mounted)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • sel partition 1
  • format fs=ntfs quick
  • active 
  • assign

Now copy the entire content of your ISO to the USB. This  USB is now bootable.

Update: check this guide regarding dual booting.

I don't know what process you use to build the bootable usb from iso, but here's my process:

From Windows, launch Diskpart

run the following command, hit Enter after each command

• list disk (note the disk # of your USB you want to build on)
  • sel disk 1 ( whatever disk number your USB is mounted)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • sel partition 1
  • format fs=ntfs quick
  • active 
  • assign

Now copy the entire content of your ISO to the USB. This  USB is now bootable.

Update: check this guide regarding dual booting.

Jake,

I followed your method for creating a bootable Windows USB but got a BOOTMGR missing error when trying to boot from it.

I also tried using Mac OSX's Boot Camp to create a bootable Windows USB but that did not work.

I tried using Unetbootin to create the bootable USB and when I select "Custom", delete the FAT partition and create a new NTFS partition, it still gives me this error:

I find this particularly strange because I am partitioning the HDD using GUID but for some reason, the Windows 8 install thinks it's MBR.

I am going to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from the Microsoft Store to create yet another bootable USB.

I will keep you posted and if another tip/advice comes to mind, please let me know!

Did you copy all the files in the ISO including the bootmgr?

Thanks Jake Lo!

That did the trick and I was able to install Windows 8.1 on one partition and OSX on the other.  However, I came across another problem once I finished installing OSX.

There seems to be a flickering screen of some sort.  I've attached a picture of how the screen would flicker.  This is strange since I've followed all the same steps as I did before but never had this problem until AFTER I installed Windows on one partition.

Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Photo%20Feb%2021%2C%204%2059%2017%20AM.j

EDIT:

I forgot to use the Search button before posting.  I saw that Jake Lo has already came up with a fix for this.  Thanks!

Ok, BUMP.  Couldn't find a way to fix this.  My screen has the 1366x768 resolution.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

I *ALMOST* have the perfect dualbooting machine.  I can't wait to get this fixed so I can start beta testing trackpad .kext's. D:

Also, my BIOS is on A12.

Okay, to sum it up:

The problem with me not being able to boot from USB WITHOUT using the UEFI mode has something to do with how I created the Windows Bootable USB.

Solution: Use Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool: Here

The problem with the flickering screen had something to do with the A12 BIOS update on my Dell Latitude E6230.  I was able to remedy the problem with a simple firmware downgrade from A12 to A11.

Solution: Download the BIOS executable file, execute the .exe and follow the instructions on-screen.  Link to the A11 BIOS firmware can be found: here.

Again, thank you guys so much for helping me through this!

• Moderators

Okay, to sum it up:

The problem with me not being able to boot from USB WITHOUT using the UEFI mode has something to do with how I created the Windows Bootable USB.

Solution: Use Microsoft's Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool: Here

The problem with the flickering screen had something to do with the A12 BIOS update on my Dell Latitude E6230.  I was able to remedy the problem with a simple firmware downgrade from A12 to A11.

Solution: Download the BIOS executable file, execute the .exe and follow the instructions on-screen.  Link to the A11 BIOS firmware can be found: here.

Again, thank you guys so much for helping me through this!

I have confirmed the flickering issue with BIOS A12. Restoring to A11 or A10 fixes the issue.