Intel NUC does not install

pewe1263

Just got me a nice Intel NUC DC3217IYE and found your bootpack.

Made a brand new boot USB for 10.9.1 and applied your bootpack by second run of myHack 3.3.1 and installed the extras.

Booting from that USB for the NUC got me a message that the BIOS setting for the video should be 96, 64, 32 MB whereas mine was set to it lowest possible value of 128 MB, can't go lower in the NUC's BIOS. Just below the message it mentioned to press a key to continue, so I did ...

With the boot package it ended in a panic and some errors .... stopped at System uptime in nanaseconds and some number ...

Made a second USB Boot for now 10.8.5 and without the boot pack.

Same 128 MB video message but after hitting a key the white apple screen came with the circling wheel and after that the usual stuff as normal when you install OSX. Format the harddrive and installed on the harddrive. The system continued very slowly with installing whatever it needs to install but at another couple of minutes to go it ran into some unexpected error and the whole install failed.

So I installed the extras folder again this time for 10.8 of course and did the exercise again.

Now it gave an OSX Latitude boot screen with a slowly decreasing time to put in any options. Let that run through and the system continued with a verbose boot ending in the below picture, hope you can read it.

For what it's worth, no network connected. Just power, usb, big telly through HDMI connector.

Internals:

RAM = Kingston KVR16S11/8 = 8GB 1600 CL11 SODIMM

SSD = Kingston SMS200S3/60G = 60GB mSata

Hope one of you can help !!!!!

post-50845-0-30723600-1393366859_thumb.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Just got me a nice Intel NUC DC3217IYE and found your bootpack.

Made a brand new boot USB for 10.9.1 and applied your bootpack by second run of myHack 3.3.1 and installed the extras.

Booting from that USB for the NUC got me a message that the BIOS setting for the video should be 96, 64, 32 MB whereas mine was set to it lowest possible value of 128 MB, can't go lower in the NUC's BIOS. Just below the message it mentioned to press a key to continue, so I did ...

With the boot package it ended in a panic and some errors .... stopped at System uptime in nanaseconds and some number ...

Made a second USB Boot for now 10.8.5 and without the boot pack.

Same 128 MB video message but after hitting a key the white apple screen came with the circling wheel and after that the usual stuff as normal when you install OSX. Format the harddrive and installed on the harddrive. The system continued very slowly with installing whatever it needs to install but at another couple of minutes to go it ran into some unexpected error and the whole install failed.

So I installed the extras folder again this time for 10.8 of course and did the exercise again.

Now it gave an OSX Latitude boot screen with a slowly decreasing time to put in any options. Let that run through and the system continued with a verbose boot ending in the below picture, hope you can read it.

For what it's worth, no network connected. Just power, usb, big telly through HDMI connector.

Internals:

RAM = Kingston KVR16S11/8 = 8GB 1600 CL11 SODIMM

SSD = Kingston SMS200S3/60G = 60GB mSata

Hope one of you can help !!!!!

Trying adding a patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext to the Bootpack

copied over the kext and performed a quick myfix.

Tried it again on the DC3217IYE and .... well at least I got a different version stamp on the kext when getting the panic .....

See screen for hopefully readable result:

Strange that it doesn't get booted at least. I simply followed the EDP instructions from the EDP pages when making a boot USB.

1. Fire up my E6430, yep the one with the nasty screen

2. Used myHack 3.3.1 to make an install USB

3. Started myHack again to install my own extras pointing to the downloaded bootpack from the EDP compatibility page

4. Put the USB in the NUC and booted ....

However my NUC hardware is from 23 November, 2013. Maybe Intel changed something after all .....

But still no luck ... yet ...

I think I'm gonna try just booting from E6430 USB and see how far it gets ...

post-50845-0-22135400-1393445415_thumb.jpg

Well, I used my E6430 boot usb and got stuck while the usb drive was corrupt as noted on screen.

What was noted that the apply boot screen started pretty much directly and the circling thing went on for a while and the top of the apple got a nice square with a forbidden sign in it, like in traffic a red circle with a kind of backslash through it.

What surprised me as well was that when booting in verbose mode all the reported message were displayed a lot faster than with NUC USB boot, exceptionally faster ... although the USB drives are both 2.0 as is the NUC's USB port ....

Next try is performing a SL 10.6.3 install see if that works ... 

Hi MH,

thank you for mentioning IT does work ....

BIOS is the 0040 of 03/25/2013, the system is mfged november 2013.

got no idea why it doesn't work for me ....

that with SL boot didn't work as well some direct panic message.

I'll make a new generic USB MAV boot USB and report back ....

post-50845-0-82319500-1393452312_thumb.jpg

post-50845-0-59492600-1393452313_thumb.jpg

post-50845-0-15470700-1393452351_thumb.jpg

Used myHack to make just the OSX MAV 10.9.1 boot USB. Didn't even bother the restart myHack to put the generic extras on just left it as is. 

Went over to my little DC3217IYE and started from the USB. I still got the message about that 128 MB is not valid for a HD4000 only 96, 64 or 32 and had to press some key to continue ... so I did. Now the nice language picker screen came and after selecting english for a change ... it gave me some log screen and that the installation couldn't be finished or so.

Well I saved the log and attached for you hopefully can read more out of it since for me it could be almost chinese that's something I can't deceiver as well.

In the process I found out that my internal Kingston SMS200S3/60G SSD was kind a gone, only 33 MB total space (this is not a typo) listed in the DiskUtility and not partitions and have a very strange name like Sand-something with a magical number behind it between curly brackets. This is brand new hw, just a couple of days old. The SSD should be 60 GB in size ....

Any tips are more than welcome ...

Installer Log 26-Feb-2014.txt