Dell D630 Nvidea heat

RobertB

I have two Dell D630 systems both with the Nvideau video chip.

The first system I had twice in the oven to reflow to get the video working again.

The system is out of order due to the heat of the video for some time now. Did not do the reflow for the third time.

The second system has the same problem now as well.

Video stopped and I have to reflow it to get it working again.

When I do the reflow it will work for a nother 3 to 6 months but what can I do to kool the video processor better to keep the system running for 2 years or so?

Does one of you has a good tip that does work for you?

I love the Dell D630 but when it keeps breaking down on me it is not the right way.

thanks,

I have two Dell D630 systems both with the Nvideau video chip.

The first system I had twice in the oven to reflow to get the video working again.

The system is out of order due to the heat of the video for some time now. Did not do the reflow for the third time.

The second system has the same problem now as well.

Video stopped and I have to reflow it to get it working again.

When I do the reflow it will work for a nother 3 to 6 months but what can I do to kool the video processor better to keep the system running for 2 years or so?

Does one of you has a good tip that does work for you?

I love the Dell D630 but when it keeps breaking down on me it is not the right way.

thanks,

What have you done to keep the temperture of the GPU under control?

I don't have the same computer as yours but with my Dell Latitude E6400, I have 2 normal sized computer fans connected to a broken USB cable and I put them both under my laptop to cool it down.

I've had times where the system lags because of the heat and this has helped it a lot.

I have never done a reflow on mine mainly because of the fans cooling the computer down...

Hope this helps ya...

Peace

Thanks for the replay.

For sure this would help but I'm wondering if others have the same problem with the Nvidea chip breaking down due to heat.

Are they running the D630 systems 4 to 5 hours a day? how come that mine keeps breaking down.

Is their a setting that would increase the fan speed to keep the system running at a lower temp?

• Administrators

i replaced the blue heatsink pads with copper shims  as big as would fit in the gpu area. and some arctic silver on both sides of it. i used some pieces of copper from some heatsinks i had laying around. also make sure the fan is running smooth and not noisy. i also used no clean liquid reflow flux when i had to repair my mobo's. it helps "re wet" the bga solder.

i replaced the blue heatsink pads with copper shims  as big as would fit in the gpu area. and some arctic silver on both sides of it. i used some pieces of copper from some heatsinks i had laying around. also make sure the fan is running smooth and not noisy. i also used no clean liquid reflow flux when i had to repair my mobo's. it helps "re wet" the bga solder.

Thanks for the replay.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the "no clean liquid re-flow flux?

So fare I have re-backed mine in the oven at 200C for 8 minutes.

put the querry in ebay you will get tons of options. some are clear some are rosin based liquids. 

I have found the product but can you please explain what this would do?

As mentioned I have had mine mobo in the oven twice before and that did the trick.

I did not use any no clean liquid flux.

Would the no clean liquid flux help the with better re-flowing?

Also to keep the system control the temperature better would a additional fan control app in OSX help.

I would be able to set a higher lower fan speed so that the system would bet a better cooling also at the lower fan speed as this would be higher that what it is at this moment.

It could also have the option of setting the max fan speed at a lower high temp. so the system will start cooling harder even at a lower temperature.

Does one of you have experiences with that?

thanks,

• Administrators

there used to be a thread here on i8kfan control and some diagnostic mode with a key combination during booting for fan control. 

flux is necessary when soldering it cleans the  solder and promotes better solder adhesion. to put it simple.