[Guide] E7440 with Clover

pokenguyen

To summarize my issues are:

- after wakeup from sleep the sound is not working

- the video hardware acceleration is not working

- I have some reboots connecting some USB sticks

My HW is 7440 with FHD (no touch). I have installed ML 10.9.4. BIOS was A05, now is A10, audio after wakeup is still an issue, video acceleration still an issue. Disabled USB3 controller from bios and usb sticks seem to work without an issue.

The video hardware acceleration is a known issue see https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6092-latitude-e7440/page-3&do=findComment&comment=40857

Thank you all for your excellent work!!!!

EDIT:

After installing MacOS10.9.2 the I had video acceleration working... Also installing EAPDFix_v1.7.1 got audio after sleep working... 

I reInstalled 10.9.2 on i7 and 1920x1080. 

Need help in controlling the brightness  and there is no sound through the speakers ( aware the headphones ll have white noise).

None of the USBs are working after the final boot.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would say check your .plist and your Extra dir. Also try grabbing the ssdt at the bottom of the first post here. https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/6472-dell-latitude-e7240e7440-with-mavericks-1092/&do=findComment&comment=37490
I had to make changes to my .plist for my settings and install the .kext's with kext helper to get it just right.  For the boot up brightness issue I removed ACPIBacklight.kext from the Extra dir.  Make sure your BIOS is up to date as well.

Maybe try 10.9.4 thats what I started with I am now on Yosemite and have a fully functional reliable machine thanks to this guide.

• Like 1

NextVision -thanks for the tip. I just grabbed the SSDT from the link you have provided. All is working as before. My machine crashes after it resumes from sleep (lis close)! is it normal with your machine as well. It was crashing irrespective which SSDT i choose.

Thanks for the insight...

Hey all, I tried several times to install OSX Mavericks on my Latitude 7440 regarding to pokenguyen's post. Every time i click on install (or in verbose mode or safe mode) the installer crashes and a get a reboot. If i try to boot in normal mode i see the apple logo for 2 or 3 seconds and then the machine reboots. If i boot in safemode or verbose mode the console prints out the root device uuid and then the machine reboots.

Does anyone has the same problems like me? Or can anyone imagine what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Moderators

phohenbe, are you sure you follow exactly steps as the guide?

Clover should have automatically patch your kernel so you won't have this reboot issue.

Also for anyone who's installing Mavericks 10.9.4, you should skip step 14, - Kexts > Graphics > HD4400/4600 DP/HDMI Freeze

You'll lose QE/CI if you do. The above fix only works for 10.9.2 and 10.9.3.

NextVision -thanks for the tip. I just grabbed the SSDT from the link you have provided. All is working as before. My machine crashes after it resumes from sleep (lis close)! is it normal with your machine as well. It was crashing irrespective which SSDT i choose.

Thanks for the insight...

Surprisingly the only time I get a crash is when trying a cold boot.  Sleep works awesome sat here and raced my yoga 13 which is windows 8.1 and boots fast and wakes up even faster.  If I boot with -v I dont have a issue it boots right up and reboots work fine as well. Since my work gave me the laptop I didnt get to choose the 1920x1080 screen so mine is the 1366 that could be causing a little difference.  I am running the i7 with 16gb ram though.  

Have you tried editing the .plist and removing some .kexts from the extra directory (or rename them makes it easier if you need to fix in single user mode).

Each system will have a level of uniqueness to it even with all the same hardware so trial and error is best also recommend using a external drive and running time machine right before u make any changes makes restoring a breeze.

Thanks Jake Lo for your reply!

Yes, I'did this process more than once and tried different thumb-drives also.. Yesterday I've tried your MyHack method and had more success as with the Clover method.

My System is booting from USB and stucks with an error: "BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory"

But no reboot!

The Extra-Pack i used might be a problem, because its for Mavericks 10.9.2 and I've downloaded 10.9.4 from the Appstore. Another Point is that I've the FullHD display and not the 1366x768 one as mentioned in the guide.

Thanks for your help!