Dell Latitude E6520 Problems on both 10.8.5 and 10.9

GrandMstrBud

I have 2 Dell E6520's both have the i7 with Intel graphics and 8GB of RAM. I have tried the myhack tool with the proper bootpacks and it will go through the initial pre setup but never gets to the setup screen. I have done both the -v, -x, -v -x and tried different USB ports also. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I tested it on my E6430 with NVidia graphics and I get to the point where I can install but I don't want to put it on this laptop as it's the one I use for work all the time. I looked around and can't seem to find much on it but after trying for hours and hours I don't know if it just won't work with the Intel graphics or what's going on. Only difference between the 2 is one has a webcam and other has illuminated keyboard. So i figure I'll ask the experts on here for any advise. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I have 2 Dell E6520's both have the i7 with Intel graphics and 8GB of RAM. I have tried the myhack tool with the proper bootpacks and it will go through the initial pre setup but never gets to the setup screen. I have done both the -v, -x, -v -x and tried different USB ports also. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I tested it on my E6430 with NVidia graphics and I get to the point where I can install but I don't want to put it on this laptop as it's the one I use for work all the time. I looked around and can't seem to find much on it but after trying for hours and hours I don't know if it just won't work with the Intel graphics or what's going on. Only difference between the 2 is one has a webcam and other has illuminated keyboard. So i figure I'll ask the experts on here for any advise. 

Please list specs of your E6520's. 

Include processor ex.  i7-2720QM, not just i7

Display is only HD 3000 or has optimus Nvidia 4200m?

Display max resolution?

• Moderators

Include processor ex.  i7-2720QM, not just i7: i7-2640M

Display is only HD 3000 or has optimus Nvidia 4200m? HD 3000

Display max resolution? 1366x768

Use bootpack from my signature below for E6420. By the way, which version of OSX are you installing?

• Moderators

I tried both 10.8 and 10.9. I'll give it a shot though and see what happens

You mentioned you used the proper bootpack, what bootpack and where did you get it from?

Also, make sure to set your BIOS to the default, apply, and then set SATA Operation to AHCI.

• Moderators

The bootpack was from this site. Tried the one from your signature on 10.8.5 and no luck. It doesn't get to the install portion. Yes I loaded bios defaults and set SATA to AHCI

For ML, try this. Make sure to boot with -v option so you see where it errored.

Run myHack, select Install Extra and point to this file. (Extract it first)

E6520_i7-2640M.zip

For ML, try this. Make sure to boot with -v option so you see where it errored.

Run myHack, select Install Extra and point to this file. (Extract it first)

attachicon.gifE6520_i7-2640M.zip

I was trying with the -v flag. I'l try the extra file from your attachment and see how it goes. I was using the one in your signature but I believe that is for the 2620m

Everything installed fine this time. At the end I got installation failed though but it still booted up after I rebooted (I think I read somewhere it may do this). Anyway I plugged it into the ethernet because WiFi wasn't working and download and ran the EDP app. Went to reboot and it won't boot now. I did the "build my own" per the instructions and selected 6520 without NVidia because I didn't see the 6420 without NVidia as an option. Well back to square one but hey I'm further than before. Not sure what WiFi card is in there, probably Dell or Intel I'd assume