My SATA drives disappears and OS X says "Ejecting error"

polyzargone

Hi everyone !

I have a strange problem. I've just installed 10.9 on my AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.0 Ghz 2 GB DDR2 RAM. I have 2 SATA drives, one of 80 GB for OS X and another one of 500 GB for Windows 8.1 / Data. Everythings works fine but for an unknown reason, sometimes the second 500 GB drive suddendly disappear from my desktop saying Ejecting Error, try to disconnect the drive by…etc, just as if it was an USB external drive.

System Profiler detects it as a SATA drive, the icons aren't yellow, there's just like any normal drive and most of time, I can read/write on them without problems. I did a Time Machine backup without issues.

First I thought that it was a Kext conflict between SuperVIAATA.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext or AHCI_3rdPartySata.kext but I tried to remove the two last of them and be able to boot fine (Removing SuperVIAATA.kext result as "still waiting for root device"). But the problem persist and I can't figure why !

The drive works fine on Windows and shows no errors, SMART state is reported as capable and OK and the 80 GB hosting OS X works fine as well.

My desktop is a HP dc5750 with the latest BIOS (configure in Native IDE mode - no AHCI available) and beside this very anoying problem under OS X, it works fine.

Any ideas ?

post-54297-0-17901700-1397432574_thumb.jpg

Yes of course ;-)

double, triple check ! But after deeper searches, I've found out that the faulty drive was not the 500 GB but the 80 GB hosting OS X. Just removed it this afternoon and created a dual boot OS X/Windows 8.1 with boothfs and it seems OK so far. Though I still have to boot with cpus=1 which is really annoying but I didn't found a working fix for this.

• Administrators

Well, AMD kernel for 10.9.2 is probably not 100% guaranteed since Apple have not released source code yet... 10.9 and 10.9.1 used the same 13.0.0 kernel, so there was no issue updating and running 10.9.1 if 10.9 worked. Different story for 10.9.2 though... Furthermore, didn't that BSA R9 kernel get published before 10.9.2 was actually released?

If you're still running 10.9/10.9.1, you may want to try Bronya's AMD RC7 kernel. It certainly works on my legacy non-SSSE3 dual-core Xeon platform.

Hi Hervé,

Indeed, the BSA Kernel r9 seems to have been released in December 2013 so months before the official announcement from Apple. Unfortunately, I have already updated to 10.9.2 and I'm not willing to re-install a 10.9.1. So I guess I'll wait till the next stable AMD kernel update is out. I can manage the cpus=1 issue for now, after all the systems is still very functional. :-)

Thanks for your support and happy Hackintoshing !