Fan is always on

ubuntu2014

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Displayed T° could be wrong. CPU at 38° is something rarely seen in my opinion (at startup from cold for instance or after a wake).

What are you using to measure T°? What is your FakeSMC kext version? What SMBIOS profile are you using? Which CPU? Which D6xx model?

I have read and done the things of the site from,

Performance tuning with FakeSMC 

smbios Mac Pro 5.1

and the cpu is the t9300 (this was an t7100 which i replaced with an t9300)

This all work on a dell latitude d630 with nvidia 135 card.

Works smooth and well but the fan is only problem  i don't get fixed.

I have the nivida mounted with copper shims and arctic silver.

Displayed T° could be wrong. CPU at 38° is something rarely seen in my opinion (at startup from cold for instance or after a wake).

it does not seem abnormally to me, my temperature is similar

with Youtube Videos in Browser the GPU temperature goes up to 75 ºC

cputemp1.png

It has to do with the Gpu speed , when this speed is low (168 mhz) it works fine.

Fan goes on by 61 degrees and went of by 50 degrees. (Gpu temp and nothing to do) 

When the  Gpu goes after a while or sleep to 400 mhz then the fan stays on and the temp goes not under the 52 degrees.

When i start the osx again by a warm machine the story is the same.

Though i can't explain the Gpu speed to max with nothing to do.

The start is nice cpu and gpu goes nice in speed that is asked for the program once the Gpu speeds goes up it go not in a lower speed until restart. 

• Administrators

it does not seem abnormally to me, my temperature is similar

with Youtube Videos in Browser the GPU temperature goes up to 75 ºC

cputemp1.png

Well, I'm jealous, because CPU at or near full speed at 38° and NVS 135M at full speed at 65° is something I've never managed to obtain. 

Maybe it's it is a misunderstanding but temps are at idle speed, at full speeds my temps are higher of course   cpu 55 and gpu about 65 degrees,

Still if the computer is idle my temps are 38 cpu and about 50 gpu, hopefully i sett this straight.(my written english is not so good, i know, sorry)

kind regards leon

I think the fan should always stay on. It is the fan that is keeping the idle temperature low. It's like the chicken and the egg problem. If the fan was turned off, then the idle temperature would rise quickly and the fan would have to come on at a high speed to lower the temperature quickly then go off for a minute and have to come back on etc.

Even at idle the chips are still working, there is heat being generated and it has to be dissipated. Unlike desktops, the design of laptops does not allow for heat to escape passively because there is no airflow to the heatsink. the fan provides the only airflow so it is better for it to stay on at a low speed and keep the idle temperature at a constant low than for it to come on at high speed then turn off repeatedly.

Maybe ultra low power chips with 10W TDP would have a low enough idle temperature that airflow is not a problem but our D6xx with 35W TDP CPUs and a GPU sharing a tiny heatsink need active cooling to maintain low temperatures even at idle.