HP / Compaq 6910p - graphics issues

pepsaholic

I'm having display issues.

Through boot, everything's fine. Then at the end of the process, just before desktop would appear, the screen flickers (refresh) then comes back mirrored 4-times: 2 horizontal 2 vertical. Other stuff doesn't work right (yet) but being able to actually read stuff is important for working through.

HP/Compaq 6910p Intel graphics, Lion 10.7.4

Sorry, virtual noob here. My first hack (the Dell Mini 10v) went without a hitch.

Per http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-6910p/specs/

PROCESSOR / CHIPSET
Platform Technology : Intel Centrino Pro
Number of Cores : Dual-Core
64-bit Computing : Yes
Chipset : Mobile Intel GM965 Express
Graphics Processor : Intel GMA X3100 <-- *edit* derp: forgot to include the A to your Q
Screen type : Widescreen

I've got 2GB RAM and a 60 GB SATA SSD installed. I installed via straight MyHack procedure, and installed stuff I'd found from others' work on this model. (I don't have it with me to be more specific.) I also removed all ATI & nVidia .kext files, but it didn't help. (Nor did booting GraphicsEnabler=no). I've seen a report here (another thread, about SSD performance) that hooking up an external monitor might work, but I've not tried it yet.

Here's what it looks like once booted
10246450_10204060790347887_4270916776816

Thanks in advance

Oh, and here's another bit of weird: The network control panel lists no Ethernet. When I plug it into the network, I get internet, but the computer thinks it's connected through bluetooth! It doesn't seem to see the actual bluetooth as available, nor does it see the WiFi, but I expected that.

• Administrators

Can you post your specs as per provided with Terminal command lspci -nn (provided you have lspcidrv kext in /E/E)?

Bear in mind that Lion only supports your X3100 graphics chip in 32bit mode.

• Like 1

Can you post your specs as per provided with Terminal command lspci -nn (provided you have lspcidrv kext in /E/E)?

Bear in mind that Lion only supports your X3100 graphics chip in 32bit mode.

Since I posted, I've borked the (sort-of) running system with a different attempt method (iFail) which didn't work.

This is the first I'd heard that x3100 / 64bit is a problem. Good to know. Is that just Lion, or an across-the-board problem?

With that info, it sounds like I'll try installing in 32bit mode (unless SL/10.6 will support it in 64bit.)

• Administrators

There is no support for Intel GMA X3100 in 64bit kernel mode, whatever the Mac OS X version; Apple never released 64bit kexts for that GPU.

32bit kernel mode stopped at Lion, all subsequent OS X versions are 64bit kernels only. You must boot your HP in 32bit kernel mode, full stop.

• Like 1

OK… this is quickly becoming 'not fun' anymore. After learning the potential problem, I managed to get the machine up… once, with the bootloader from the installer.

I have the same specs, and followed the procedure described here:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.7.5/Portables#HP_6910p

… I got through it, and had to infer the last step as installing the bootloader onto the target drive. As soon as I did, megabork. Now the installer won't even boot.

AFAIK the only things different from the listed spec/procedure are:

1/ My source Lion install image is 10.7.4 (where that procedure mentioned updating to 10.7.4 after install)

2/ He's calling for one (of 2 listed) specific Chameleon updates "2255 or 2263" but all I had access to at the time was 2254*

3/ I did not install the 'extra kext to read hardware temps' as they seemed to be optional, and something to look into once the system was up and running

I'm currently downloading both listed Chameleon versions, as well as the most recent, and completely wiping and rebuilding my installer drive. Even with the 'wrong' Chameleon update post-install, that doesn't (at least in my mind) explain why the installer disk is now broken.

I will give it another go, but yeah… this is no longer 'fun' in any sense of the word, except sarcasm.

• Administrators

There's no reason why you would not be able to use the latest Chameleon currently available (v2.2 r2377 or r2378). Download Chameleon Wizard tool to manage that.

You just need to edit your Chameleon boot plist so that your effectively boot in 32bit kernel mode. You can do that by selecting/checking the option in the Wizard or by manually entering the option arch=i386 at boot loader startup.

If your machine is not booting right now, what does it say? Can you tell us what you get booting with -v flag?

• Like 1