Media Bay Hard Drive Problems

rj1

Hi,

This posting was originally placed in the 6xx thread but I got no luck with the responses there.

"I've been having a look round the forums to see if anyone else has had problems tying to use a second hard drive in the media bay, I couldn't find anything. I've tried using one in two different D630s now and I get the same, or roughly the same, deal each time.

Initially the drive mounts up fine and might even survive a wake from sleep or two, possibly even a reboot. But pretty soon the drive gets messed up. Sometimes it is recoverable with Disk Utility sometimes I need to use Disk Warrior to revive it, sometimes it's just plain dead and requires reformatting.

I've tried several different drives, various capacities and manufacturers. I've tried two different media bay hard drive trays. I've tried two different computers. I've tried 10.6.7 and 10.6.8.

I'd love to hear anyone else's experience with this issue. Is it possible to make it work? I do hope so. Thanks."

Folks suggested I try messing with Dock setting in BIOS but I'm loath to to this without some further info - Does anyone have experience of Dock setting in BIOS affecting a hard drive installed in the media bay?

Does anybody have any experience of using hard drives in the media bay? if so please share it here.

Thanks everybody.

• Administrators

Hey Mate,

My Guess is, that the lack of response is that no body have a media bay HD, hence its hard to devleolp a patch for it :)

I have been thinking about buying one for testing.. but.. well.. sometimes there is a faar path from thought to action ;)

I think its a emulation issue.. just to be sure.. you dont have this issue if you run linux or windows.. right ?

Hi, I have brought media bay candy a couple weeks ago.

There're few issues with it.

When I boot up Lion I see media bay partitions, but sometimes I don't.

It looks like that the media bay hdd is in sleep mode, cuz if I open up Disk Utility I see the disk and I can mount it after clicking Repair > Stop Repair > Mount. (Just mount button click doesn't do anything)

I tried to boot up osx from the hdd it loads extremely slow neither bidirectional file coping speed is ok.

Hi, I have brought media bay candy a couple weeks ago.

There're few issues with it.

When I boot up Lion I see media bay partitions, but sometimes I don't.

It looks like that the media bay hdd is in sleep mode, cuz if I open up Disk Utility I see the disk and I can mount it after clicking Repair > Stop Repair > Mount. (Just mount button click doesn't do anything)

I tried to boot up osx from the hdd it loads extremely slow neither bidirectional file coping speed is ok.

Where did you buy media bay? Which model?? Can you post product URL??

mine is set up like this 1 partition/ GUID/ mac journal extended.. I use the boot 123 disc by leepy as my bootloader, sometimes after removing it and re installing it it wont show on my desktop,I have to disc utility repair and after stop all is fine,next time after shutdown on the desktop no issues ,If you dual boot that might be an issue, and no I cannot boot from it either, but it works well with time machine and storage for me