D430 - issues with triple boot Grub

gpetrowich

Ok, I started this weekend. Took my Dell d430 with a 1.8 inch zif and a dual boot (SL and Win7) and installed the msata zif adapter and a 256 gb SSD. My goal was tripple boot SL, Win7 and Mint Linux).

I used this as the step by step (http://lifehacker.com/5698205/how-to-triple-boot-your-hackintosh-with-windows-and-linux) but obviously used this site's hack instructions instead of tony.

Anyway, it is all working "pretty good" but I have a few things I need help with.

First, the hackintosh side worked perfectly until I installed the other two OS, now the SL wireless doesn't work anymore (it did when I started) and neither does the LAN).

The Win7 works perfectly and so does the Linux (including broadcom support).

But I'm still on the GRUB bootloader and I'm thinking that's the problem with the SL install. I got to the end and the GRUB loader works to boot all three so I was chicken to go back and install the Chameleon cause I didn't want to screw it up since all three sides work (although issues with the SL).

Can I/should I use my myhack install USB and reinstall the Chameleon boot loader and if so, will it tripple boot correctly? I'm worried about the Win 7 not working once I much up the MBR and go back to GUID?

Any suggestions would be great.

I recored the startup times BEFORE i removed the HD and I'll post the new ones once I get things settled. I can already say the Win7 speed is VERY much faster. Linux screams. The SL is clunky but I'm hoping that can be resolved.

• Administrators

What wireless card do you have? I'm surprised Grub would have any effect on that...

There's no problem running/installing Win7 on a GPT partitioned disk. Simply format the target partition as FAT from OS X and you'll be able to see it and reformat it NTFS afterwards during Win7 installation.

Linux, can't remember, haven't bothered with it for many many years now, but I'm pretty sure I had a successful triple boot with Chameleon before.

What wireless card do you have? I'm surprised Grub would have any effect on that...

-- It's the broadcom, I forget the number but the one that came in the Dell 430.

There's no problem running/installing Win7 on a GPT partitioned disk. Simply format the target partition as FAT from OS X and you'll be able to see it and reformat it NTFS afterwards during Win7 installation.

-- I know, I've successfully installed it on the GPT and that is what I am running on right now.

Linux, can't remember, haven't bothered with it for many many years now, but I'm pretty sure I had a successful triple boot with Chameleon before.

-- but the bootloader I am running is the GRUB on the Linux partition (the last one I installed). It is booting all three, but...

When I go back to OS X, it boots, but neither the LAN nor the Wireless work, and I can't run EDP since I am not online. I am wondering if the network KEXT's run from the Chameleon bootloader before OS X boots and that is why they are not loading, since I am using the GRUB loader?

How do I get it to go back to the Chameloen loader? Should I use the MyHack USB and re-install the Chameleon, and if so, will it still see the windows and linux?

Thanks

• Administrators

kext = Kernel EXTension, it's another name for drivers, i.e. it's part of the OS, not Chameleon which is "just" a boot loader (although it does help to inject parameters to the OS). Chameleon would not prevent a LAN or WLAN kext to load.

You can check your hardware specs with Terminal command lspci -nn and post us the output. In addition, list us the kext you have in /Extra/Extensions folder.

Yes, you can simply install/re-install Chameleon through myHack; it should still allow you to boot Win and, in theory, Linux (TMX bootloader is just a copy of Chameleon afterwards). You would normally find myHack in Applications folder, there's no need to reboot from your USB installer.

One more thing. The GRUB loader is on the Linux Parition (sd4) and the OSX Chameleon was on the OSX parition (sd1). When I put the Chameleon back on sd1 (GUID), how do I know it will still see the Win7 on sd2 which is MBR?

Ok... I got this all worked out. The Linux issue just took a reinstall of Linux. I synced the drives for hybrid MBR/GUID but it wouldn't work until I reinstalled Linux on the last partition. Thankfully, Linux install was the easiest and cleanest of the three. Then went back and EDP updated my Hackinstosh side and it's all good. And the Chameleon now sees all three (although when I select Linux, it still goes to Grub for the final step).

But success and man is the SSD much faster. Mac side went from 50 seconds to about 17 on boot up. I've got video of the Mac and Win 7 before and after. I'll post them in the next few days. Windows 7 got twice as fast on boot up as well. And Linux... always fast, now even faster.

But I will say the laptop is hotter on the bottom and it seems a little WORSE on battery life. Might need to tweak some power settings for that.

• Administrators

These little D430s are always running hot (ventilation is next to ridiculous due to notebook size and available space) but battery life should have extended after switching from standard Zif PATA HDD to mSATA (no HDD mechanical parts to drive any more and mSATA drive's electrical consumption is extremely low).

Note that I've just updated the thread about native SpeedStep on the D430 so you may want to have a look at it.

Anyway, good that your got it all working in the end.