Does MLPF install work for 10.8.5?

jruschme

I got it into my head today to try and update my D820n (Quadro 110) with C2D processor from Lion to ML. I created a myHack installer for 10.8.5 using the Extra pack from https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2466-dell-latitude-d620-nvidia-nvs-110m-ml-with-full-qeci/ . Booting with both the -x and -v options, I can see that it gets to a point just after detecting the wireless card and then hangs.

I'm not sure where to proceed from here. My first question would be whether these instructions even work for 10.8.5 as they appear to have been written when 10.8.2 was current. Also, is there an issue because I used the D620 Extras; if so, can you point me to a set of D820 extras that might work?

Thanks...

Drat! So, the question is- what is causing the hang on my installer? It looks like the last significant line of output is "LPC initialization failed" with something about C-states not initialized.

Any thoughts on how to debug this?

• Administrators

You're going to have to create your own boot pack by following the same concepts I did but using stuff specific to the D820n and that should be in the D820n Lion pack. It's all in the thread you linked to.

You can always download both referenced packs and compare the differences, then build from there.

Good luck with your experiment.

One more question...

I was doing some more reading and saw comments to the effect that several things like Connect To Server and Bluetooth pairing don't work on the resulting system. Is that your experience with your D620? If so, it may be something of a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks...

• Administrators

MLPF is a crude Hack and, as such, suffers from bugs (if we want to call MLPF anomalies like that). That is stated in the guides. The "bugs" you list affect all MLPF installations, D620 or other D Series included.

You would be able to connect to another Mac or Hack (and vice versa) but not to SMB servers if memory serves me right. The (now very extended) thread on MacRumors mentions it all.

Pairing with BT devices can be or appear problematic and hang forever in the very last part of the process (info exchange with the device). For instance, that's what happens when I attempt to pair my BT Headset with my D430 or D620 under MLPF ML (whilst there's no problem under Lion or SL). Still, I can get the headset to pair and act as audio device on both. So it does work in this particular case.